A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Premium
38 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

Thanks Rob.  I've just had a bit of a running session, despite the temperature in my railway barn being 11 degrees, and that as a result of leaving the small heater on for 24 hrs. It was about 5 earlier this week! So my excellent station building, based upon Halwill Junction and made for me by Stubby, saw BR 6364 and three B&C Hawksworths passing through. It does make a handsome train. 

What are you doing running 6364, and grotty coaches, through Halwill Ian?

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, 2ManySpams said:

What are you doing running 6364, and grotty coaches, through Halwill Ian?

ISTR that, possibly during the last war, facilities between the two railways at Launceston were rationalised. It is only a slight stretch of the imagination for a post-war daily WR train to run to Okehampton and back, just as there was retention of route knowledge by SR and GWR crews over both the Exeter - Plymouth routes. And of course, my mid-Surrey grammar skool was right by the Redhill - Reading route, where a daily WR train plied each way, headed by 43xx and later by Manors. And of course my station isn't actually called Halwill but Beaworthy.....

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Oldddudders said:

ISTR that, possibly during the last war, facilities between the two railways at Launceston were rationalised. It is only a slight stretch of the imagination for a post-war daily WR train to run to Okehampton and back, just as there was retention of route knowledge by SR and GWR crews over both the Exeter - Plymouth routes. And of course, my mid-Surrey grammar skool was right by the Redhill - Reading route, where a daily WR train plied each way, headed by 43xx and later by Manors. And of course my station isn't actually called Halwill but Beaworthy.....

Did you ever see the Skools on that turn past your Skool? I think you be too young for that?

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

Did you ever see the Skools on that turn past your Skool? I think you be too young for that?

I saw 39 of the 40. Harrow was the first to go - and I hadn't seen her! 30914/5/6 were regulars on a train we would see when walking to skool. 

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
On 16/01/2021 at 11:17, gwrrob said:

The eagle eyed amongst you will notice the new bauxite liveried van that awaits finishing.

This was painted using Railmatch LMS bauxite over grey primer although the shade does look rather light to other models I've seen , any thoughts.

DSCN7476.JPG.18568f6c2bb7620bb7ea260f3c7cb81b.jpg.ca5d1c9a1b5396c815df9be6f1eb117e.jpg

• Like 11

On 13/01/2021 at 14:49, gwrrob said:

Talking of short freights in the 50s and this rather nice close up is the Ivybridge goods. Any takers on what the wagons pictured are.

0207BF2A-388B-4C27-A1EE-4FFC87247CBB.jpeg.88118d7e84d0b76fa27b58da6a66672f.jpeg.7ae75efb0858bd7ab0d415a8b1ff7fd3.jpeg

First wagon I would say is a Stephenson Clarke Mineral Wagon either of timber or steel frame. The vans are of GWR origin, most likely 1920 build onwards, then possibly a LNER wagon as it looks as if it's back is bending slightly. LMS Goods Van, LNWR Dia.88 Goods van and a GWR Toad to finish.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

2 hours ago, gwrrob said:

This was painted using Railmatch LMS bauxite over grey primer although the shade does look rather light to other models I've seen , any thoughts.

DSCN7476.JPG.18568f6c2bb7620bb7ea260f3c7cb81b.jpg.ca5d1c9a1b5396c815df9be6f1eb117e.jpg

Very nice Robin. I'm sure there's a post somewhere on RMweb - I think from the esteemed Coachman - suggesting that Presision LMS bauxite is the way to go as it's distinctly brown as LMS bauxite apparently was in real life. After reading that post, that's the route I've gone down and it matches the LMS bauxite Bachmann have applied to their recent LMS bauxite 1 and 3 plank wagons. 

Not wishing to upset any apple carts, and  as I'm sure you already know, the diagonal bracing on these vans was a BR modification. The Ratio kit seems to be the best option for getting these vans in LMS condition, and you can also do the fitted versions using the appropriate Parkside under frame. The Ratio kit covers diagrams that numbered c. 20,000 in real life, so a good few are required :-) 

Maybe this van you've very shewn would be a good option for your '57 scene?

Edited by BenL
  • Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, gwrrob said:

I think the shade varied in BR days, so why not in LMS days as well?

8 minutes ago, BenL said:

a good option for your '57 scene?

For a brief moment, I thought you were saying 'S7 scene'.

Anything you wish to tell us then, Robin?

• Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

I think the shade varied in BR days, so why not in LMS days as well?

In hindsight I should have primed with red oxide.

17 minutes ago, BenL said:

I think from the esteemed Coachman - suggesting that Presision LMS bauxite is the way to go as it's distinctly brown as LMS bauxite apparently was in real life.

Dearer and less readily available Ben although if Coach recommends them who am I to argue.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

In hindsight I should have primed with red oxide.

Dearer and less readily available Ben although if Coach recommends them who am I to argue.

Fair enough Robin. I think the post I was recalling is in the following thread and it's not quite as definitive as I was suggesting - Coachman says that the Precision version is 'fine' as LMS bauxite was darker than people sometimes expect:

Anyway, as the learned Captain suggests, I'm sure these things varied so don't mind my ramblings.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

I've had an email from Harry at H & A Models with a heads up on the supply of Alan Gibson wagon wheels. I'm sure other suppliers have them but I've had excellent service from these particularly during lockdown and will wait.

We have been in contact with Colin from Alan Gibson and he tells us that he & his wife contracted Covid the week before Christmas & although they had a relatively mild experience, it still laid them low & he is not up to full speed as yet.  Colin has told us that he plans to to catch up on retail orders over the next 4-6 weeks.  Based on this information we would expect our wheel delivery mid to late February.

• Informative/Useful 5
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold

Re: the bauxite debate Robin.

I'd imagine like others have said once transfers are on and the van receives a coat of matt varnish and weathering the colour will darken. 

As CK mentioned wagon colours would vary especially in your chosen period post-war. 

Mark 

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

If the bracing is incorrect then that makes my LMS van incorrect too then Robin.

I'll have a look in the Essery LMS Wagon book later but like you mine is all finished so I'm leaving well alone. 

As for the bauxite paint I use any shade I think looks right... ;)  Tamiya NATO brown is my starting point these days. I'm sure there would be a Vallejo equivalent. 

I would continue along the path you have taken Robin personally and enjoy completing your build. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, gwrrob said:

Yours is correct Sir.

1771222715_511486LMSdia.1978vacfitted..jpga.jpg.8c417baf0e64a182131883138d201aa7.jpg

Blimey! 

Now I'm confused... ;)

IIRC that was a Airfix/GMR van body. I think it had Lyons branding on it. 

I personally thought the Dapol body was the same... 

Colourwise that was a Tamiya homebrew.. 

Edited by 46444
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

36 minutes ago, 46444 said:

Blimey! 

Now I'm confused... ;)

IIRC that was a Airfix/GMR van body. I think it had Nestles branding on it. 

I personally thought the Dapol body was the same... 

Colourwise that was a Tamiya homebrew.. 

Could it be the Ratio kit body on a Parkside chassis? 

Looks cracking. Do you happen to know where you got the 10' wheel base branding from? I've been struggling to find a source...

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1