A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Premium
23 hours ago, gwrrob said:

I'd better sort some stock out for 1957 sets and shewn before but apt as the kit has recently been re-released by Five 79  https://five79.co.uk/RC416/. Built and painted my yours truly but weathered by @mattingleycustom a few years ago now. Not too bad to a blind man on a galloping horse, it will look great running with my Hornby subs.

1497994487_DSCN7477(2).JPG.ca7246869a1626e93a4d0e8b8b0886b7.JPG985685282_DSCN7478(2).JPG.29f30b7e6b45c9316e1d7f51e938bc0a.JPG1068388890_DSCN7481(2).JPG.b77501b58c2cc8f1fa12e93e0dabcf51.JPG

Hi Robin

Now be careful, on Wright Writes someone was making one of these for his LNER Yorkshire layout and was told quite firmly that they were built for East Anglia and wouldn't have got to Yorkshire.......utter rubbish they had wheels  as we all know no railway man ever took notice of the "return to" label and sent wagons and parcels coaches all over the shop but never home.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 6
  • Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Robin

Now be careful, on Wright Writes someone was making one of these for his LNER Yorkshire layout and was told quite firmly that they were built for East Anglia and wouldn't have got to Yorkshire.......utter rubbish they had wheels as as we all know no railway man ever took notice of the "return to" label and sent wagons and parcels coaches all over the shop but never home.

Clive, I don’t think Rob has to worry. There is plenty of photographic evidence of an ex LNER 4 wheel BY on the Kingsbridge branch.

Even if it isn’t the exact same diagram to us Western aficionados they all look the same :)

• Like 4
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 3

On 21/01/2021 at 16:37, 46444 said:

Or is it on the side like a proper job Ginsters?

;)

Talking of pasty jobs on the side, that reminds me of almost a year ago today, in this very topic ...

According to information received from Lash (of this parish),  one CPO Pertwee (last seen on Milton Quay station) has been organising an "oriental import business". Along with a known associate "Fatso" Johnson, who is believed to have a very serious pastie habit. They may have been seen in the vicinity. Allegedly, some pasties were last seen being carried away from the scene of the crime. British Transport Police would like to interview CPO Pertwee or "Fatso" Johnson. If you, or any member of the public, has any information to share, please call Pastie CrimeStoppers immediately.

I can neither confirm nor deny whether the ultra-secret HMS Hades Naval Supply Base (at the end of Richmond Walk, off Devonport Hill in Stonehouse, Plymouth) contains a strategic reserve of the left-handed pasties.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 3

• gwrrob changed the title to A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.
  • RMweb Gold
On 23/01/2021 at 18:37, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Robin

Now be careful, on Wright Writes someone was making one of these for his LNER Yorkshire layout and was told quite firmly that they were built for East Anglia and wouldn't have got to Yorkshire.......utter rubbish they had wheels  as we all know no railway man ever took notice of the "return to" label and sent wagons and parcels coaches all over the shop but never home.

And there are published photos of one of these in use on a Cornish branch line, Helston, I think.

In order to get there, it would have had to come down the main line...

John 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Round of applause 2

5 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

And there are published photos of one of these in use on a Cornish branch line, Helston, I think.

In order to get there, it would have had to come down the main line...

John 

Seems like I'll need one then. Now I wonder who's got a spare?

As an afterthought, might this have been the final version of that Helston

branch oddity, the rabbit van. I've not found any reference to either the

stock used, of when it finally succumbed.

Edited by Mulgabill
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

For all you GWR fans who didn't want Hornby's Large Prairie, Dapol has shown two images of their Large Prairie EP, with saying they are planning different variations of the classes later on, like the 3100, 8100, and 5100.

(Page 83, about 2/3rds the way down the page)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

2 hours ago, Mulgabill said:

As an afterthought, might this have been the final version of that Helston branch oddity, the rabbit van. I've not found any reference to either the stock used, of when it finally succumbed.

Was that Gus Honeybun's personal transport?

Much-loved rabbit TV presenter Gus Honeybun has celebrated his 50th birthday. The rabbit puppet, famed through the 1970s and 80s for his 'bunny hop' birthday wishes on Westcountry TV, attracted hundreds of wellwishers for his celebrations at Flambards. Among these was his former co-presenter, David 'Fitz' Fitzgerald, now a presenter for BBC Radio Devon.

Managers at the Helston attraction were stunned by the numbers of people who had come from all over the country to wish the famous bunny many happy returns. Many were repaying him for the years of pleasure he gave to children of all ages whilst presenting his own regional TV programme, Gus Honeybun's Magic Birthdays.

https://www.falmouthpacket.co.uk/news/9170588.rabbit-presenter-gus-honeybun-turns-50/

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
47 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

Another pannier to add to the ANTB collection in the shape of the new Bachmann 94xx in early crest black. She goes rather nicely with my crimson stock. What a weighty beast she is too and plenty of detail to savour. Here's a few shots taken before I run her in and more of her in action over the weekend, hopefully.

It's one of the most stunning looking RTR locos in recent times, I think, Robin. I do like just looking at mine, which unfortunately is just about all I can do with it at the moment.

Membership of the Kernow Towers First Class Pannier Lounge hasn't yet been granted by the Membership Committee.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

Membership of the Kernow Towers First Class Pannier Lounge hasn't yet been granted by the Membership Committee.

You're more discerning than me. I'll let it in.

1359268327_DSCN4548(3).JPG.04832d1ad8264e17c126a362291ed272.JPG

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold

Well, I've done my best with my 94XX, I really have.

I've dismantled the chassis and had the centre drivers and axle out. The difference in the back-to-back between this pair of wheels and the other pair is very noticeable when you use a back-to-back gauge.

I've applied as much pressure as I dare, without risking damage to the wheelset itself, but the wheels simply won't budge on the axle at all.

The space between the splashers would appear to be too narrow for P4 wheelsets and it's by no means certain that one could remove sufficient metal to get them to fit. It may be possible, but I don't know at the moment.

I think it's going to have to go back. Hopefully, I'll be in time to be able to have another one sent to me.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 12

10 hours ago, toboldlygo said:

Have you tried Holy Water, a Crucifix and a Pasty with it? ;) 

Ah ! So that's whats in a P4 modellers toolbox, I often wondered how the fine work was done !

• Like 3
  • Funny 9
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, bgman said:

Ah ! So that's whats in a P4 modellers toolbox, I often wondered how the fine work was done !

Wot's a P4? 

• Like 2
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1