A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, The Fatadder said:

Im interested to see how Accurascale go about doing the smokebox door / number on their BR releases, as if I get one I think I am more likely than not to go GWR Black. 

A close up attached of the BR version smokebox door, with numberplate and shed plate

00-Manor-BR-Smokebox.png

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, McC said:

A close up attached of the BR version smokebox door, with numberplate and shed plate

Is there a gap between the light blue front of the number plate and the smokebox door?    That certainly makes cutting it off a lot easier if I do go down that route....   I am assuming that your smokebox door is a solid part of the boiler moulding.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, The Fatadder said:

Is there a gap between the light blue front of the number plate and the smokebox door?    That certainly makes cutting it off a lot easier if I do go down that route....   I am assuming that your smokebox door is a solid part of the boiler moulding.

The Number Plate is a separate part, so quite easily removed, the smokebox door is likewise a dedicated part (the boiler is actually Die-cast) (the two handles shown are both supplied too, to offer a little variation should you have several examples)

Edited by McC
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 2

54 minutes ago, toboldlygo said:

Only one had the Hawksworth in GWR Lined Green

I didn't realise that - I thought all or most of the batch of 1947-built Modified Halls came out lined and with Hawksworth tenders but I'm away from my books so can't check.

• Friendly/supportive 3

53 minutes ago, McC said:

The Number Plate is a separate part, so quite easily removed, the smokebox door is likewise a dedicated part (the boiler is actually Die-cast) (the two handles shown are both supplied too, to offer a little variation should you have several examples)

So with this, the smokebox door is same through out all of the Manors, with the smokebox plate as a separately fitted piece? With the horizontal bits of the handle extruding under the smokebox plate? 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
42 minutes ago, BenL said:

I didn't realise that - I thought all or most of the batch of 1947-built Modified Halls came out lined and with Hawksworth tenders but I'm away from my books so can't check.

I got confused there was actually 10 - oops.

Lot 366 (6971-6990) which entered traffic with Hawksworth Tenders (from October 1947 to April 1948) - 6980 being the last Modified Hall to enter traffic with the GWR, the rest of the batch under BR. So you've got a very limited time frame for that part of the batch if you model GWR.

I got asked to rename the old Replica Graythwaite Hall (which is in Lined GWR Green) and there was an issue and it retained it's name ( I think the name he'd chose had a Collett tender). 

Edited by toboldlygo
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Ribird said:

So with this, the smokebox door is same through out all of the Manors, with the smokebox plate as a separately fitted piece? With the horizontal bits of the handle extruding under the smokebox plate? 

No, the earlier door is unique tooling - here's a snap of it

Screenshot 2021-02-03 at 16.53.56.png

• Like 9

From what I have seen and the input of Mike aka The Stationmaster I am certain that all bases are going to be covered on this loco.

I for one wouldn't start to question the accuracy unless there was a glaring and obvious mistake ( like some others on the market ) and having rewatched the video announcement I feel this will be expertly produced and worthy of a place on any GWR layout.

G

p.s. pity its not a 7mm one !

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, bgman said:

From what I have seen and the input of Mike aka The Stationmaster I am certain that all bases are going to be covered on this loco.

I for one wouldn't start to question the accuracy unless there was a glaring and obvious mistake ( like some others on the market ) and having rewatched the video announcement I feel this will be expertly produced and worthy of a place on any GWR layout.

G

p.s. pity its not a 7mm one !

The combination of Accurascale and Mike Stationmaster is what has convinced me to succumb to the temptation of the dark side for this (though not for the particular example they measured up less than a mile down the road from here).  7800 Torquay Manor will run occasional excursions on my multi-era Southern/BR(S) themed train set...

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, 2ManySpams said:

Say nothing CK

I'm glad you've turned up as I think you need a Manor yourself, used on an exchange working along the SR to Oaky. Piloted by a T9 no less, number 30716.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

49 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

Aw!

Now he's going to sit in front of his computer screen until someone makes an announcement! :D

8 minutes ago, 2ManySpams said:

Say nothing CK

do-you-constantly-think-of-quitting-your-job-and-dread-going-to-work-in-the-morning-heres-what-can-help.jpg.b683d41fb1c1d414d2e78db28f56c20e.jpg

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
52 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

I'm glad you've turned up as I think you need a Manor yourself, used on an exchange working along the SR to Oaky. Piloted by a T9 no less, number 30716.

As you know, I have no Manors

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Gold

Rapido have posted these CAD images of their 15xx and design work is almost complete. Note the fire irons on the rear to hide the join as on the 16xx.

15xx.png.3e9a2b8d3592b4dd25f5e9775d557cde.png15xx.pnga.png.5cbff191a846c84d0f776fb25698325d.png15xx.pnga.pngb.png.3364e66fd2e3ea97b6ab3df8f9fe3559.png

Edited by gwrrob
  • Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold

A much better solution would be not making the cab diecast then there is no need for the trench and the slight colour missmatch over the two different components seen on some of the Model Rail  tank...

Thankfully I have no need for either of them as purely BR machines, but it is very disappointing from a manufacturer I had high hopes for.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

1 hour ago, gwrrob said:

Rapido have posted these CAD images of their 15xx and design work is almost complete. Note the fire irons on the rear to hide the join as on the 16xx.

Note the following comment in the newsletter regarding the issue on the 15xx

We still have a couple of tweaks to make to both, most importantly making the bunker and the cab a single moulding on the '15XX'. But we should see Engineering Prototypes of both locomotives later this year.

And if any are interested in the Gunpowder van, it goes to tooling as soon as Chinese New Year end later this month, with the following in the newsletter:

We’ve been able to incorporate key detail differences in order to produce BR’s Diagram 1/260 van (Lots 2490, 2499 and 2544 only), the GWR’s Diagram Z4 and the Railway Clearing House’s standard gunpowder van design.

Edited by mdvle
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1