A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

I seem to have acquired my first cut and shut locomotive.

I can just about live with concealing the rear bunker "seam" with the fire irons and tools etc but not very keen on the notch along the bunker top.

On the plus side it is weighty and runs seamlessly............

DSCN3402.JPG.4fe3b83e3ea4f2b02c9d6f82658e3451.JPGDSCN3394.JPG.9551295b8569cd419f938a8cc38aa15f.JPGDSCN3404.JPG.bdca9c90d1c88fdece7bc6c0e920b0fd.JPG

• Like 10
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, cary hill said:

I can just about live with concealing the rear bunker "seam" with the fire irons and tools etc but not very keen on the notch along the bunker top.

DSCN3402.JPG.4fe3b83e3ea4f2b02c9d6f82658e3451.JPGDSCN3394.JPG.9551295b8569cd419f938a8cc38aa15f.JPGDSCN3404.JPG.bdca9c90d1c88fdece7bc6c0e920b0fd.JPG

That is a lovely looking loco but who on earth thought that bunker was okay? 

Rob. 

• Agree 6
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
42 minutes ago, cary hill said:

Ah, well; that's one crossed off the list rather than ticked off the list.

John

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, toboldlygo said:

Lost his sense of direction, last seen heading towards Doncaster :O 

Hell fire! The L&NER ? Have they taken leave of their senses? !!!!................oh.....hang on.....

• Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
39 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

That is a lovely looking loco but who on earth thought that bunker was okay? 

Rob. 

No wonder there were no photos shewn before release.

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

No wonder there were no photos shewn before release.

Yep. All of a sudden there it was.....

• Friendly/supportive 1

For those of us of a certain age, it is difficult to find fault with the above mentioned problems.  In my OO collection in those far off sixties, there were discrepancies that would have made todays modeller blush but we were content to have something that at least looked the part!

However, in their quest for even greater detail, as has been quoted so many times, some parts are so fragile they don't remain in place or are subject to breakage.  Not much can be done about that but the question that springs to mind, are some details worth it.  Inside cab or under floor detail is very nice but how often is it noticed after the first close look and when running can not be given a second look.:scratch_one-s_head_mini:

Brian.

• Like 4
  • Agree 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

I have to say I reserve judgement on Rapido locos. 

The J70, certainly the three examples that I have/had were not without issue. After  investigation and tweaking, I now have two examples that run reasonably well. That said, the main fault, that of the motion rubbing on the inside of the skirts should arguably have been identified prior to production. 

Now we have the 16xx which is a delightful little model marred by what is a really odd design feature.....

I really fancy the proposed E1 but can't help but wonder if we will see some sort of issue emerge..........I really hope not..

Rob.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Just to be brief, that looks shite. How much?

Shirley that is just not fitted correctly, or is it access to the just two wires thing?

Wait a few months and buy two for the same price as one now and fettle the Bunkers. Bargain!

Ar$£

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Possibly being slightly controversial here......Moi !

For those of us who are able / lucky enough to build our own it's down to ourselves as to how well they eventually look and run, and that is one reason why I went over to the dark side of 7mm kits.

I treat most of them as an aid to scratch building and any discrepancies can be fettled or rebuilt and when finally finished I am happy to sit back and say "I built that" without anything likely to fall off after being soldered together.

Even some of the older 7mm kits can be made to resemble a particular loco and apart from the time invested in making them I have found the costs are getting to be almost comparable with some of the higher end 4mm RTR offerings coming onto the market, at which point I reserve my comments on the Heljan range and costs of same.

I am encouraged by the Accurascale Manor announcement and wish them well with the final model and at a decent price point it's one I would buy if still modelling in 4mm.

As for RTR 7mm locos etc there are also some excellent models now available as well we know, if only the 4mm side was as good in some cases.

G

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold

There is certainly a lot of satisfaction, and frustration, in building things yourself and sometimes it is the only option. I am old enough to say that my first pannier was Tri-ang, we have come a long way from there. My K’s pannier is still in use, no brake gear, tank fronts painted green because at the time I didn’t know any better. Perhaps because of my age, or just my approach to modelling I don’t get obsessed by what I regard as minor differences in detail, especially things you can hardly see at normal viewing distance. My 16xx hasn’t arrived yet so I will make a judgment when I see it. The Bachmann 94xx is superb and runs beautifully, probably better than my kit built efforts and the weight certainly helps. 

We are spoiled by the models available today, enjoy them and remember the biggest error is the distance between the wheels.

Brian

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Gold

Whichever way you look at it, the MR-Rapido offering is going to be the only viable way to a 16XX for many folk, for a long time to come.

The rest of the body looks pretty good to me, with some nicely finessed detail.

The kit alternative, believe me, isn't straightforward either and using some filler on the bunker of the new loco is going to be much, much less hassle than building the kit, although I did get pleasure from building the Cotswold kit (just not all the time!).

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold

I know what you mean about the 16xx kit, I have made a start on the latest version of the 2021, certainly challenging, in fact I’ve put it to one side for the time being until I get my concentration back.

Brian

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold

I'd quite agree with all that's been said but can I be controversial too and say that I feel we have been hoodwinked slightly on this model. With no prior images shewn of what we were actually getting for our 150 sheets. As Tim and others have said, the detail on it is quite nice, I've seen one with the Busby chimney from above too which looks excellent but the elephant in the room is still the bunker. Quite a few of my shots shew 1608 running bunker first in Devon so a lot of work is needed to provide you lot with some worthwhile photos on here, even if I fit the fire irons. At least we can be positive about the running qualities from what I've seen.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Gold

Not really controversial, the bunker join does look disappointing in photos, I haven’t seen one for real. Other models have done it better so hard not to be critical.

Brian

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

Whichever way you look at it, the MR-Rapido offering is going to be the only viable way to a 16XX for many folk, for a long time to come.

The rest of the body looks pretty good to me, with some nicely finessed detail.

The kit alternative, believe me, isn't straightforward either and using some filler on the bunker of the new loco is going to be much, much less hassle than building the kit, although I did get pleasure from building the Cotswold kit (just not all the time!).

Why? Other firms have succesfully modelled the Swindon bunker, the 16xx is hardly unique in that regard. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, Denbridge said:

Why? Other firms have succesfully modelled the Swindon bunker, the 16xx is hardly unique in that regard. 

I don't quite understand your drift here.

If one wants a model of a 16Xx pannier, as opposed to any other kind of pannier, then you can either choose the MR-Rapido model or build what is now sold as the NuCast Partners whitemetal kit (or scratchbuild).

I appreciate that others have done the bunker without such a mould line, such as Bachmann, but that wasn't the point that I was making.

If you want a RTR 16XX, then it's the MR-Rapido offering or nothing, and if you choose the former, you then have a further choice as to whether to do something about that 'gap' or not.

And if you do choose to do something about the 'gap', you can either hide it with fire irons or do something a bit more permanent.

• Like 2
  • Agree 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, gwrrob said:

I'd quite agree with all that's been said but can I be controversial too and say that I feel we have been hoodwinked slightly on this model. With no prior images shewn of what we were actually getting for our 150 sheets. As Tim and others have said, the detail on it is quite nice, I've seen one with the Busby chimney from above too which looks excellent but the elephant in the room is still the bunker. Quite a few of my shots shew 1608 running bunker first in Devon so a lot of work is needed to provide you lot with some worthwhile photos on here, even if I fit the fire irons. At least we can be positive about the running qualities from what I've seen.

I have to agree. I might well have gone for one of the Busby examples. Given the price, it's at the upper echelon of what I would pay for such a loco, but I rather thought one would look quite nice on Sheep Dip. 

However, it should be right. I believe I have reasonadle expectation that it is. It clearly isn't.

Its a bodge. Explain it as you will, its still a bodge. 

You should not have to fill gaps, then make good. Or for that matter dangle fire irons across this join to disguise it. Neither will this accessorising hide the sides or the top edge of the bunker. 

This is a brand new loco. 

But......people will still buy these. And there in lies the issue. Therefore the message to Model Rail and Rapido is that this fault is accepted and no longer is a fault...........

It is. For me it's a glaring error. For this reason, I will not be buying one of these. 

Rant over. 

Rob.

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6