A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

I dip into this most-entertaining and enlightening thread from time to time, but not of late; until just now. 

I'm interested about the comments regarding the forthcoming 16XX Pannier (I had no idea that one was in the pipeline RTR).

If folk are dissatisfied with it, why not have a go at building a kit for the same prototype?

1862204381_16XX23.jpg.80719e37b6e91923f26688604ee8e869.jpg

1564809369_16XX24.jpg.f8c98f855431ba0577ef6e7891359d12.jpg

I built this for a friend using the latest Nu-Cast Partners kit for the 16XX, painting it in plain black (he'll do the essential weathering). 

An excellent white metal kit, with a lovely etched chassis. A joy to build. 

It might not have the 'finesse' that modern injection-moulded plastic RTR bodies have, but there's no disfiguring bunker seam. 

Now that's how the panel lines should have been, on the bunker of the Rapido/Model Rail one ;) 

• Agree 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Captain Kernow said:

Quite right too, Tony. And a lovely job you've made of it, too.

Here's my take on essentially the same kit, only just finished this week. I used the original Cotswold kit for the body and the same NuCast Partners chassis:

20210205_121039.jpg.1aed2c924690817908e4bd9813fd85e9.jpg

And I've just noticed, we've both chosen the same number - 1628 - the last 16XX in BR service at Croes Newydd!

Many thanks,

A lovely job, too!

Weathering just brings a model to life; much more natural. 

I chose 1628 because I took its picture at Chester, right at the end of its life.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

Ducky, linky not worky.

Sheepy. 

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

image.png.5bbe9f185b9ceefb27076df668b751ba.png

It was a moving version of this. The other was funny, this is just weird, bit like life really.

P

Is that one of those Tortoise point motors? 

• Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 10
  • Friendly/supportive 3

5 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

A pair of proper numberplates would make all the difference I think, Rob.

Absolutely correct!

1220065748_47xx002.JPG.c0812e7e668c7f03b63e223b81b0c484.JPG

This one was purchased off Australian EBay as an unlined green GW example. Lined out with a Fox transfers lining pack and Fox plates it has been a very reliable loco., handling the heaviest freight trains with ease. Removing the original numberplates was a PITA!

I was pulled by the real 4701 on 24/9/1960 on the Talyllyn Preservation Society special, she did the Padd.-Shrewsbury leg, which Dad and 9 y.o. me joined at Snow Hill. Over 60 years ago!

Cheers from Fortress WestOz,

Peter C.

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, john dew said:

Lovely shots Robin.  Does the 47xx perform ok or does it live up to its reputation? One was shedded at Birkenhead but so far I have resisted the temptation!

Keep safe

I got rid of mine a while ago John. Very poor runner.

Lovely large loco to look at, but it became an easy decision to PX it.

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, john dew said:

Lovely shots Robin.  Does the 47xx perform ok or does it live up to its reputation? One was shedded at Birkenhead but so far I have resisted the temptation!

Keep safe

Nearly three years since I had that one briefly on loan from @Trains&armour but due to several issues with them I've never succumbed to one of my own. Such a shame as they were much loved western engines.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold

Strangely their value seems to have held up rather well given the bad press the model had, I dont recall seeing any fire sale of unsold stock either.  I had given some thought to adding a second 47xx if the price had been right.   That said I still need to get the first one (PDK) running given it still doesnt have a decoder...

• Informative/Useful 2

10 minutes ago, The Fatadder said:

Strangely their value seems to have held up rather well given the bad press the model had, I dont recall seeing any fire sale of unsold stock either.  I had given some thought to adding a second 47xx if the price had been right.   That said I still need to get the first one (PDK) running given it still doesnt have a decoder...

There's been some reasonably heavily discounted at Kernow recently.  I hadn't brought one so took advantage of the price.  Came with the pony wheel unattached.  

David

• Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, 45568 said:

Absolutely correct!

1220065748_47xx002.JPG.c0812e7e668c7f03b63e223b81b0c484.JPG

. Removing the original numberplates was a PITA!

How did you remove them - mine is still boxed because it looks to be a daunting task because of the way they are moulded, and every thing around them just waiting to get carved off by accident........

• Friendly/supportive 3