A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

I can only see a couple on the hooks at the back, Robin, where are the rest?

There's only one more and a short shovel on the etch. It has a curve to it and I don't recall one being used on a pannier but I'll fit it so it don't offend.:read:

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, toboldlygo said:

They will be being test run here - once the move is complete ;) 

workshop_57.jpg.d2527074fbdc2bab4e92ec8ba7d73bdf.jpg

That has the look of a dental surgery... :D

Very nicely done mind and great for working on commissions.. 

:)

Edited by 46444
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, 46444 said:

That has the look of a dental surgery... :D

Very nicely done mind and great for working on commissions.. 

:)

Dental Surgery?

How insulting - advanced brain surgery more like :jester:

I can offer you a friends and family discount of 25% on a frontal lobe lobotomy if you like - just need to find my 18mm diameter, by 450mm SDS drill bit first..:devil:

• Thanks 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
On 26/02/2021 at 21:14, gwrrob said:

Here's an interesting chart for them and a photo of a 94xx taken at Torquay shewing them.

74292771_GWRfireironsizesandsketches.jpg.b74919608f8c33d15b4166f79b94b026.jpg9417-torquay-5jul52.jpg.b7ffd4ffdd3c8308c567d9e8e299e78b.jpg

That's useful Rob, what is the source please?

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

Not sure but it was posted on the Scalefour forum and as I'm not a member I can't ask. Maybe @Captain Kernow can enquire .

https://www.scalefour.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6305

Apart from a lot of discussion, that table seems to be the only item of actual reference material on that particular thread. The OP on the thread was enquiring about LMS locos, from what I can make out.

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

The venerable old photographer Ben Ashworth risks life and limb again to capture more of 9440. His trusted assistant is holding his ladder if you are wondering or worried for him.

955263257_DSCN7607(2).JPG.8638a66fa31405c7da0c9744b3f07e97.JPG1370898690_DSCN7608(2).JPG.0be031f4898402e8fe4e8b01969e5bd2.JPG

Blimey, that's a long ladder for the second picture......

Sky hooks?

• Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
On 26/02/2021 at 11:22, Mulgabill said:

I s there any truth in the "gen" that Tigley Junc is worth a vist on a Sunday?

For the variety of GW tanks, particularly panniers, to be found at rest.

For attention of @Mulgabilland others I hope you have your Ian Allan ABC handy.:read:

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I’m fairly sure that this has been answered before in this thread.

On page 80 of the OPC book on the Kingsbridge branch there is a photo of the bay platform in 1946 containing one or two vans.  The rear of which has a very flat arc to the roof, I was hoping to confirm the diagram (I’ve included an extract of the photo below) EF4BD4B5-F513-4815-89ED-10BE598008D0.jpeg.0d3f95d4a49aebfa51450b944fa620d7.jpeg

the original was cited as being from the KAW collection, presumably that of the author Ken Williams.  I don’t suppose anyone knows where the collection ended up?

Edited by The Fatadder
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, The Fatadder said:

I’m fairly sure that this has been answered before in this thread.

On page 80 of the OPC book on the Kingsbridge branch there is a photo of the bay platform in 1946 containing one or two vans.  The rear of which has a very flat arc to the roof, I was hoping to confirm the diagram (I’ve included an extract of the photo below) EF4BD4B5-F513-4815-89ED-10BE598008D0.jpeg.0d3f95d4a49aebfa51450b944fa620d7.jpeg

More likely to be LMS than GWR from the look of it. 

John

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, The Fatadder said:

the original was cited as being from the KAW collection, presumably that of the author Ken Williams.  I don’t suppose anyone knows where the collection ended up?

I might have read somewhere that they were donated to the Cookworthy Museum , Kingsbridge.

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

I might have read somewhere that they were donated to the Cookworthy Museum , Kingsbridge.

I think I will drop them a line and try and confirm (once things are reopening).  It wouldn’t be too difficult to drop

the family at the beach and make a visit to the museum to view them in the summer.

Given there was at least one 1940s photo in the collection in the aforementioned photo of the Kingsbridge bay, there’s got to be more...