A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

3 hours ago, gwrrob said:

A trio of BR black panniers sit in the afternoon sun on a glorious end of winter's day. Left to right we have 1609, 9440 and 9678.

1343250228_DSCN7609(2).JPG.76227d6d2f6dd7f665384be635f28d53.JPGDSCN7610.JPG.a541bd4bebb324961660613fc1654262.JPG1601580726_DSCN7611(2).JPG.963858a2c10d31ea60310eb82fea1881.JPGDSCN7612.JPG.c9bf0e9021c199822acb4f3f17730ae3.JPG

They look wonderful - new to the thread by the way, excellent work sir!

I've just ordered the Bachmann 9405 in GWR weathered, with a Hornby Choc & Cream Collett 'B set' on the birthday list... but your photos are making me wonder whether to go for BR Black and maroon collets instead!

Edited by GWL
spelling (as always)
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Yo dudes! Rob and Co have you seen these little beauties (no sniggering at the back.....)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/fairpricemodels

I have just started using them and they are excellent.

Hope you are all well, have had your pr1cks sorted and are looking forward to the Spring?

Go safe,

Philth.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Blimey Rob, 9440 looks excellent matey. There were a few of those around Plymuff and I remember seeing one blasting out of the Dockyard with some vans somewhere when I was leaving a 'Navy Days' (See the Ships meet the men) in the very early 60s. Can't remember the exact location.

Phil

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

Blimey Rob, 9440 looks excellent matey. There were a few of those around Plymuff and I remember seeing one blasting out of the Dockyard with some vans somewhere when I was leaving a 'Navy Days' (See the Ships meet the men) in the very early 60s. Can't remember the exact location.

Phil

The  Dockyard railway exits onto the GW between Keyham station and Shakey bridge. I don't know if the class would also have serviced Bull Point, in which case they would have been seen in Budo.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Siberian Snooper said:

The  Dockyard railway exits onto the GW between Keyham station and Shakey bridge. I don't know if the class would also have serviced Bull Point, in which case they would have been seen in Budo.

Been trying to identify where this sighting was all those years back. I have that  lovely Dockyard Railways book but still looking. It was like a gateway with Columns each side about the height of the loco IIRC?. Any excuse to peruse a book :read::read:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Siberian Snooper said:

Top of Page 83 Plymouth Steam 1954 - 1963 Ian H lane. That is the same gate but not the loco.....

• RMweb Premium
31 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

Top of Page 83 Plymouth Steam 1954 - 1963 Ian H lane. That is the same gate but not the loco.....

Unfortunately the only way to see the gate these days is on the train, the footpath across Shakey bridge was closed at around the time of anti nuclear submarine protesters back in the late 90's, early 0's, if my memory is correct, but I wouldn't count on it these days.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, Siberian Snooper said:

Unfortunately the only way to see the gate these days is on the train, the footpath across Shakey bridge was closed at around the time of anti nuclear submarine protesters back in the late 90's, early 0's, if my memory is correct, but I wouldn't count on it these days.

If you give me a location I could try Google Earth if it actually shows that area. I think that must have been the South Yard as I am sure we had been in the area of the old Recreation Ground at that end of the Yard. before we left.

Sorry Rob off topic etc.

Phil

• Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

Sorry Rob off topic etc.

Phil

Thats the best part of  ANTB, apart from the frivolity, etc; its the off topics that sometimes turn up the most interesting info.  I must confess to be a prime progenitor of further comment when it refers to anything Plymouth related, especially its railways.;)  Hopefully Rob will indulge us further.:good:

Brian

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

If you give me a location I could try Google Earth if it actually shows that area. I think that must have been the South Yard as I am sure we had been in the area of the old Recreation Ground at that end of the Yard. before we left.

Sorry Rob off topic etc.

Phil

Here's a screenshot of the junction from Google Earth, the coordinates are in the bottom right corner. Keyham station is bottom centre.

HTH

1113317959_Keyhamrailgate.png.5790ceab622775b4d3f27ac314c171cc.png

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

I have that book, and can see the gate is a rather novel sort of frame for a loco! Sherry and I had dinner w Ian and Jenny Lane a couple of years back. He is a former HM Inspector of taxes. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, gwrrob said:

Isn't she just and here we see her again shunting a fruit D this afternoon.;)

DSCN7617.JPG.3d5070279acb471dbe64a334f2b459fd.JPGDSCN7618.JPG.ae21e1ad6ae8235582a6c5570951e012.JPG

Any more snaps of 9440 Robin and that Fruit D?... ;)

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I suppose you are going to say that I need to get one (or more) of those fruity wagons?

Looks good though....look even better behind an Earl which is fast becoming my favourite loco.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, KNP said:

I suppose you are going to say that I need to get one (or more) of those fruity wagons?

Not at all as they were 1939 builds so are therefore too late for LM.:read:

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 03/03/2021 at 11:33, Mallard60022 said:

Yo dudes! Rob and Co have you seen these little beauties (no sniggering at the back.....)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/fairpricemodels

I have just started using them and they are excellent.

Hope you are all well, have had your pr1cks sorted and are looking forward to the Spring?

Go safe,

Philth.

I can vouch for these, outstanding value and great fun to make/knock about.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

I have that book, and can see the gate is a rather novel sort of frame for a loco! Sherry and I had dinner w Ian and Jenny Lane a couple of years back. He is a former HM Inspector of taxes. 

I was at School when he was a year above or below me, in Demport. Bloody small world eh?

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, BlackRat said:

I can vouch for these, outstanding value and great fun to make/knock about.

Versatile are they not matey? On my permanent rakes (SR stuff you see) I have found you don't need a Bellows on every end; alternate Bellows against a Blanking Plate. I reckon I could knock up some extra Blanking Plates but CBA to make my own Bellows; the way they come ready made is fine for me.

Cheers buddy.

P

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, gwrrob said:

The futures bright, the futures crimson.

998625765_DSCN7619(2).JPG.e00c8acba05fbb3b1a94f2f318d504c8.JPG1647222278_DSCN7620(2).JPG.ffca3acdb9d62864f455b01ee066ede5.JPG1467397610_DSCN7622(2).JPG.2c96bf2f76474a52d5a1890b9606abd3.JPG

Blimey Rob, I am getting really twitchy about that loco. I suspect they were too precious to be dumped on the SR as were the much older and knackered Panniers. They would have made nice Bankers at Exeter.

P

• Like 1