A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

20 hours ago, brianusa said:

There's something about a Star although a Saint is prettier!:wub:

Brian

Couldn't agree more....

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Any suggestions, I'm looking for suitable Sprung Buffers for a Siphon F and an AA3 Brake Van - Dart Castings (MJT) are out of stock, MRD online shop isn't up and running and I'm not sure about the Slater's or Wizard Models ones.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
42 minutes ago, toboldlygo said:

Any suggestions, I'm looking for suitable Sprung Buffers for a Siphon F and an AA3 Brake Van - Dart Castings (MJT) are out of stock, MRD online shop isn't up and running

Might be worth phoning MRD and speaking to Hubert.  Although the online shop still seems to be 'work in progress' he has stuff in stock.

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

21 hours ago, 6892 Oakhill Grange said:

Is the Lady’s combination of straight frames, lining and tender under frames historically credible?  Or am I just being annoying?

sorry for geekiness

Oakhill 

I'm just pleased to see it and not too bothered to be honest.

• Like 1
  • Agree 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

We're so used to (more modern) GWR cabsides stepping down to meet the lower edge of the tender body that the full-height running plate extending all the way to the back looks rather odd. Makes the cab look tiny and the steps much more prominent, too.

Overall, though, I think the differing levels make the loco and tender look mismatched.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

1 hour ago, Worsdell forever said:

That just looks odd, like the wheels are a foot too big.

Just a thing of beauty in my eyes !

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
31 minutes ago, bgman said:

Just a thing of beauty in my eyes !

Hi Big G

Do you want to borrow my glasses? :blind:

:protest:Can I take my book on Midland locos to the naughty step. looking at the pictures will keep me occupied and out of trouble.

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

:protest:Can I take my book on Midland locos to the naughty step. looking at the pictures will keep me occupied and out of trouble.

I'm already there with me book on NER locos, I'll let you have a look if I can look at your Midland one. :(

• Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
On 09/04/2021 at 20:03, 6892 Oakhill Grange said:

Is the Lady’s combination of straight frames, lining and tender under frames historically credible?  Or am I just being annoying?

sorry for geekiness

Oakhill 

No worse than the allegedly heinous inaccuracies on a Bachmann Class 25.

Apparently.

:P:lol:

Edited by Captain Kernow
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 8

1 hour ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Big G

Do you want to borrow my glasses? :blind:

That's most kind of you Morty but I'm fine and she still looks beautiful !

1101764793_n69025.jpg.a6e5a7674080903e2262f06505a4a335.jpg

• Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

We're so used to (more modern) GWR cabsides stepping down to meet the lower edge of the tender body that the full-height running plate extending all the way to the back looks rather odd. Makes the cab look tiny and the steps much more prominent, too.

Overall, though, I think the differing levels make the loco and tender look mismatched.

John

Its just like some of my models - close enough!-_-

Brian.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

Apparently.

Steady on there Captain, 

As a connoisseur of Derby Sulzer Type 2 Bo-Bos I will defend the Bachy class 25s, like its class 24 brother they (Bachmann done two class 25 bodies)  got the roof profile sightly wrong and there are issues with the solbar (not that I worry about). The best thing they just keep running, I never have problems with them. The new class 24 with headcode box is almost as good a Sutton class 24, it lacks some of the finery which makes the Sutton one the best. All the Bachy offerings are slightly better than the Hornby very old model, which I still run alongside with my various class 24 and class 25 (late bodied) conversions. 

Sadly I do not have a MTK model to compare with my other Bo-Bo models but I do have a DJH model, which when introduced got all the "real" modellers juices flowing as it was etched brass and white metal. It runs badly (I obtained it already built), and in a bad light and no glasses looks better than a Hornby one.

At last years Glasgow show the nice chaps from Heljan didn't want to talk to me as I wanted to show them where the proposed model didn't look quite right. Too busy gassing with traders and magazine bods to talk to a lowly modeller. So I am sure your comment was regarding the flat front,  cab door widows, cab handrails etc of the new Heljan model.

Here is one, my one, with one of Mr Bachmann's double heading a train around my train set.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 8

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

Apparently.

Much worse, I discovered these while inspecting the bunker trenches on @gwrrob's 16xx..

Trench.jpg.53cdd0da4c1c749cdb85b2169daa5b72.jpg

Apparently Model Rail and Rapido had installed an anti-tamper mechanism...

Edited by toboldlygo
text
  • Funny 12

7 minutes ago, toboldlygo said:

Much worse, I discovered these while inspecting the bunker trenches on @gwrrob's 16xx..

Trench.jpg.53cdd0da4c1c749cdb85b2169daa5b72.jpg

Apparently Model Rail and Rapido had installed an anti-tamper mechanism...

Death Star Troopers, MoD Plod and British Transport Police are all proceeding with enquiries.

image.png.264c3cb8476c23c21eca88055f1deee8.png

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Steady on there Captain, 

As a connoisseur of Derby Sulzer Type 2 Bo-Bos I will defend the Bachy class 25s

No worries, Mr Morts, I like 'em too - the comment was all in connection with this 'discussion', starting about half-way down page 10 - 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4