A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

No worries, Mr Morts, I like 'em too - the comment was all in connection with this 'discussion', starting about half-way down page 10 - 

Hi CK

I see your problem, but the Sutton one hopefully will be better when it arrives.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, gwrrob said:

Some more action featuring 4943 and eagle eyed viewers will notice a new fence installed on top of the bank using a Scale Scenery product. A discussion was had last year when I revamped the scenery using static grass. Obviously some sort of seed was put in my head and although I was reluctant at first I'm happy how it turned out. Bushes installed using polyfibre and Noch leaves.

926886472_DSCN7711(2).JPG.d2e1a15af5a97ecb18a1ed8384c6aa78.JPG557047212_DSCN7712(2).JPG.9eac0b896b9ba5cb992e22490457b880.JPG1780126489_DSCN7713(2).JPG.7c39f13b8ab13dda7659eaeb114a29f4.JPG1455215949_DSCN7714(2).JPG.ea95b74dbfae6b4a7abff3d484371e4e.JPG

Did the layout take ages to reboot after the latest update?

I understand that bushes have to be planted not installed :jester:

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1

5 hours ago, gwrrob said:

A discussion was had last year when I revamped the scenery using static grass. Obviously some sort of seed was put in my head and although I was reluctant at first I'm happy how it turned out. Bushes installed using polyfibre and Noch leaves.

All that grass will grow, possibly causing lineside fires.  The bushes will grow to scratch carriages, hide signals, etc., and end up  with a "Green Tunnel", much to the chagrin of passengers who come to see the scenery and then it will all have to be cleaned up by the department in charge of such things.:wild:

Brian.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, toboldlygo said:

Did the layout take ages to reboot after the latest update?

I understand that bushes have to be planted not installed :jester:

:banghead:

• Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, brianusa said:

All that grass will grow, possibly causing lineside fires.  The bushes will grow to scratch carriages, hide signals, etc., and end up  with a "Green Tunnel", much to the chagrin of passengers who come to see the scenery and then it will all have to be cleaned up by the department in charge of such things.:wild:

Brian.

Hi Brian,

You remind me of an incident, back in the bad old days of Railtrack. I was the local manager and we were making arrangements for the Purple Train to run to Falmouth and back, conveying some Extremely Important Personages.

I asked the local Contracts Manager (a Railtrack person, who managed arrangements with the PW, operated by 'Amey Rail') to ensure that the bushes etc. on the Falmouth branch were properly cut back, as they had been allowed to grow rampant over the years since privatisation, no doubt due to 'Amey Rail' deciding that it wasn't important. In our local case, I always thought that some of the Contracts Managers were too cosy with the contractors they were supposed to be managing (after all, they had been colleagues in the same office and organisation just a couple of years previously).

The Contracts Manager didn't take my request seriously and no one bothered, with the result that the Royal Train was scratched along the side, as it went over the Falmouth Branch.

The Railtrack Royal Train Manager was most seriously displeased and collared me when the train got back to Exeter St Davids, so I ensured that he was given the identities of those who needed to be dragged off to the Tower.

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

The Railtrack Royal Train Manager was most seriously displeased and collared me when the train got back to Exeter St Davids, so I ensured that he was given the identities of those who needed to be dragged off to the Tower.

Have they been heard of since ?

Adrian

On 12/04/2021 at 09:45, Captain Kernow said:

I asked the local Contracts Manager (a Railtrack person, who managed arrangements with the PW, operated by 'Amey Rail') to ensure that the bushes etc. on the Falmouth branch were properly cut back, as they had been allowed to grow rampant over the years since privatisation, no doubt due to 'Amey Rail' deciding that it wasn't important. In our local case, I always thought that some of the Contracts Managers were too cosy with the contractors they were supposed to be managing (after all, they had been colleagues in the same office and organisation just a couple of years previously).

Funnily enough, I once heard the same story from, err, a slightly different perspective.

Allegedly, it was that the local 'Amey Rail' operative(s) had some Cornish Republican sympathies. A trackside survey had determined the offending bushes were "off-track". Therefore on Duchy of Cornwall land, not on Railtrack property. Therefore the "Extremely Important Personage" should blooming well go and phone their son and tell him to get his finger out and do something useful for a change. Allegedly.

I couldn't possibly comment.

• Informative/Useful 3
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, KeithMacdonald said:

Funnily enough, I once heard the same story from, err, a slightly different perspective.

Allegedly, it was that the local 'Amey Rail' operative(s) had some Cornish Republican sympathies. A trackside survey had determined the offending bushes were "off-track". Therefore on Duchy of Cornwall land, not on Railtrack property. Therefore the "Extremely Important Personage" should blooming well go and phone their son and tell him to get his finger out and do something useful for a change. Allegedly.

I couldn't possibly comment.

Well, the situation in this case was that no one disputed the existence of the vegetation or it's proximity to the track. If it was that close that it could scratch trains, then it can only have been on RT land.

We have had plenty of 'third party' vegetation issues over the years, especially dangerous trees on someone else's side of the fence line, but in the case of the Falmouth incident, it was most definitely our own shrubs that caused the problem.

What annoyed me more than anything else was the sheer lackadaisical, 'we couldn't care less about this one' attitude that prevailed. This was certainly not the only such example of this kind of thing at the time.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 5