A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, gwrrob said:

Some afternoon delight featuring more of 5998.

837993054_DSCN7725(2).JPG.687973093c69a2f79a8def2d79be5ec9.JPG1023332506_DSCN7726(2).JPG.dcfe72824e7082841d9139ed19ebb665.JPG978514668_DSCN7727(2).JPG.57eeb3154a1073a9ae55154f7a09b2fc.JPG8104956_DSCN7728(2).JPG.28d1bf54c62cae1a3afec4deede7245d.JPG1999615207_DSCN7729(2).JPG.a661b778457ea7bc852ecfa475409be0.JPG895750110_DSCN7730(2).JPG.e61cb8b3903ddba917132a35b4df5da7.JPG

Hi Rob

I am going to have to report you to the wagon police. What is your crime? You may well ask. It is the Bachmann LMS van and it missing foot in height. It is far too squat and looks nothing like a LMS van with wriggly tin ends. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I am going to have to report you to the wagon police. What is your crime? You may well ask. It is the Bachmann LMS van and it missing foot in height. It is far too squat and looks nothing like a LMS van with wriggly tin ends. 

Had no idea Clive, I assume this wagon dates back to the Mainline range days and reissued by Bachmann.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Rob

It probably shrank in the wash, cheap Asian imports! :laugh_mini:

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

You may well ask. It is the Bachmann LMS van and it missing foot in height. It is far too squat and looks nothing like a LMS van with wriggly tin ends. 

Well, well - we live and learn.  Knew their LMS cattle wagon was wrong but assumed that a bog standard van would be more or less dimensionally accurate.  But I've just put mine next to my two kit-built variants and see what you mean.  It makes the Mainline/Bachmann one look a bit 'H0'.   Or did different LMS van diagrams have differing heights?  

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Stephen Freeman said:

Pretty sure it was based on a Midland design,  though they may have taken liberties. Tbe Midand original was lower, I will look in the books tomorrow for more info.

Wriggly tin ends were an LMS design feature and were only fitted to their standard vans, taller than the Bachy LMS van.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold
48 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

That really looks good.

Just think what they could do with an 8750 pannier.

Or a J69.........or even...........a...ahem....cough !.....14xx....

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, gwrrob said:

Accurascale have posted a rather nice but short Manor  video online.

That looks like a proper job 78xx... :D

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Heads up - Hornby Collett subs, at what is frankly a "silly cheap" price by modern standards over at Kernow:

https://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/c/614/OO-Gauge/5

I have all I need (I think) but I wonder if they could be adapted into other diagrams using brass sides? I will consult my Longworth book of GWR coaching stock...

CoY

• Informative/Useful 2

14 minutes ago, County of Yorkshire said:

I have all I need (I think) but I wonder if they could be adapted into other diagrams using brass sides? I will consult my Longworth book of GWR coaching stock...

CoY

Looks like the only other possible diagrams could be: 

D101 Brake Third (Hornby D98 as donor) - same length and bogies, but 5 compartments instead of 6. Phoenix did the kit, and according to Miss Prism's website, Worsley Works are to do so but they are "not yet available".

E124/125 Composite (Hornby E131 as donor) - same length, but 9ft bogies, which look to be the only visible cosmetic change.

E129 Brake Composite (E131 as donor) - same length, but 9ft bogies. 6 third class compartments and 1 first, small brake area. Comet do the sides.

E134 Composite (E131 as donor) - same length, same 7ft bogies, 4 third class compartments and 5 first (compared with 5 third and 4 first in E131). Phoenix did the sides.

E135 Brake Composite (E131 as donor) - same length and bogies. 5 third class compartments and 1 first, medium sized brake area. Only four ever built and so no suprise that no-one does the sides. 

There is no suitable full third coach conversion option given different underframe lengths.

Seems to be more options then I first thought. Anyway, hope this is of use to someone!

CoY

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, County of Yorkshire said:

Looks like the only other possible diagrams could be: 

D101 Brake Third (Hornby D98 as donor) - same length and bogies, but 5 compartments instead of 6. Phoenix did the kit, and according to Miss Prism's website, Worsley Works are to do so but they are "not yet available".

E124/125 Composite (Hornby E131 as donor) - same length, but 9ft bogies, which look to be the only visible cosmetic change.

E129 Brake Composite (E131 as donor) - same length, but 9ft bogies. 6 third class compartments and 1 first, small brake area. Comet do the sides.

E134 Composite (E131 as donor) - same length, same 7ft bogies, 4 third class compartments and 5 first (compared with 5 third and 4 first in E131). Phoenix did the sides.

E135 Brake Composite (E131 as donor) - same length and bogies. 5 third class compartments and 1 first, medium sized brake area. Only four ever built and so no suprise that no-one does the sides. 

There is no suitable full third coach conversion option given different underframe lengths.

Seems to be more options then I first thought. Anyway, hope this is of use to someone!

CoY

Some interesting options there, I find myself with a few spare Hornby coaches (else I’d be mighty tempted at that price.)  given a comet chassis, bogies, castings, and roof plus wheels  wouldn’t leave much change from the purchase of the coach.  A brass shell with the Hornby roof on the Hornby chassis (as per my Comet/Mainline A22)....

I think once the sides are available I may have to have a go at the d101.  One of the brake composites would also be interesting, but I don’t have much call for them (as they were typically in the Plymouth portions of trains which I tend to omit or came off prior to Brent.

that said, I want a dreadnaught brake third  next