A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

2 hours ago, gwrrob said:

Hall class 5998 Trevor Hall and still in wartime black, does the honours on an up parcels service featuring the Hornby GBL. Now Hornby/ Bachmann et al  can we have a GWR vehicle to this standard please.

DSCN7809.JPG.50f9dedea8c301aad324fc9f10c8edca.JPGDSCN7810.JPG.f0d39e0e3d2ec57d5307f7acbf88b82d.JPGDSCN7811.JPG.da7c54ef3c140e399c0a2bc0af127826.JPGDSCN7812.JPG.89a7c22814c9b90311cd2e503918f281.JPGDSCN7813.JPG.9b4efd1a4c2a7ab9386b1e5f64740bfa.JPG

That Hornby latest bogie van looks very impressive, Robin,

Thanks for showing it.

Decades ago, I detailed an original Hornby one using the Roxey components. I just fitted what was provided, including the 'flat-topped' oval buffers. I see the latest Hornby one has round buffers, so are the buffers on my old one incorrect I wonder?

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

That Hornby latest bogie van looks very impressive, Robin,

Thanks for showing it.

Decades ago, I detailed an original Hornby one using the Roxey components. I just fitted what was provided, including the 'flat-topped' oval buffers. I see the latest Hornby one has round buffers, so are the buffers on my old one incorrect I wonder?

Regards,

Tony. 

AIUI the clipped buffers were confined to the shorter varieties of these vans. The round ones are fine for the 53' 3" diagrams portrayed by Hornby's new models.

John

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
On 07/05/2021 at 18:26, toboldlygo said:

Meanwhile at 'the Works' @gwrrob's Wartime Black 46xx breaks cover after a few upgrades

On 07/05/2021 at 21:38, 46444 said:

Nice work and attention to detail with the RT Sanding Lever rods and running plate handrails

It is looking very nice and purely by chance, I am upgrading a Bachmann 8750 right now, at the same time as you, almost in parallelogram, as it were. In fact, I've just stopped and am having a break for the purposes of letting some epoxy cure and consuming a herbal tea, but I'm afraid that I feel a minor rant coming on.

In general terms, although I think that the Bachmann 57XX and 8750 models are still very good, when compared with their 94XX and the Rapido 16XX, they are beginning to look a little dated.

I'm doing everything that you seem to be doing in your photos of Robin's loco, but I am also having to replace some of the shorter handrails, because the originals weren't seated very well and the handrail knobs appear a bit large, even when compared with another, supposedly identical Bachmann 8750 that I have.

As such, I am prompted to offer the remark, 'just think what the likes of Accurascale, Rapido or even Bachmann themselves could do, if an upgraded model was produced with new tooling'. Does anyone have their ear? I doubt that Rapido will listen to me, however, given the venomous bile I spouted a few weeks ago about the design of the 16XX.

That said, the basics of the existing pannier, even going back to the original 57XX versions produced by Mainline are so good, that I feel sure that this is why the likes of Mitchell or Finney never produced an etched kit version (of course, that may be complete boll*cks, and one of 'em might have been on the verge of doing one, when they were called down for tea, to avoid the fishcakes going cold or some such).

On a more specific note, for the first time, I am also using the RT Models sanding etches on this particular pannier. I realised quite early on, however, that their etched rods are not long enough! They are about 3mm too short, so I am probably going to have to use up a second etch and use material from the second one, to lengthen the rods in the first one. That is rather frustrating.

I will now conclude this minor rant here, but I am still enjoying my herbal tea.

Edited by Captain Kernow
Worplesdon.
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

4 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

It is looking very nice and purely by chance, I am upgrading a Bachmann 8750 right now, at the same time as you, almost in parallelogram, as it were. In fact, I've just stopped and am having a break for the purposes of letting some epoxy cure and consuming a herbal tea, but I'm afraid that I feel a minor rant coming on.

In general terms, although I think that the Bachmann 57XX and 8750 models are still very good, when compared with their 94XX and the Rapido 16XX, they are beginning to look a little dated.

I'm doing everything that you seem to be doing in your photos of Robin's loco, but I am also having to replace some of the shorter handrails, because the originals weren't seated very well and the handrail knobs appear a bit large, even when compared with another, supposedly identical Bachmann 8750 that I have.

As such, I am prompted to offer the remark, 'just think what the likes of Accurascale, Rapido or even Bachmann themselves could do, if an upgraded model was produced with new tooling'. Does anyone have their ear? I doubt that Rapido will listen to me, however, given the venomous bile I spouted a few weeks ago about the design of the 16XX.

That said, the basics of the existing pannier, even going back to the original 57XX versions produced by Mainline are so good, that I feel sure that this is why the likes of Mitchell or Finney never produced an etched kit version (of course, that may be complete boll*cks, and one of 'em might have been on the verge of doing one, when they were called down for tea, to avoid the fishcakes going cold or some such).

On a more specific note, for the first time, I am also using the RT Models sanding etches on this particular pannier. I realised quite early on, however, that their etched rods are not long enough! They are about 3mm too short, so I am probably going to have to use up a second etch and use material from the second one, to lengthen the rods in the first one. That is rather frustrating.

I will now conclude this minor rant here, but I am still enjoying my herbal tea.

I think you will find the rods are long enough just the lid of the sandbox is to far forward, not over the middle of container.

I cut the lid off mine and moved it quite easily to both sides.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Gold
Just now, KNP said:

I think you will find the rods are long enough just the lid of the sandbox is to far forward, not over the middle of container.

I cut the lid off mine and moved it quite easily to both sides.

Thanks, that's useful. I was just finishing my herbal tea when I read that. Will now check a scale drawing and then lie down in a darkened room!

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I find all this talk of Panniers quite exhilarating. 

Rob. 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

Rob. 

I know you're quite partial to a bit of weathered wood too Rob. A LMS long low  wagon coming soon.

350328217_LMSlonglowdeck.jpg.6726fbd0748ee9d4934314806ec53b39.jpg

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

I know you're quite partial to a bit of weathered wood too Rob. A LMS long low  wagon coming soon.

350328217_LMSlonglowdeck.jpg.6726fbd0748ee9d4934314806ec53b39.jpg

Nothing better than a bit of wood in the evening. 

Splendid example. 

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

Thanks, that's useful. I was just finishing my herbal tea when I read that. Will now check a scale drawing and then lie down in a darkened room!

I was unable to find a scale drawing in the Russell book, which showed the sand box linkages and the tops of the sand boxes, but I checked a load of photos in one of my Pannier Papers and calculated how far back to move the sand box lids, which is now in progress. A most timely tip, KNP, so many thanks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
43 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

Rob. 

10 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

Nothing better than a bit of wood in the evening. 

Splendid example. 

Rather than make an attempt at humour regarding things Western I think I'll just quietly form a splinter group and branch out into something else.

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
Just now, Mick Bonwick said:

Rather than make an attempt at humour regarding things Western I think I'll just quietly form a splinter group and branch out into something else.

Don't go out on a limb..

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

I suspect he's twigged that.

I think we had better leaf it there.....

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 3