A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

Oh it's from one of those educational programmes where they spin out an urban legend for an hour, or an entire series and at the end they recap with an inconclusive "We don't know what happened here, nor do we have any concrete evidence, but what we can say is that you watched it."

Whether the programme is about history, myths and legends, ghosts, curses and witchcraft, lost cities, treasure, the Bible, King Arthur, the Pharaohs or the Nazis, the format is the same.

Having re-read that paragraph, I'd say that you will gain more by watching the Indiana Jones movies.

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Funny 4

Will you be opening Brent up as part of the Coventry City of Culture 2021 celebrations ? 

L.G.Odiver

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, bgman said:

Will you be opening Brent up as part of the Coventry City of Culture 2021 celebrations ? 

L.G.Odiver

You wouldn't want to see me riding naked around Broadgate.:D

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Gold
On 04/06/2021 at 15:43, gwrrob said:

For those who haven't seen them on the Oxford Rail thread here are painted samples of their Great Eastern 10 ton goods van.

658456430_OR76GEGV003Sample.jpg.eb6e04ef53bdaa39dc495997addfd9a2.jpg.e3bc1f4548c4b992dedf060c934b5555.jpg1775754901_OR76GEGV002Sample.jpg.52ffbdff5285b521f138af7f6bd8d991.jpg.7cb46c32109881a648df755504c62ac6.jpg

Nice. That BR one looks like something I could introduce my weathering powders to.

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

37 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

You wouldn't want to see me riding naked around Broadgate.:D

I've seen worse on a Saturday night mate !

• Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
On 06/06/2021 at 01:32, MrWolf said:

Oh it's from one of those educational programmes where they spin out an urban legend for an hour, or an entire series and at the end they recap with an inconclusive "We don't know what happened here, nor do we have any concrete evidence, but what we can say is that you watched it."

Whether the programme is about history, myths and legends, ghosts, curses and witchcraft, lost cities, treasure, the Bible, King Arthur, the Pharaohs or the Nazis, the format is the same.

Having re-read that paragraph, I'd say that you will gain more by watching the Indiana Jones movies.

You left out the Knights Templar....:jester:

John

• Funny 4

• RMweb Gold

Dear fellow ANTB######. I love all your choices for future rtr releases.I have yet to read of anyone though giving a nod to the unloved,neglected and too frequently despised Hawksworth County.,the West Country workhorse of the 50’s & 60’s.. Toplights....great....which one ? And talking of coaching stock then,the essential accessory would be,of course,pure horsehair. Well it is a hot afternoon....:jester:

• Like 4
  • Agree 5
  • Round of applause 1

27 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Dear fellow ANTB######. I love all your choices for future rtr releases.I have yet to read of anyone though giving a nod to the unloved,neglected and too frequently despised Hawksworth County.,the West Country workhorse of the 50’s & 60’s.. Toplights....great....which one ? And talking of coaching stock then,the essential accessory would be,of course,pure horsehair. Well it is a hot afternoon....:jester:

A 1000 County would be a great site to see on @gwrrob's layout and many others! I also say some newly tooled Collett Autocoaches would be a very warm welcome! 

A Saint, Saint-Atlantic, 2600 Aberdare, and the Bird series would be very welcome! 

For non-GWR; S160 and as-built Royal Scots.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
55 minutes ago, KeithMacdonald said:

Yes Keith. It does like clean track but mine does indeed run as good as it looks. Some have been not so lucky with theirs. My experience with them is having run one now for three years it definitely runs better when run in.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Ribird said:

A 1000 County would be a great site to see on @gwrrob's layout and many others! I also say some newly tooled Collett Autocoaches would be a very warm welcome! 

A Saint, Saint-Atlantic, 2600 Aberdare, and the Bird series would be very welcome! 

For non-GWR; S160 and as-built Royal Scots.

The S160 ran on the GWR for a while too.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, gwrrob said:

Yes Keith. It does like clean track but mine does indeed run as good as it looks. Some have been not so lucky with theirs. My experience with them is having run one now for three years it definitely runs better when run in.

They do seem to be variable.  I have several (for reasons which might be obvious to some) and one of them runs like a dream - superb at all speeds on clean track but the worst one of the three is somewhat jerky while the other lies between the two.  Interestingly the good runner was actually a review model which was surplus so never sent anywhere to be reviewed. 

I await the poll with interest but it will leave me with a quandary.  Do I tick what would be ideal for me (e.g 10XX 'County'); do I waste a tick on what I know is coming anyway? (my lips are sealed); do I tick things which are on somebody's list for the future in the hope of speeding them along?; do I tick what I would really like to see/have which are as yet probably unthought of? (of course I will).  

In all these thing I think votes should be really devoted to what we would buy rather than what we might like to have but that is of curse a personal view although I think it provides some genuine guidance for those who spend their money tooling the stuff and trying to get their money back.  So it will be interesting to see what comes up but an Insixfish will be well up my list as will as a decent GWR milk tank and some non-corridor stiock which lasted to the end of the steam era.

• Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

Totally off topic Rob: this morning (Saturday) I heard Ramblings on Radio 4 with Claire Balding and it was from Coventry and was really very interesting indeed, very well presented and told and included a couple of railway mentions. Well worth a Sounds catch up if you have the time.

phil

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

Totally off topic Rob: this morning (Saturday) I heard Ramblings on Radio 4 with Claire Balding and it was from Coventry and was really very interesting indeed, very well presented and told and included a couple of railway mentions. Well worth a Sounds catch up if you have the time.

phil

I'm sure it's just me, but I can't quite envisage Claire Balding as Lady Godiva, although as daughter, sister and niece of racehorse trainers, her equine skills are not in doubt. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 6