A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, MrWolf said:

What is the origin of the cattle wagons?

The grey one's are all Bachmann but the brown one's are the recent Hornby SR versions.

• Informative/Useful 1

I enthusiastically converted  8 Bachman cattle trucks to EM gauge and had to use a piercing saw to make clearance for the wider wheels . I also replaced the more modern doors on 2 wagons with the earlier style from Coopercraft  . After all that work ,  I was a bit miffed to learn afterwards that there are inaccuracies in length . They work well , to my eyes , as a “layout “ wagon . 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

GWR 00 Rolling Stock Mini-Poll No.1: Siphons

Hello everyone

Welcome to the first of what we hope will be a series of GWR 00 Rolling Stock Mini-Polls. I am running them here with my friends, John Lewis, Chris Knowles-Thomas and Ian Taylor on Rob’s behalf.

Within all these Mini-Polls, you will find lists very similar to that below, with a ‘maximum load’ of 12 items. You will find ‘an indication’ of what we are looking at via the suggested example diagrams in parentheses.

We simply cannot list every incarnation! The makers are tending to ‘tool up’ to cover as many variants as are commercially viable. For us, the mantra is: If it looks like a Cattle Wagon, it probably is a Cattle Wagon.

In order to generate some debate – and some ‘learning opportunities’ – please feel free to explain why you have chosen your selections. We also welcome your comments on variations – such as Siphons G converted for ambulance trains or converted back to ‘parcels vans’ etc. I copy all ‘Comments Received’ in order of receipt – but with names removed – and post them as a PDF with the Results.

Please note that we do not welcome comments that act as an excuse to start up the old chestnut of ‘kits vs RTR’!

Here’s what to do…

1. You may vote for any or all of the items listed plus the ‘focused choice’ option.

2. They must be items you would realistically wish to buy if made RTR at ‘affordable prices’.

3. Submit your entries on this thread simply as (for example): 2, 4, 7 – with comments and explanations following. My posting which follows should serve as an example.

4. If you vote by PM, please only list your selection of numbers without explanations.

GWR Siphons

1 Siphon C – External Frame 4-wheel (eg Diags.O8 & O9 of 1906)

2 Siphon F – External Frame (eg Diag.O7 of 1907)

3 Siphon G – External Frame (eg Diag.O11 of 1912)

4 Siphon G – Internal Frame (eg Diag.O22 of 1926, Diag.O33 etc of 1930)

5 Siphon H – External Frame (eg Diag.O12 of 1919)

6 Siphon J (eg Diags.O31 of 1930 & O40 of 1932)

7 Siphon – ‘Low Siphon’ 6-wheel (eg Diag.O4 of 1896)

Your ‘focused choice’

If there was only enough plastic available in the world to make just one of the above, which would you choose? 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 or 7.

Get your thinking caps on and get voting! I will acknowledge receipt of your vote via the ‘Thx’ tick box.

You have until 17.00 on Saturday 19 June. However, I will stop earlier and advise if votes reach 50. I will present the results during the day on Sunday 20 June.

I look forward to your selections and comments!

Brian

(Note: These are ‘informal Polls for fun’ on Rob’s thread only and neither RMweb nor The 00 Wishlist Poll Team are specifically involved, apart from me, John, Chris and Ian in our ‘personal capacities’.)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hello everyone

Here are my choices: 2, 3, 4 and 6.

Although I would probably only want to buy one of each of the Siphon F, Inside Frame Siphon G and the Siphon J, I would certainly buy multiples of the Outside Frame Siphon G.

Although the bodies of the existing models of the Gs (and the H) are – arguably – pretty good, the underframe, bogies and couplings all need the modern treatment.

My ‘focused choice’ is: Item 3, the External Frame Siphon G. A GWR layout doesn’t look right without one!

Brian

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

For reasons of what is  (far too commonly) called 'era' my only choice has to be Number 4 and I'll take several to start with in various pre-blue BR liveries and with handbrake variations if possible please.  So it is very much my focused choice (and the money is sitting ready to buy some).

For the fun vehicle to go with certain 'trains of yesteryear' it inevitably would be number 7 on the list.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold

Hello Denbridge

If your 'focused choice' is No.3, it ought really to be one of the initial choices, too.

It is not 'being greedy' - the introduction notes that it is about what you would realistically wish to buy if made RTR.

Hope that helps.

Brian

3 minutes ago, BMacdermott said:
5 minutes ago, BMacdermott said:

Hello Denbridge

If your 'focused choice' is No.3, it ought really to be one of the initial choices, too.

It is not 'being greedy' - the introduction notes that it is about what you would realistically wish to buy if made RTR.

Hope that helps.

Brian

Hello Denbridge

Hope that helps.

Brian

sorry, meant that to be 3 rather than 4, though if you are happy to accept all of them that is fine by me :)

• Thanks 1

My choices would be 2 and 7 ; and 7 would be my focused choice.

To explain , I recognise I am atypical as I already have several detailed and modified Siphons which would be mainstream . I wrote a two parter in the Constructor years ago on detailing externally and internally framed Gs and modified a G to a J .

Sorry , I wanted to thank you for organising this .

Edited by 1466
Add thanks .
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Mike_Walker said:

3 or 4 (preferably the latter) for me.

Mike

Hello Mike

You can select as many as of the items as you wish plus a 'focused choice'.

Could you clarify your post for me please?

Note to all:

Please send your votes in the following example format (as per the introduction):

My choices are: 2, 3, 4 & 6.

My focused choice is: 3

Thanks 

Brian

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, BMacdermott said:

Hello Mike

You can select as many as of the items as you wish plus a 'focused choice'.

Could you clarify your post for me please?

Note to all:

Please send your votes in the following example format (as per the introduction):

My choices are: 2, 3, 4 & 6.

My focused choice is: 3

Thanks 

Brian

My choices are 3 or 4

My focused choice is 4

• Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi, My choices would be 4 and 6, Focus being 4 preferably with full lower set of vents.

My present Lima Siphon G bodies on Airfix underframes are not too bad but modern standard vehicles would be far superior.

Bazza

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Bazza and to all who have voted so far. 

Bazza has noted 'full lower set of vents'...this is exactly what I was referring to in the introduction.

We can't list every 'variant' (to coin a phrase!), but if you state your thoughts in the notes as Bazza, for example, has rightly done, I copy them into the 'Comments Received' so that you all can see them - and, hopefully, the makers will take them on board.

Brian

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Thank you for organising the poll Brian.

My choices are:

• 3 Siphon G – External Frame (eg Diag.O11 of 1912)
  • 4 Siphon G – Internal Frame (eg Diag.O22 of 1926, Diag.O33 etc of 1930)
  • 6 Siphon J (eg Diags.O31 of 1930 & O40 of 1932)

Focussed choice would be 4, especially if parts could be included to produce BR built Diag 062 with sliding vertical shutters.

• Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold

Good afternoon and it's great to see the voting on these. I would be tempted to buy any of the options but the main choices of mine would be :

3,4 and 6, with the focused choice being 3.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1