A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

Haven't been active on this thread for quite a while, my focus has been shifting towards the armour part of my username.
But there will be a time when I'll pick up railway modelling again, and when that happens, Siphons, any Siphons, would be more than welcome.

For me, first I would like  1,2,6 and 7, before replacing the already existing G's and H.

But my  ‘focused choice’  would be 7.
I,ve spend this morning poring over my collection of Cambrian Coast line books, looking for Siphon's. They don't seem to have been very popular on the Cambrian. (or perhaps photo shy?)  
The only one I could positively identify was a Low 6 wheel Siphon, hence my choice of favourite.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

I apologise for being a complete Monster and Siphoning off poor jokes just to B Set at ease.

On a more serious note, was there a Mogo or am I imaging that?

Sincerely,

Notta Standup.

Yes, Mr Duck,  there was a Mogo. Dia G31 and G43. The G31 is a V23 with end doors. The G43 is a V36 also with end doors.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, Siberian Snooper said:

Yes, Mr Duck,  there was a Mogo. Dia G31 and G43. The G31 is a V23 with end doors. The G43 is a V36 also with end doors.

And you will find a Mogo to vote for in one of the forthcoming Mini-Polls.

Brian

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Siberian Snooper said:

Was it used for Motors or similar. I think there is one at Shildon?

P

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

Was it used for Motors or similar. I think there is one at Shildon?

P

Yes. Bachmann already do one r-t-r but it's been worked over by Mr Blobby like all their GWR vans. Ratio (now rebranded as Parkside) do a correct width one in kit form, which I presume is their Mink with different ends.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Hello Mr Duck

Looking at Pat Hammond's Ramsay Catalogue, the vehicle was originally made by Mainline in 1991.

Bachmann put the body on a new chassis from 2001.

Edited to add: Bachmann appear to have only made the planked version, not the plywood one.

Brian

Edited by BMacdermott
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold

Final Call for Votes - GWR 00 Rolling Stock Mini-Poll No.1: Siphons

Hello everyone

A reminder that your ‘Polling Station’ closes at 1700 today, with Results expected during Sunday morning.

For those who haven’t yet voted, here’s what to do…

1. You may vote for any or all of the items listed plus the ‘focused choice’ option.

2. They must be items you would realistically wish to buy if made RTR at ‘affordable prices’.

3. Submit your entries on this thread simply as (for example): 2, 4, 7 – with comments and explanations following. 

4. If you vote by PM, please only list your selection of numbers without explanations.

GWR Siphons

1 Siphon C – External Frame 4-wheel (eg Diags.O8 & O9 of 1906)

2 Siphon F – External Frame (eg Diag.O7 of 1907)

3 Siphon G – External Frame (eg Diag.O11 of 1912)

4 Siphon G – Internal Frame (eg Diag.O22 of 1926, Diag.O33 etc of 1930)

5 Siphon H – External Frame (eg Diag.O12 of 1919)

6 Siphon J (eg Diags.O31 of 1930 & O40 of 1932)

7 Siphon – ‘Low Siphon’ 6-wheel (eg Diag.O4 of 1896)

Your ‘focused choice’

If there was only enough plastic available in the world to make just one of the above, which would you choose? 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 or 7.

Get your thinking caps on and get voting! I will acknowledge receipt of your vote via the ‘Thx’ tick box.

Brian

(Note: These are ‘informal Polls for fun’ on Rob’s thread only and neither RMweb nor The 00 Wishlist Poll Team are specifically involved, apart from me, John, Chris and Ian in our ‘personal capacities’.)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon Brian/Rob. 

Though I am known for being a GWR modeller.........not.....I have a soft spot for Siphons...So, my choice would be; 

Nos. 1,2,3 & 5 as I do like a bit of outside framing. 

Focused choice would be No.1 as, for now at least, I only build little layouts.....so a small, outside framed example would be quite jolly..

Rob. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, gwrrob said:

I think the siphon c would go well with the Hatton’s genesis coaches.

A pleasant ensemble...

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 17/06/2021 at 22:33, 2ManySpams said:

I'm focused mainly on no.9.

GWR Siphons

9 Bulleid Light Pacific in as built condition with original cab..

I smell the meddling of the Grand Inquisitor's no. 2 here.

• Agree 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

Results – GWR 00 Rolling Stock Mini-Poll No.1: Siphons

Many thanks to the 35 voters who took part – and for the kind comments which John, Chris, Ian and I much appreciate. The number of votes to each item is shown in the left hand column and Comments Received are appended on a PDF (as they will be in future Mini-Poll Results).

Please note that the results reflect the views of those who voted here and may not necessarily reflect those of the wider modelling community.

Clearly, the two types of Siphon G are very popular, with 80% of you going for the Internal Frame and 69% for the External Frame. They form the High Polling segment as well as the top two of your ‘focused choices’. A number of you mentioned the BR-built version – I’m pleased to say that you will be able to vote specifically for that in the next Mini-Poll.

High Polling

28        Siphon G – Internal Frame (eg Diag.O22 of 1926, Diag.O33 etc of 1930)

24        Siphon G – External Frame (eg Diag.O11 of 1912)

Middle Polling

19        Siphon J (eg Diags.O31 of 1930 & O40 of 1932)

18        Siphon F – External Frame (eg Diag.O7 of 1907)

17        Siphon – ‘Low Siphon’ 6-wheel (eg Diag.O4 of 1896)

16        Siphon H – External Frame (eg Diag.O12 of 1919)

Low Polling

13        Siphon C – External Frame 4-wheel (eg Diags.O8 & O9 of 1906)

Your ‘focused choice’

If there was only enough plastic available in the world to make just one of the Siphons listed, you would choose:

12        Siphon G – Internal Frame (eg Diag.O22 of 1926, Diag.O33 etc of 1930)

9          Siphon G – External Frame (eg Diag.O11 of 1912)

Of the remaining five items, the Low Siphon came close with eight votes but none of the remainder polled more than three votes.

Tune in on Wednesday 23 June for: GWR 00 Rolling Stock Mini-Poll No.2: Passenger Brake Vans, Monsters & BR-built Siphon G. This will follow the established timetable with closure on Saturday 26 June with Results on Sunday 27 June.

Brian (also on behalf of John, Chris & Ian)

GWR Mini-Poll No.1 Comments Received.pdf

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 4

• RMweb Gold

An excellent turnout of 35 for the first poll people , let's keep it going throughout. You never know who reads these pages and might take notes.

• Like 4
  • Agree 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

Hello everyone

In discussion with Rob and my Mini-Poll colleagues, we are wondering about the merits of one about GWR TPO stock - a subject that, to the best of my knowledge, hasn't ever been thoroughly looked at from a modelling perspective.

Rather than have any 'increased traffic' on the the thread can I ask:

1. If you would like us to run a Mini-Poll on GWR TPO stock, please simply hit the 'Like' button; and

2. If you would like us to consider any specific GWR TPO vehicles, please send me a PM (not a note on this thread).

As there would be quite some work involved, we won't look into it unless we get at least 15 'Likes'.

Many thanks

Brian

• Like 17
  • Agree 1