A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

Completely disregarding the previous post….

TPOs Would be difficult for a RTR manufacturer to have a good go at given the  massive variation of models needed for one train.

the Great Western (Penzance) TPO would need L23, L21, L18, L22 (with an L25 needed for summer 47 onward) plus a full brake with offset corridor.   With multiple different lengths across them.  The South Wales TPO had another 3 diagrams (2 lengths).

the L22 at least can be used in two workings (with the GW TPO and as a single coach in the Plymouth - Bristol TPO working).

For inspiration, (and because I can’t resist showing photos of my favourite rake of coaches)

image.jpeg.2461e657f346b6263b3daa2ec2e72ef6.jpeg
L23

image.jpeg.333b0144e37764672388502f6cc429c2.jpeg
L21

image.jpeg.7072537eea38a50194a071eecdb3d52a.jpeg

L25 (prior to lining or varnishing it)

image.jpeg.e1943e1215004dd732135983bb91cca0.jpeg
L18

image.jpeg.b190e2a36b83df0b20a1679ed28518dc.jpeg
L22

image.jpeg.9f0276169033cd6d10f68d2d6dfd6aae.jpeg
A very average model of a K17

TPO brake 

• Like 18
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

Many thanks for the PM Rich.

But may I respectfully request readers that we don't have actual (pardon the pun!) posts for the moment - the reason is that it will 'double-up' on whatever the Mini-Poll Team puts together, and we want that to be as comprehensive as possible.

There will be ample opportunity for comments, opinions and photos if we go ahead.

Thanks for your understanding.

Brian

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, MrWolf said:
3 minutes ago, KNP said:

So that's what a running layout looks like,

and running layout looks like! :good:

It hadn't been running well on the down main of late due to a broken controller but all's well now.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 7

9 hours ago, The Fatadder said:

TPOs Would be difficult for a RTR manufacturer to have a good go at given the  massive variation of models needed for one train.

Yet again we get to the question of who exactly is the market for these models.

Those on this thread, and other threads on RMweb, will like you care about exactly recreating what the GWR did in real operations in their chosen year.

On the other hand, those who just like the GWR and its liveries won't care to do that research and go to those lengths to form an accurate train - in fact they are just as likely to throw a RTR GWR TPO into their randomly made up train.

So would a RTR manufacturer create the complete line of TPO models for an accurate train?  Doubtful.

But could they (or a commissioner) choose the most popular variant (say chosen in a volunteer driven poll) and sell enough to make the venture profitable while making a lot of modellers happy?  Probably.

So if enough people support the idea with their likes, and if the people volunteering their time to actually run these polls feel it is worth their (much appreciated) effort, there is a valid reason to run such a poll on TPOs.

(and who knows, maybe seeing a TPO in an attractive GWR livery in a model shop or at a show or online brings more GWR modellers, which makes more GWR models viable, etc.)

• Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, mdvle said:

So would a RTR manufacturer create the complete line of TPO models for an accurate train?  Doubtful.

But could they (or a commissioner) choose the most popular variant (say chosen in a volunteer driven poll) and sell enough to make the venture profitable while making a lot of modellers happy?  Probably.

Many thanks mdvle

That was pretty much the angle we were aiming to come from. And, hence, my request for readers to not make suggestions on the thread as yet as we would wish to provide a 'full story' upon which voters could  vote without any prior 'influence'.

Brian (13 'likes' and counting! :))

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, The Fatadder said:

Completely disregarding the previous post….

the Great Western (Penzance) TPO would need L23, L21, L18, L22 (with an L25 needed for summer 47 onward) plus a full brake with offset corridor.   With multiple different lengths across them.  The South Wales TPO had another 3 diagrams (2 lengths).

the L22 at least can be used in two workings (with the GW TPO and as a single coach in the Plymouth - Bristol TPO working).

For inspiration, (and because I can’t resist showing photos of my favourite rake of coaches)

image.jpeg.2461e657f346b6263b3daa2ec2e72ef6.jpeg
L23

image.jpeg.333b0144e37764672388502f6cc429c2.jpeg
L21

image.jpeg.7072537eea38a50194a071eecdb3d52a.jpeg

L25 (prior to lining or varnishing it)

image.jpeg.e1943e1215004dd732135983bb91cca0.jpeg
L18

image.jpeg.b190e2a36b83df0b20a1679ed28518dc.jpeg
L22

image.jpeg.9f0276169033cd6d10f68d2d6dfd6aae.jpeg
A very average model of a K17

TPO brake 

Tasty and well above average......rather like the Wales Footy team, not that I have eaten any of them recently.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

Hello everyone

I'm pleased to say that my TPO posting on the previous page has attained 14 likes and 1 agree, so I am happy that we will run a TPO Mini-Poll as part of the series.

Many thanks to all who 'ticked the box'.

Brian

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Hello Coach Bogie

Many thanks for the above, but can I remind readers of what I said earlier (now repeated below):

Rather than have any 'increased traffic' on the the thread can I ask:

2. If you would like us to consider any specific GWR TPO vehicles, please send me a PM (not a note on this thread).

Brian

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Well I missed the Siphon vote deadline - but since there seems to be one or two GWR types on this thread, perhaps this is of interest:

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Mikkel said:

Well I missed the Siphon vote deadline - but since there seems to be one or two GWR types on this thread, perhaps this is of interest:

I note the presence of a certain Mr Robertson on the team.

If Western Times covers its chosen territory as eclectically, informatively and entertainingly as The Southern Way has been doing (since 2007) for we of that persuasion, you guys are in for a treat. 

John

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

Some on here might be interested in the latest Dapol posting on their forthcoming Manor model which shews decorated samples. There's a list of improvements needed. Any thoughts ?

https://www.Dapol.co.uk/OO-Gauge-78xx-Manor-Locomotive-Decorated-Samples-Under-Review

7800.png.2c86befac0bb99bdab1d3508d6fcfa88.png7807.png.2d0acaaf99fa5d7a5b52e757c014eb0b.png7814.png.762226452416265dadce0c03060baf57.png296414936_TenderGroup(1).png.4c1f729a5f1127eb4037d53d2e57dd12.png903511441_ManorCabampTendershot.jpg.c5c33c31d6b041510e602d55a0c6deb4.jpg

Still no coupling hook on the buffer beam of the tender.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

Thanks for flagging the Dapol Manor samples Robin. 

I'm interested in 7814 and maybe you are also given that she was one of the five Bristol-based Manor's in 1947, the furthest West any were shedded at that time. So it's a bit annoying that the 'G W R' is still placed centrally rather than offset to the rear of the tender so that the 'W' is not sitting on top of the central vertical line of rivets. It may be that Dapol are ultimately planning to produce 7814 with a flush sided tender, in which case the centrally placed 'G W R' would be correct as there would be no rivet heads to avoid. But if they're aiming to produce her with a riveted tender, the 'G W R' should be offset to avoid the rivet heads.

It also looks like another new take on GWR loco green - I can't quite decide if it works or not; it looks a little flat but that may not be unprototypical.

Edited by BenL
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, BenL said:

Thanks for flagging the Dapol Manor samples Robin. 

I'm interested in 7814 and maybe you are also given that she was one of the five Bristol-based Manor's in 1947, the furthest West any were shedded at that time. 

Of course Accurascale are doing 7814 with a riveted tender albeit in BR black livery.

https://accurascale.co.uk/collections/gwr-7800-manor-class/products/7814-fringford-manor-br-manor-class

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I'm pleased to see there is some frivolity returning in line with the thread title ! 

Maybe Messrs. Dapol and Accurascale could couple up ? :lol:

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, gwrrob said:

Some on here might be interested in the latest Dapol posting on their forthcoming Manor model which shews decorated samples. There's a list of improvements needed. Any thoughts ?

https://www.Dapol.co.uk/OO-Gauge-78xx-Manor-Locomotive-Decorated-Samples-Under-Review

7800.png.2c86befac0bb99bdab1d3508d6fcfa88.png7807.png.2d0acaaf99fa5d7a5b52e757c014eb0b.png7814.png.762226452416265dadce0c03060baf57.png296414936_TenderGroup(1).png.4c1f729a5f1127eb4037d53d2e57dd12.png903511441_ManorCabampTendershot.jpg.c5c33c31d6b041510e602d55a0c6deb4.jpg

I'm not overly familiar with the products of Swindon, and it might just be the camera angle, the lighting or a combination of the two, but something about it looked a bit "off" to me.

A couple of hours of poring over pics of the prototype, and comparing the images with the "other" Manor that's under development by Accurascale, and I finally realised what was bugging me. 

Allowing for the caveats in my first paragraph, does anybody else think the slope of the firebox top looks rather too steep?

John

• Agree 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold

GWR 00 Rolling Stock Mini-Poll No.2:

Passenger Brake Vans, Monsters, Bullion & BR-built Siphon G

Hello everyone

Welcome to the second in our series of GWR 00 Rolling Stock Mini-Polls. I am running them here with my friends, John Lewis, Chris Knowles-Thomas and Ian Taylor on Rob’s behalf.

You will find ‘an indication’ of what we are looking at via the suggested example diagrams in parentheses. We simply cannot list every incarnation! The makers are tending to ‘tool up’ to cover as many variants as are commercially viable. For us, the mantra is: If it looks like a Passenger Brake Van, it probably is a Passenger Brake Van, or a member of the same family.

In order to generate some debate – and some ‘learning opportunities’ – please feel free to explain why you have chosen your selections. I copy all ‘Comments Received’ in order of receipt – but with names removed – and post them as a PDF with the Results.

Please note that we do not welcome comments that act as an excuse to start up the old chestnut of ‘kits vs RTR’!

The Collett K41 was one inch wider than the K42 – barely perceptible in 00. However, the ‘lights’ (windows) of K42 are about 20% deeper. Of the two diagrams, the K41 offers more livery variations, but they were withdrawn earlier; most went between 1965 and 1968. The K42s were mainly withdrawn in 1976 and 1977. Hence, we have listed them separately.

We appreciate that – technically – Monsters were classified as Bogie Covered Carriage Trucks, but it seems that they were more often used in the mode of scenery and parcels vehicles. Hence, we have them here rather than in our later Mini-Polls covering Road Vehicle Carriers and/or NPCCS.

Here’s what to do…

1. You may vote for any or all of the items listed plus the two ‘focused choice’ options (13 &14).

2. They must be items you would realistically wish to buy if made RTR at ‘affordable prices’.

3. Submit your entries on this thread simply as (for example): 2, 4, 7 – with comments and explanations following. My posting which follows should serve as an example.

4. If you vote by PM, please only list your selection of numbers without explanations.

Passenger Brake Vans

1   Passenger Brake Van. Dean. 40ft, four double doors per side (Diags.K14, K15 & K16)

2   Passenger Brake Van. Churchward. 57ft Steel-panelled Toplight. (Diag.K22)

3   Passenger Brake Van. Collett. 57ft Flat Ended, high waist style (Diag.K41)

4   Passenger Brake Van. Collett. 57ft Flat Ended, low waist style (Diag.K42)

5   Passenger Brake Van. Collett. 58ft 4½in Bow Ended ‘Ocean Mails’ (Diag.K38)

6   Passenger Brake Van. Collett. 59ft 10in Flat Ended, low waist style (Diag.K44)

7   Passenger Brake Van. Collett. 61ft 4½in Bow Ended, general service (Diag.K40)

Monsters

8   Scenery & Parcels Van. Monster. Outside framed (Diag. P16)

9   Scenery & Parcels Van. Monster. Inside framed (Diag.P18 and P21 Giant rebuilds)

10 Scenery & Parcels Van. Monster. Inside framed. BR-built (Diags.P23 & P24 of 1953)

Bullion Van

11 Bullion Van (eg Diags.M16 & M17)

BR-built Siphon G

12 Siphon G – BR-built (Diag.O62 of 1951)

13 Your Focused Choice of Passenger Brake Van

If there was only enough plastic available in the world to make just three of the Passenger Brake Vans, which would you choose? Please answer (such as): My focused choices of PBV are: 4, 5 & 6.

14 Your Focused Choice of Monster

If there was only enough plastic available in the world to make just one of the Monsters, which would you choose? Please answer (such as): My focused choice of Monster is: 10

Get your thinking caps on and get voting! I will acknowledge receipt of your vote via the ‘Thx’ tick box.

You have until 17.00 on Saturday 19 June. However, I will stop earlier and advise if votes reach 50. I will present the results during the day on Sunday 20 June.

I look forward to your selections and comments!

Brian

(Note: These are ‘informal Polls for fun’ on Rob’s thread only and neither RMweb nor The 00 Wishlist Poll Team are specifically involved, apart from me, John, Chris and Ian in our ‘personal capacities’.)

• Like 6