A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

10 hours ago, BMacdermott said:

Have you mis-read the 'Here's what to do' notes?

I have indeed, apologies for that!

Long day yesterday and I was like a walking zombie. Shouldn't be an excuse though, i've played this game before!

Have updated the original comment!

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

PBVs-1,2,3. 

Monster 8

Focused-

PBV-1

Monster 8

And yes, to this non-GWR modeller, the Manor looks odd. The firebox, which looks very odd, seems to throw the whole boiler out. Too bulbous. 

Rob. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold

My choices are;_

3 4 5 6 7 10 11 12

Focused PBVs 3 4 6

Focused Monster 10 (obviously)

And i would definitely buy both 11 (one off, partly for sentimental work reasons - BR livery as at 1965, when I had a small involvement with the day-to-day working of such vehicles) and 12 should anybody decide to make them.

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

PBVs-1,2,3. 

Monster 8

Focused-

PBV-1

Monster 8

And yes, to this non-GWR modeller, the Manor looks odd. The firebox, which looks very odd, seems to throw the whole boiler out. Too bulbous. 

Rob. 

Sooner or later you will come over to the dark side.

Dark green that is..... :devil:

Brian

Thank you for arranging this. Parcels brakes have not really been considered in rtr and I do think this is a missed opportunity, especially for Hornby to produce a no 5, K38 using the new Collett tooling. I can only think of the Hawksworth van of recent times which appeared to sell well. My diesel era friends were buying them in multiple, removing the gangways and painting them blue for newspaper traffic.

My personal preference is for No 1 in the hope that some decent Dean 8'6" bogies might be produced. They were everywhere. I have more images of Dean 40ft vans than any other type.

My challenge with the 'standard' GWR brakes is the window layout was drawn up using tracing paper. The window and door positions on K22/38/40/41/41is basically the same with only alterations to ends, underframes, lengths etc. 

I would purchase no 5 out of support despite having several from other sources (and yet another source is about to hit the market) even though the GWR only built six in total. With the Ocean Mails' branding, it certainly stands out from the others and looks good at the head of any train. They were well used and were switched from train to train to reach their destination and appear in many 1930's photo collections.

My final choice would be a no 3 K41 as my current model is getting tired dating from when I was a teenager. Very common type and long lived.

I would not be able to justify yet another monster.

I look forward to see what develops.

Mike Wiltshire.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold

PBV: 1  3  5 ( I used to be fascinated by the model in the 1950s Bassett Lowke catalogue)

Focussed on 3

Monster

Focussed on 8

BULLION unaffordable

Thanks for the challenge, I’ve learnt a lot by looking them up, but I should know all that shouldn’t I  !

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
On 23/06/2021 at 09:16, BMacdermott said:

GWR 00 Rolling Stock Mini-Poll No.2:

Passenger Brake Vans, Monsters, Bullion & BR-built Siphon G

Hello everyone

Welcome to the second in our series of GWR 00 Rolling Stock Mini-Polls. I am running them here with my friends, John Lewis, Chris Knowles-Thomas and Ian Taylor on Rob’s behalf.

You will find ‘an indication’ of what we are looking at via the suggested example diagrams in parentheses. We simply cannot list every incarnation! The makers are tending to ‘tool up’ to cover as many variants as are commercially viable. For us, the mantra is: If it looks like a Passenger Brake Van, it probably is a Passenger Brake Van, or a member of the same family.

In order to generate some debate – and some ‘learning opportunities’ – please feel free to explain why you have chosen your selections. I copy all ‘Comments Received’ in order of receipt – but with names removed – and post them as a PDF with the Results.

Please note that we do not welcome comments that act as an excuse to start up the old chestnut of ‘kits vs RTR’!

The Collett K41 was one inch wider than the K42 – barely perceptible in 00. However, the ‘lights’ (windows) of K42 are about 20% deeper. Of the two diagrams, the K41 offers more livery variations, but they were withdrawn earlier; most went between 1965 and 1968. The K42s were mainly withdrawn in 1976 and 1977. Hence, we have listed them separately.

We appreciate that – technically – Monsters were classified as Bogie Covered Carriage Trucks, but it seems that they were more often used in the mode of scenery and parcels vehicles. Hence, we have them here rather than in our later Mini-Polls covering Road Vehicle Carriers and/or NPCCS.

Here’s what to do…

1. You may vote for any or all of the items listed plus the two ‘focused choice’ options (13 &14).

2. They must be items you would realistically wish to buy if made RTR at ‘affordable prices’.

3. Submit your entries on this thread simply as (for example): 2, 4, 7 – with comments and explanations following. My posting which follows should serve as an example.

4. If you vote by PM, please only list your selection of numbers without explanations.

Passenger Brake Vans

1   Passenger Brake Van. Dean. 40ft, four double doors per side (Diags.K14, K15 & K16)

2   Passenger Brake Van. Churchward. 57ft Steel-panelled Toplight. (Diag.K22)

3   Passenger Brake Van. Collett. 57ft Flat Ended, high waist style (Diag.K41)

4   Passenger Brake Van. Collett. 57ft Flat Ended, low waist style (Diag.K42)

5   Passenger Brake Van. Collett. 58ft 4½in Bow Ended ‘Ocean Mails’ (Diag.K38)

6   Passenger Brake Van. Collett. 59ft 10in Flat Ended, low waist style (Diag.K44)

7   Passenger Brake Van. Collett. 61ft 4½in Bow Ended, general service (Diag.K40)

Monsters

8   Scenery & Parcels Van. Monster. Outside framed (Diag. P16)

9   Scenery & Parcels Van. Monster. Inside framed (Diag.P18 and P21 Giant rebuilds)

10 Scenery & Parcels Van. Monster. Inside framed. BR-built (Diags.P23 & P24 of 1953)

Bullion Van

11 Bullion Van (eg Diags.M16 & M17)

BR-built Siphon G

12 Siphon G – BR-built (Diag.O62 of 1951)

13 Your Focused Choice of Passenger Brake Van

If there was only enough plastic available in the world to make just three of the Passenger Brake Vans, which would you choose? Please answer (such as): My focused choices of PBV are: 4, 5 & 6.

14 Your Focused Choice of Monster

If there was only enough plastic available in the world to make just one of the Monsters, which would you choose? Please answer (such as): My focused choice of Monster is: 10

Get your thinking caps on and get voting! I will acknowledge receipt of your vote via the ‘Thx’ tick box.

You have until 17.00 on Saturday 19 June. However, I will stop earlier and advise if votes reach 50. I will present the results during the day on Sunday 20 June.

I look forward to your selections and comments!

Brian

(Note: These are ‘informal Polls for fun’ on Rob’s thread only and neither RMweb nor The 00 Wishlist Poll Team are specifically involved, apart from me, John, Chris and Ian in our ‘personal capacities’.)

I'm a bit late to the party on this one Brian, but have been careful to get it right before pressing submit to avoid any changes.:angel:

Overall Choices: 1,2,7,8,9,10,12

Preferred PBVs: 1,2,7.

Preferred Monster: 8.

And please accept apply any boost I can add to 12 (the BR Siphon).

Regards,

John

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold

On the strength of Coach Bogie's comments on the Collett PBVs, I picked the longest as it ought to offer the easiest basis for conversion to any of the others.:unsure:

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

Thanks people on what looks like a reasonable turnout to vote in this latest poll. Keep them coming.:read:

In the meantime , it's the summer of 1957 and 94xx class 9440 has been taken off freight duties and put on a local passenger turn to Plymouth. A mixture of Comet kit built and Hornby Collett coaches.

DSCN7931.JPG.12838f8bfcb8c4a7a6f456baa155101c.JPGDSCN7932.JPG.208ffacd16da73c5edb3089e9d01771d.JPGDSCN7933.JPG.daa4c243d2359e71946be757a96406aa.JPGDSCN7934.JPG.918150d52846d2b09bf528e402a2cc74.JPGDSCN7935.JPG.74b2a289d5887bca39edb7eb430a12b8.JPG

Nice beach huts.

Shirley there needs to be Mini poll for those :jester:

• Agree 3
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, toboldlygo said:

Nice beach huts.

Shirley there needs to be Mini poll for those :jester:

20210624_173614.jpg

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Gold

Hope I'm not too late!

PBVs 2,3,4,5,6,7

Monsters, 10

Bullion Van, either

Siphon 12,

Focussed PBVs  4,6,7

Focussed Monster, 10

Focussed Siphon, 12 

Bullion Van    I remember seeing several of these stabled in the sidings between the main and relief lines at Slough.

Bazza

• Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

Can you get them on the Blue Pollman?

I think they might be rather stale by now ! 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I struggle with blood and custard. I'll go as far as "thought provoking" :).  

Maroon is nice though, especially with black locos.

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2