A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Coach bogie said:

Just to be awkward, there were clerestory K17 vans still being used by the GPO in the early 1950;s. The post office paid for them to be kept as reserve vehicles.

On a slight tangent (and with the awareness that it is not an option in the poll), the K17 is the coach that I need more than anything else TPO wise to replace my scratch built sides on a Hornby clerestory core...

14 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

Question friends. 10.10 Padd to Penzance? Was there a return working of that? There used to be a big Postal out of Plymouth around 16.00 back in the early 60s; was that the return? I ask because if so I can then find an excuse to vote for that set of vehicles on a diversion at St David's to Central and on up to Yeovil Junction, or even further, due to 'issues' (genuine) on the W.E. main east of St David's.

Many thanks all.

Phil

From the 1946/47 working timetable: you have 18:40 Penzance - Paddington for the return working 

• Like 1

I would go for at least the L22, but additionally if available, would go for an L21, L23, L25 & L26.

The L22 because of that Bristol-Plymouth formation, who wouldn't.

L21 & L23 starting to imitate the West of England TPO with some accuracy, the L23 as mentioned could come from the L22 so makes commercial sense. The L21 to provide some variety of coach length.

The L25 I think would provide some nice variety from the nets and I like the overall look of them. As mentioned, they got around a bit in later life as well.

L26 I think would be an opportunistic add on to the K40 I voted for previously, these vehicles also migrated in later life so have use to more than just us Western modellers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, The Fatadder said:

On a slight tangent (and with the awareness that it is not an option in the poll), the K17 is the coach that I need more than anything else TPO wise to replace my scratch built sides on a Hornby clerestory core...

From the 1946/47 working timetable: you have 18:40 Penzance - Paddington for the return working 

Ah the 16.00 ish must have been a Plymouth working; I shall investigate thanks FA.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Mallard60022 said:

Ah the 16.00 ish must have been a Plymouth working; I shall investigate thanks FA.

41 minutes ago, BMacdermott said:

Hello Phil

I'm not aware of anything 'postal' around 4.00pm.

On Saturdays, the 10.10pm only went as far as Plymouth. The return from there departed 9.13pm.

Brian

Nah, I'm wrong as you suggest & think that must have been the milk. However I am sure I used to see TPOs on a train late afternoon going east circa 1959 - 1963! Going to have to check my picture books or maybe I'm just bonkers, ( no comments).

P

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Hello Phil

I think have 'cottoned on' to what's in your mind...

The 4.25pm Plymouth-Paddington Parcels.

Booked to convey: Gas Tank, Fruit Ds, Tobacco Van, Siphons (specific running numbers), Full Brakes, Enparts Van and just about anything anyone could hook onto it, including Milk Tankers.

A photo on page 36 of Railways in and around Newton Abbot shows a Hall coupled ahead of a WD 2-8-0 in 1956.

Brian

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
32 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

Nah, I'm wrong as you suggest & think that must have been the milk. However I am sure I used to see TPOs on a train late afternoon going east circa 1959 - 1963! Going to have to check my picture books or maybe I'm just bonkers, ( no comments).

P

Vindicated: the 15.45 to "The North of England" (I'd Guess Manchester/Liverpool), circa 1959/60, was a double headed express with TPO vehicle(s) at the front. I have a few photo's to prove that now!  One example was W799W (PO LIvery?) and another unidentifiable in C & C Livery. That would be 'daylight running' through Seaton Junction if diverted. 

Also during the search I was reminded that, in early 1956, LMS Pacifics were drafted in on the main line from Plymouth to the east; evidence of a Princess and a Duchess. 

Great fun discovering/rediscovering that.

P

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, BMacdermott said:

Hello Phil

I think have 'cottoned on' to what's in your mind...

The 4.25pm Plymouth-Paddington Parcels.

Booked to convey: Gas Tank, Fruit Ds, Tobacco Van, Siphons (specific running numbers), Full Brakes, Enparts Van and just about anything anyone could hook onto it, including Milk Tankers.

A photo on page 36 of Railways in and around Newton Abbot shows a Hall coupled ahead of a WD 2-8-0 in 1956.

Brian

Thanks Brian. Ah, that old rag tag working. Not quite the one (see above). I remember that too. However my experience of knowingly seeing stuff was late 1958 until mid 1963 so my times would be a bit out of sinc with the Operation Cornwall Book (1957).

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

There's been a couple of mentions of "Railways in and around Newton Abbot" today, would be interested to know what the content is like in terms of the split between GWR (ideally post war of course) and BR.  Always reluctant to buy a book only to find out its 90% full of BR photos and few if any from my period.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

Kernow has now received and assembled their Railmotor project. Updates on rm are here (page 15). While a direct link to the project page is here.

Below is the picture Kernow have shared with us. 

I have the K2302 on order which is the late 1920's livery. The crimson livery does look stunning on the real thing.

Overall, these look fantastic, might want two of them. Just wish we had some proper matching rtr coaches. 

image.png

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium
32 minutes ago, The Fatadder said:

There's been a couple of mentions of "Railways in and around Newton Abbot" today, would be interested to know what the content is like in terms of the split between GWR (ideally post war of course) and BR.  Always reluctant to buy a book only to find out its 90% full of BR photos and few if any from my period.

Rich, I seem to remember someone saying that the Library in NA (or Archives)  have a lot of stuff about old Railways. Might have been Kaptn K?

Phil

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, Ribird said:

Kernow has now received and assembled their Railmotor project. Updates on rm are here (page 15). While a direct link to the project page is here.

Below is the picture Kernow have shared with us. 

I have the K2302 on order which is the late 1920's livery. The crimson livery does look stunning on the real thing.

Overall, these look fantastic, might want two of them. Just wish we had some proper matching rtr coaches. 

image.png

Rob, you must be fainting?

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
43 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

Vindicated: the 15.45 to "The North of England" (I'd Guess Manchester/Liverpool), circa 1959/60, was a double headed express with TPO vehicle(s) at the front. I have a few photo's to prove that now!  One example was W799W (PO LIvery?) and another unidentifiable in C & C Livery. That would be 'daylight running' through Seaton Junction if diverted. 

Also during the search I was reminded that, in early 1956, LMS Pacifics were drafted in on the main line from Plymouth to the east; evidence of a Princess and a Duchess. 

Great fun discovering/rediscovering that.

P

Hello Phil

The Noon Penzance-Crewe conveyed the L22 off the Down 6.25am as far as Bristol (not vehicles).

The same train (noon that is) conveyed two of the other L22s Cardiff-Crewe and Liverpool.

Brian

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
41 minutes ago, The Fatadder said:

Hello Fatadder

Sorry to disappoint you but it's 90% BR days.

Brian

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

Rich, I seem to remember someone saying that the Library in NA (or Archives)  have a lot of stuff about old Railways. Might have been Kaptn K?

Phil

Something I will have to have a look into once things get more sensible, I also want to pay a visit to the archives of the Kingsbridge museum.  

• Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

Phil

Hello Phil & everyone

Link below for Newton Abbot Library Railway Studies. Well worth a visit. Check times as I think you need an appointment.

http://newtonabbotrailwaystudies.co.uk/

Brian

• Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, BMacdermott said:

Hello Phil

The Noon Penzance-Crewe conveyed the L22 off the Down 6.25am as far as Bristol (not vehicles).

The same train (noon that is) conveyed two of the other L22s Cardiff-Crewe and Liverpool.

Brian

That will be it then Brian; thanks ever so much for that.

Phil

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
Just now, gwrrob said:

It does look rather nice. I wonder if @Graham_Muz will let me test a sample for running when they're ready .;) 

It depends if they melt in my hand when I a die hard SR man touches them first...

• Funny 9

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

No Idea. Too old for me to know.

P

The Bulleid and Maunsell coaches had drop buckeyes using buck eyes between coaches and screw links for coupling to locos.

I fit my coaching sets with Kadee couplings between coaches in my fixed sets.

Edited by Graham_Muz
corrected bad typing and added info
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2