A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

It does look rather nice. I wonder if @Graham_Muz will let me test a sample for running when they're ready .;) 

From memory these ended up getting rebuilt into autocoaches, would be interesting to see if Kernow are going to be able to release that version in the future.

Shame the railmotors had all long been withdrawn by the 40s, as I would have loved to justify one...

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
Just now, The Fatadder said:

From memory these ended up getting rebuilt into autocoaches, would be interesting to see if Kernow are going to be able to release that version in the future.

Shame the railmotors had all long been withdrawn by the 40s, as I would have loved to justify one...

Not from existing tooling I am afraid.

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, The Fatadder said:

Maybe so but it won't stop me buying one anyway. Too nice not to.

• Like 6
  • Agree 3
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Graham_Muz said:

Not from existing tooling I am afraid.

Shame there is no longer the annual opportunity to pick up the pre pro / livery samples from Kernow at the Taunton Members Day, converting a pre prod example into an autotrailer would have made for an interesting project... 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, Graham_Muz said:

The Bulleid coaches has drop buckeyes using buck eyes between coaches and screw links for coupling to locos.

I fit my coaching sets with Kadee couplings between coaches in my fixed sets.

Thanks Graham. On my Sets I can put SLs on the outer Brakes....if ICBA. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

To answer the question in the latest mini-poll.  Because they ran over the N&W it has to be -

L22

One thing worth pointing out is that some of the 'full Monty' Postal trains included Stowage Vans as well as TPOs so examples of both would be needed to do the job properly 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, The Fatadder said:

Could always rule one ;) Slap a shirtbutton or GWR crest on it and call it good! That's what I'm planning. Like @gwrrob said, too nice not to get! 

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

This afternoon has proven what a useful addition this Polling has been for both an ex Janner and a modeller (that's pushing it) of the other route east. Brilliant stuff when I'm feeling a bit grim.

P

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

One thing worth pointing out is that some of the 'full Monty' Postal trains included Stowage Vans as well as TPOs so examples of both would be needed to do the job properly 

Hello Mike

Indeed that is true and - on reflection - Item 2 would have been better constructed as L & M Diagrams.

If anyone wants to vote for M Diagrams please do so.

Brian

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Graham_Muz said:

The Bulleid and Maunsell coaches had drop buckeyes using buck eyes between coaches and screw links for coupling to locos.

I fit my coaching sets with Kadee couplings between coaches in my fixed sets.

I'm more familiar with Mk1s than with SR coaches. On Mk1s the "emergency" screw couplings were kept in the brake van. In normal operation, I would expect the buckeye on the leading coach to be dropped (and the buffers extended too, of course) and the loco coupling used. I don't think you would see the screw coupling hanging down on the coach very often at all.

Edited by St Enodoc
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

I'm more familiar with Mk1s than with SR coaches. On Mk1s the "emergency" screw couplings were kept in the brake van. In normal operation, I would expect the buckeye on the leading coach to be dropped (and the buffers extended too, of course) and the loco coupling used. I don't think you would see the screw coupling hanging down on the coach very often at all.

I didn't have time earlier, between breakfast and work, to look in my copies of the 1960 and 1972 General Appendix but now it's lunchtime I have. There's loads of stuff about buckeyes, the vast majority of which isn't of much relevance in the model world, but the sentence I had in mind reads the same in both editions:

"An emergency screw coupling with two "D" shackles of equal length is carried in the guard's compartment of of all brake vehicles fitted with automatic "Buck-eye" couplers."

The rest of the text makes it clear that this applies to BR, ex-LNER and ex-SR vehicles.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

7 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

I may be wrong , if so apologies, but thought it was the convention to use the locomotive’s coupling to couple to freight and passenger trains . I’d welcome comment from those with practical experience .

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Yes, I remember and have noted that too. Retractable Buffers on many types as well which I have actually seen a shunter engaging at Exeter Central.  That must have been a heavy job?

Phil

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, 1466 said:

I may be wrong , if so apologies, but thought it was the convention to use the locomotive’s coupling to couple to freight and passenger trains . I’d welcome comment from those with practical experience .

Absolutely correct - not just convention but the rule.

• RMweb Premium
31 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

Yes, I remember and have noted that too. Retractable Buffers on many types as well which I have actually seen a shunter engaging at Exeter Central.  That must have been a heavy job?

Phil

All (I think...) buckeye-fitted stock has retractable buffers. The heavy job is lifting the buckeye when necessary.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

All (I think...) buckeye-fitted stock has retractable buffers. The heavy job is lifting the buckeye when necessary.

During my first week at Signal School (Southside, Waterloo) we shared a few classes with trainee guards, one of which included wrangling buckeyes, which we siggies didn't have to do unless out of curiosity....

The approved technique makes it easier/possible, but I entirely agree! A young girl on the guard course, was barely five foot and probably about seven stone, but "got it" instantly and made some beefy lads (not all of whom did) feel sheepish.  

However, pulling out retracted buffers, especially if they've not been moved for a while, isn't exactly a "finger-and-thumb" job, either.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, 1466 said:

A mighty can of worms has been opened.  I'll start with 1960 as that was very straightforward-ish

1. Engine/tender to passenger stock or fitted freight stock - engine/tender coupling to be used.  

On ex-LNER  tender locos with a buckeye coupling on the tender the buckeye coupling was to be used to couple to buckeye fitted passenger carrying stock and (I don't have the ER Instructions) but I presume  the LNER link coupling (on ex LNER vehicles) or the Emergency Screw Coupling on Mk1 vehicles coupling was  to be used to couple to a bucye equipped tender if there was a buckeye defect

2. Engine/tender coupled to loose coupled freight vehicles - the coupling of the wagon must be used. (Note *)

3. Coupling wagons with 3 link coupling to wagons with screw couplings - the 3 link coupling must be used.

4  Attaching fitted freight vehicles to passenger trains and the adjacent couplings  are of different lengths - the shorter coupling must be used.

5. Vehicles with Instanter Couplings -

A. Attached to a train conveying passengers - a screw coupling must be used and only one vehicle fitted with instanter couplings may be conveyed. (Partially revised in October) 1971

B. Arttached to coaching stock train not conveying passengers - screw couplings must mst be used

C. in freight trains - coupling to be in the long position in unfitted trains except when conveying cattle when it must be in teh short position.  Coupling to be in the short position when the vehicle is marshalled ina fitted train or portion.

WR Instruction 1950 where freight vehicles have couplings at differenmt heights the shackle of the lower coupling is to be placed over the hook of the higher coupling 

Note * - This was most likely done that way round for coupling strength reasons as freight trains could load much more heavily than passenger trains so a screw coupling would be subject to considerable added stress on the threads and shackle fixings.  (eg. re loads - Didcot - Banbury 78XX allowed 392tons on a passenger train, 1,000 tons on a freight).

It all changed in later years when 35 ton and then 50 ton (drawbar pull strength) screw couplings became available.  Our experience on a test on the WR showed they would take a trailing load of 12,000. tonnes (with a mid train helper) but the drawhook wouldn't - one sheered.

GWR passenger vehicles fitted with buckeye couplings were - obviously - rather different from everybody else's ideas and did not have extendable buffers - instead the buffers were folded downwards, out of use, when the buckeye couplings were in use and folded upwards to act as buffers in the normal manner when a screw coupling had to be used in an emergency (illustrations available). 

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 7

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

I agree with all you have said, I was just being a little simplistic in my reply.

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Extending the buffers isn't much fun either although the buckeye head is the worst part.  hence various 'buckeye lifters' were tried over the years - basically a strong piece of bar to use as a lever underneath the buckeye head.  but you then needed long arms to get the pin back in over the draw hook.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, The Stationmaster said:

Extending the buffers isn't much fun either although the buckeye head is the worst part.  hence various 'buckeye lifters' were tried over the years - basically a strong piece of bar to use as a lever underneath the buckeye head.  but you then needed long arms to get the pin back in over the draw hook.

A brake stick, which you then rested on your shoulder, was the usual if slightly unofficial way that I was taught - but, as you say, easier if you were related to Twizzle.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1