A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

23 minutes ago, BMacdermott said:

Hello Mike Stationmaster, Clive and Mike Wiltshire

I have requested any info on this from friends who were in the Mangotsfield Railway Circle.

Brian

The TPO was run on behalf the the GPO who were invoiced for everything (I have obtained a lot of GWR TPO info from archived invoice records). To turn the entire train would involve addtional costs invoiced to the GPO every time this happened against the one off cost of providing a net on the offside of one vehicle. It is my belief the train was not turned on cost grounds.

Mike Wiltshire

Edited by Coach bogie
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

Hello Trevor & Mike

Bear with me on this one...

The title of this Mini-Poll was originally Selected NPCCS & Freight. However, we saw some problems with that and changed to what we have. But that has thrown up an anomaly that we didn't see!

I have noted Trevor's Cattle Wagon and Mike's Cordon but advise that we will be having further Mini-Polls on Freight per se and Departmental Stock. Those two items will be reflected then.

Brian

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, TrevorP1 said:

Finally, I hope someone from Accurascale is reading this!

Hello Trevor

As I have hit the 'Thx' button on your main post, I am writing here to express agreement with the Accurascale comment.:good:

Brian

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, BMacdermott said:

Hello Trevor & Mike

The title of this Mini-Poll was originally Selected NPCCS & Freight. However, we saw some problems with that and changed to what we have. But that has thrown up an anomaly that we didn't see!

I have noted Trevor's Cattle Wagon and Mike's Cordon but advise that we will be having further Mini-Polls on Freight per se and Departmental Stock. Those two items will be reflected then.

Brian

No problem. I was wondering about Cordons...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Trevor

Note for all:

As you know, we sometimes have to change titles and/or running order of the Mini-Polls to reflect 'matters arising'.

However - at present - the weekly working timetable comprises:

No.5: Minks

No.6: Freight (but excluding those in No.7 following)

No.7: Freight - Vehicle Carriers

No.8: Departmental Stock

Brian (on behalf of John, Chris and Ian)

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 minutes ago, BMacdermott said:

Thanks Trevor

Note for all:

As you know, we sometimes have to change titles and/or running order of the Mini-Polls to reflect 'matters arising'.

However - at present - the weekly working timetable comprises:

No.5: Minks

No.6: Freight (but excluding those in No.7 following)

No.7: Freight - Vehicle Carriers

No.8: Departmental Stock

Brian (on behalf of John, Chris and Ian)

Brian

As I expect to be away from home for a couple of weeks, Could you vote for me for any Minks that would have been around in 1929, especially in the Newport/Severn Tunnel area, please?

Thanks

Lloyd

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, FarrMan said:

Brian

As I expect to be away from home for a couple of weeks, Could you vote for me for any Minks that would have been around in 1929, especially in the Newport/Severn Tunnel area, please?

Thanks

Lloyd

Hello Lloyd

I'll PM the list to you now and can you can 'vote early by PM' back to me.

Brian

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hello Pendennis

You are welcome to vote for the Beetle.

Our aim is to state what we would realistically wish to buy if the models were ever made. Only the makers can decide what to make - but if we don't express ourselves, we might not get what we want.

Brian

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks again to Brian et al for running this poll. Some potential mouth watering vehicles just ready to be made by someone.

Although I have several Dapol/Hornby milk tanks a better quality model would be most welcome and the road trailer version might sell very well.

My choices are 2,3,5,8,9,10,11,12,13

In the Russell appendix there's mention that some of the S8 bloaters were converted to parcel vans.

My choice for 13 would be the same as @TrevorP1 and a GWR period cattle wagon.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

If all were released I’d purchase 3, 6, 8, 9 and 10.

That being said given the complexity I imagine would be involved in tooling 6 and the separate vehicle required for 10 I probably wouldn’t be able to afford to buy very many once the prospective RTR manufacturer has made its required margin.

• Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold
On 04/07/2021 at 16:51, BMacdermott said:

Hello everyone

Reflecting on Mike's contribution (currently two posts up), the Carriage Working books are useful to have but for 'modelling accuracy' it is always good to go from actual photos or accounts of staff who were there.

I can't think where the exact details are in my files for the moment, but I know of an occasion on the S&D when a station down the line - maybe Sturminster Newton - had a loaded Cattle Wagon booked out north at 'freight rate'.

However, for reasons of expediency or maybe health of the cattle, the wagon was hooked on the back of an Up passenger to Bath (Green Park). Being on the rear on arrival, it was a simple enough matter to unhook and shunt to the yard where it joined a suitable northbound freight.

You won't find Maunsell 3-set + Cattle Wagon in the S&D carriage workings!:)

Brian

Edited by Dunsignalling
Duplicated Post

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, BMacdermott said:

Hello Trevor & Mike

Brian

Thanks Brian - I have 'ruled through' everyting except Fruit D at item 13

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Brian,

3, 8, 9, 10. For me. Especially 10!

Extras: more accurate versions of the Fruit van Bachmann do (in the fruit vans section) and the FruitMex done by Dapol (in the Cattle section).

If that's not too naughty!

No diagram numbers as I'm currently ensconced at the Ravenglass & Eskdale so can't look them up!

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, BMacdermott said:

The Milk Tank Truck with Road Trailer would add that touch of realism that many ‘main line’ model milk trains could use.

There is a very recent and outstanding 3D printed RTR  Dyson ROTANK available in either twin or tri-axle format on a six-wheel railwagon.  Amandalee on here produces it along with many other "hard to find" GWR oddities like AERO, MOREL, CROCODILE L, and the 9 tank CORDON  They come with NEM coupling pockets and wheels.

1317266857_milk2.jpg.b10fe3adc4cb22b6a67feb7ddfd40587.jpg1847621359_milk1.jpg.3bc67eef453e93d4d1ec671017762d80.jpg

https://www.bygone-wagons.com/

I'm voting for:

1 2 3 4 8 9 and 11    Reasons:

1-4   The current RTR fruit vans (with the exception of Dapol's recent FRUIT D), are in the "Railroad" level of detail and accuraccy.

8&9 You can never have enough milk tankers of all varieties, especially on a London layout.

11 - I have to put up with Wrenn MICAs until something better comes along......

Suggestion:

TEVAN please.

Edited by M.I.B
Add photo
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

I don't know much about  milk tankers, but I would vote for the ones that lasted until the end, so saw use with Westerns and Warships. Were they Diagram 023? If they are the Dapol wagon then I'd prefer a new version of that. So no vote from me as its not on the list.

P.S. The passengers must have loved their tadpoles being used to carry fish...

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

Extras: more accurate versions of the Fruit van Bachmann do (in the fruit vans section) and the FruitMex done by Dapol (in the Cattle section).

Thanks John

As with other voters, I have moved your Cattle comments into the forthcoming Freight Mini-Poll. 

Brian

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
57 minutes ago, brushman47544 said:

I don't know much about  milk tankers, but I would vote for the ones that lasted until the end, so saw use with Westerns and Warships. Were they Diagram 023? If they are the Dapol wagon then I'd prefer a new version of that. So no vote from me as its not on the list.

P.S. The passengers must have loved their tadpoles being used to carry fish...

Hello brushman47544

The Milk Tank Wagons we list are Diags.O41, O50, O57 and O60. According to the Hugh Longworth books, the vast majority lasted to 1970.

You are welcome to vote on that basis if you so wish.

Brian

• Informative/Useful 2