A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

Is it possible to register a general vote in every mini poll?  I’ll be honest, I’d almost certainly buy, in a not too discriminating fashion, any well produced OO model of a GWR prototype in 20s/30s livery….

if there are specifics, loco wise I’d like an Aberdare, various Saints and Bulldogs.  

David

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

I'm sorry, but I've lost track of what people are being asked to vote on this time, but I am interested in a poll for departmental wagons.

Hello Captain

Wednesday's post part repeated below...

Brian

Here’s what to do…

1 You may vote for any or all of the items listed plus suggestions at 13 (if you so wish).

2 They must be items you would realistically wish to buy if made RTR at ‘affordable prices’.

3 Submit your entries on this thread simply as (for example): 2, 4, 7 – with comments and explanations following. My posting which follows should serve as an example.

4 If you vote by PM, please only list your selection of numbers without explanations.

Banana & Fruit 

1  Banana Van (Diag.Y4 of 1922)

2  Fruit Van (Diag.Y3 of 1911)

3  Fruit Van – Fruit C, 22ft long (Diag.Y9 of 1937)

Fish

4   Fish Van (eg Diag.V13, later S2)

5   Fish Van – Bloater (eg Diags.S8 & S9 of 1916)

6   Fish Van – Insixfish 6-wheel (Diag.S13 of 1948)

7   Fish Wagon – Tadpole 8-wheel (eg Diag.S2)

Milk

8   Milk Tank Wagon – 6-wheel, twin tank (Diag.O41 of 1935 & Diag.O50 of 1940)

9   Milk Tank Wagon – 6-wheel, ladders/filler at one end (eg Diags.O57 of 1946 & O60 of 1950)

10 Milk Tank Truck – 6-wheel with Dyson Milk Road Trailer Load (eg Diags.O37, O48, O49, 1932-47)

Meat & Cattle

11 Meat Van – Mica White/Grey (eg Diags.X1/X2 of 1889/1897 & Diag.X4 of 1906)

12 Special Cattle Van – Beetle C (Diags.W7, W13, W14, W17 of 1910-1953)

13 Your suggestions of vehicles not listed in the above groups

You may suggest one vehicle only in any or all of the four headings.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, derekc said:

My votes is for 1, 3, 5, 8,9,10, 11, 12,

in addition a Mink G and Mink D/Fruit D 

Hello derekc

Votes noted, but you'll have to wait until next week for the Mink Mini-Poll to vote on them.

Brian

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Clearwater said:

Is it possible to register a general vote in every mini poll?  I’ll be honest, I’d almost certainly buy, in a not too discriminating fashion, any well produced OO model of a GWR prototype in 20s/30s livery….

if there are specifics, loco wise I’d like an Aberdare, various Saints and Bulldogs.  

David

Hello  David

Not really as it would be too difficult to capture and report on the wishes. You are welcome to vote for what is presented to you in each Mini-Poll - sometimes that will be the whole list; at other times it will be just a selection.

However, most if not all Mini-Polls have a 'Related Suggestions Box'.

Brian

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

but I am interested in a poll for departmental wagons.

Hello again Captain

Repeat of an earlier posting  below.

Brian

Note for all:

As you know, we sometimes have to change titles and/or running order of the Mini-Polls to reflect 'matters arising'.

However - at present - the weekly working timetable comprises:

No.5: Minks

No.6: Freight (but excluding those in No.7 following)

No.7: Freight - Vehicle Carriers

No.8: Departmental Stock

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, Coach bogie said:

The TPO was run on behalf the the GPO who were invoiced for everything (I have obtained a lot of GWR TPO info from archived invoice records). To turn the entire train would involve addtional costs invoiced to the GPO every time this happened against the one off cost of providing a net on the offside of one vehicle. It is my belief the train was not turned on cost grounds.

Mike Wiltshire

Hello Mike

Below from a friend. I am now certain have seen photos...the problem is, where?

Brian

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

Yes, it happened daily, often in the mornings. I saw it many times when I was trainspotting at Mangotsfield. There are many photos of the operation. It was to change the doors on the TPOs to the Up platform side for the 7:20 Bristol-Newcastle (1950s), so the whole train was turned. A variety of motive power was used over the years, depending what was available on Barrow Road at the time.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

I'm interested in freight stock or departmental stock, but especially the BR diagram Herring ballast wagons, plus perhaps some more variety of GW brake vans, on top of what is already available.

An Accurascale-quality BR 16t mineral wagon (Diagram 1/108 etc.) would also be of interest.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Hello Captain

I can only accept votes cast according to the requirements stated (ie vote as 1, 3, 6, 9 etc during the currency of any Mini-Poll) otherwise posts simply get clipped into Comments Received.

Brake Vans are in No.6. The Herring is coming up in No.8.

Brian

• RMweb Gold
33 minutes ago, BMacdermott said:

Hello Mike

Below from a friend. I am now certain have seen photos...the problem is, where?

Brian

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Yes, it happened daily, often in the mornings. I saw it many times when I was trainspotting at Mangotsfield. There are many photos of the operation. It was to change the doors on the TPOs to the Up platform side for the 7:20 Bristol-Newcastle (1950s), so the whole train was turned. A variety of motive power was used over the years, depending what was available on Barrow Road at the time.

Hello again Mike W

Clips from the Summer 1961 Bristol Carriage Workings.

Brian

IMG_2424.jpg

IMG_2425.jpg

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, BMacdermott said:

Hello Captain

I can only accept votes cast according to the requirements stated (ie vote as 1, 3, 6, 9 etc during the currency of any Mini-Poll) otherwise posts simply get clipped into Comments Received.

Brake Vans are in No.6. The Herring is coming up in No.8.

Brian

OK, thanks Brian, so may I vote for numbers 6 and 8, please?

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, BMacdermott said:

Hello again Mike W

Clips from the Summer 1961 Bristol Carriage Workings.

Brian

Was the Post Office stock for this work of LMS/LNER origin? The train could be turned as a whole at both Newcastle and Bristol. Newcastle is straight forward as the train can arrived for the Edinburgh end via Gateshead and the high level bridge, though as this is in BR days, at Bristol I am surprised they did not just take the empty stock around to the west end of TM via St Philips Marsh with a shunter whilst the loco was serviced. A lot less bother. In 1961 I would expect class 45/6 diesels to have started to appear.

Mike Wiltshire

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Coach bogie said:

Was the Post Office stock for this work of LMS/LNER origin? The train could be turned as a whole at both Newcastle and Bristol. Newcastle is straight forward as the train can arrived for the Edinburgh end via Gateshead and the high level bridge, though as this is in BR days, at Bristol I am surprised they did not just take the empty stock around to the west end of TM via St Philips Marsh with a shunter whilst the loco was serviced. A lot less bother. In 1961 I would expect class 45/6 diesels to have started to appear.

Mike Wiltshire

I agree with Mike's comment here as turning via St Phillips Marsh would have been far simpler and involve no reversals or engines having to swap ends etc.     Interestingly the CWP extract makes no mention of the route/from to Lawrence Hill but the train has apparently been turned as the position of the TPOs in the formation has changed between arrival and departure.

So was the turning at Mangotsfield a hangover from LMS days or was it used as an alternative when, for whatever reason, the train could not be turned via St Phillip's Marsh?

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Hello Mike

The Carriage Workings (CWN) state that the train had three POS to/from Newcastle.

The only information I can add is that a photo on page 81 of the book, Birmingham-Bristol, Portrait of a Famous Midland Route, Part 2, dated 25 February 1958, shows E70640E attached to the loco which is about to remove the ECS. The vehicle is covered in ice and the train had been very late running - not arriving that day until 2.55pm instead of 5.20am.

Sadly, there is not enough of the next vehicle in the shot to get any certain ID on it.

The one person who would almost certainly have had a photo in his files has recently passed away - but I'll keep asking elsewhere.

Brian

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 04/07/2021 at 09:08, Mikkel said:

I don't think you need to worry, but hopefully it will be a good fight :drink_mini:

Enjoy you backstage tour of Pendon my old fruit.:drink_mini:

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, gwrrob said:

Enjoy you backstage tour of Pendon my old fruit.:drink_mini:

Thanks Rob. Yes, the plan worked well. Even the ref was in on it!  :jester:

Nah, the best team won, no doubt about that. Now I just hope they go and finish it :drink_mini:

• Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, Mikkel said:

Thanks Rob. Yes, the plan worked well. Even the ref was in on it!  :jester:

Nah, the best team won, no doubt about that. Now I just hope they go and finish it :drink_mini:

3 hours ago, gwrrob said:

I know. They've been working on Pendon for years.;)

Back of the net ! 

Yours

Ena Sharples

• Like 5
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 1

11 minutes ago, toboldlygo said:

I hope these come up in a future mini poll..

wagon_03.jpg.2c0ef247f84f7b97ee34616d56ddf478.jpg

Very nice but what about the tarp?  The ones I've seen are a bit sloppy which lets down the overall effect.

Brian.

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, brianusa said:

Very nice but what about the tarp?  The ones I've seen are a bit sloppy which lets down the overall effect.

Brian.

I believe the tarps became quite optional on them, as GWR didn't like to pay to replace the Tarp bar when it failed.

Edited by toboldlygo
typo
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, BMacdermott said:

Hello everyone

Found the photo I was thinking of - Trains lllustrated January 1957.

Brian

IMG_2426.jpg

Now that's interesting. I'd always understood that the TPOs were marshalled at the front, so that any fule leaning out of a window in the passenger section wouldn't get their block knocked off by the mailbag before it was picked up. Is that right or is it an urban myth?

I do note that in this case there don't seem to be  any nets, so perhaps it's not relevant here.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

As far as I can see those vehicles are not equipped  to collect mail from, or deliver it to, lineside apparatus.  I also read the term 'sorting carriage' as being equivalent to the code POS and not therefore the code TPO.   As I mentioned previously there was no lineside mail apparatus between Bristol and Birmingham and none on any former Midland Railway routes (according to the 1930s Sectional Appendix) although there might well have been some on the ECML north of York so there would have been little use for full blown TPOs on this working.

By odd coincidence I travelled on the direct equivalent of this train (I think it was then 19.45 from Bristol) in late 1966 using my first ever free pass - Bristol to Inverness via London - and it was notable for the considerable amount of time it spent at every station stop, no doubt due to mail traffic.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

By odd coincidence I travelled on the direct equivalent of this train (I think it was then 19.45 from Bristol) in late 1966 using my first ever free pass - Bristol to Inverness via London - and it was notable for the considerable amount of time it spent at every station stop, no doubt due to mail traffic.

Ditto from Derby to Newcastle in ‘72 (or possibly ‘73), but not on a free pass as I was still at school.

Not only long stops but noisy too.  How were you meant to sleep?

:-)

Paul.

• Like 2