A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, BMacdermott said:

Hello Trevor

The photo is at Torquay.

My copy also sits next to Summer Saturdays in the West...with Mainlines to the West adjacent, of course!:)

Brian

Brian

Mine too is next to 'Main Lines To the West' in one bookcase however "Summer Saturdays In the West' came along too late to find any space in that bookcase so is upstairs on one of the shelves in the 'library'.  Summer Saturdays were a nice little earner in the '60s as there was always a demand for staff to go up to Paddington (on overtime:dance_mini:)  and check why people were standing in the various queues for particular trains etc.  Amazing how many were in the wrong queue - usually because they thought it was the queie to get into the buffet or to buy a ticket.

42 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

I, as you know, am rarely capable of being serious, however where was that proposed route/devious thing dear heart?

P

Take a relatively direct line from the vicinity of Powderham to the east end of the large sweeping curve just before Hackney Yard,  with a  few shallow curves on the way, and  you're more or less on the line.  Full details can be found in Peter Kay's book 'Exeter to Newton Abbot  A Railway History' - an excellently put together volume of very high quality.

BTW talking of publications I have now posted my comments about the new 'Western Times' publication in the relevant thread.  'Tis a shame that, among other 'shortcomings' the writer of captions couldn't tell Taunton from Swindon in a photo.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

Amazing how many were in the wrong queue - usually because they thought it was the queie to get into the buffet or to buy a ticket.

In the 1950s and 1960s, many folk had lived through the war and rationing and had become so conditioned that if they saw a queue they had to join it.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
33 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

BTW talking of publications I have now posted my comments about the new 'Western Times' publication in the relevant thread.  'Tis a shame that, among other 'shortcomings' the writer of captions couldn't tell Taunton from Swindon in a photo.

Hi Mike

Now that is something I wouldn't be able to do. When in bandit country it is head down , no eye contact with the locals had head East as fast as you can. No time to dawdle and go sight seeing.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Mike

Now that is something I wouldn't be able to do. When in bandit country it is head down , no eye contact with the locals had head East as fast as you can. No time to dawdle and go sight seeing.

You have my sympathy, but only because you don’t know what you’re missing.

:-)

Paul.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Mine too is next to 'Main Lines To the West' in one bookcase however "Summer Saturdays In the West' came along too late to find any space in that bookcase so is upstairs on one of the shelves in the 'library'.  Summer Saturdays were a nice little earner in the '60s as there was always a demand for staff to go up to Paddington (on overtime:dance_mini:)  and check why people were standing in the various queues for particular trains etc.  Amazing how many were in the wrong queue - usually because they thought it was the queie to get into the buffet or to buy a ticket.

Take a relatively direct line from the vicinity of Powderham to the east end of the large sweeping curve just before Hackney Yard,  with a  few shallow curves on the way, and  you're more or less on the line.  Full details can be found in Peter Kay's book 'Exeter to Newton Abbot  A Railway History' - an excellently put together volume of very high quality.

Thanks MIke. Would have been a good route for fast trains.

P

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
On 11/07/2021 at 08:25, BMacdermott said:

GWR 00 Rolling Stock Mini-Poll No.5: Minks

this is a much harder one to vote on, as with kits from Coopercraft and Parkside I would not be interested in the diagrams offered there (as I am never going to pay the going rate of £20 to £30 for a RTR wagon when I could get a kit for half the price.  this makes the Mink A and Mink D a no go for me.

The Ratio Iron Mink on the other hand is a pretty awful kit, all be it I have 3 of them, so would be quite interested there.  The 21ft B/C would be interesting (but likely just a single example).  I cant recall when the bogie vans disappeared (but it it was still around in the 40s I would buy one), and the 30ft would also be a yes.

Choices:

Focus:

I would also add that I would be even happier if Parkside / Cambrian were to look at this list (and for that matter the other lists) for inspiration, as I would much prefer the above as kits rather than RTR

I would buy 1

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, The Fatadder said:

this is a much harder one to vote on, as with kits from Coopercraft and Parkside I would not be interested in the diagrams offered there (as I am never going to pay the going rate of £20 to £30 for a RTR wagon when I could get a kit for half the price.  this makes the Mink A and Mink D a no go for me.

The Ratio Iron Mink on the other hand is a pretty awful kit, all be it I have 3 of them, so would be quite interested there.  The 21ft B/C would be interesting (but likely just a single example).  I cant recall when the bogie vans disappeared (but it it was still around in the 40s I would buy one), and the 30ft would also be a yes.

Choices:

Focus:

I would also add that I would be even happier if Parkside / Cambrian were to look at this list (and for that matter the other lists) for inspiration, as I would much prefer the above as kits rather than RTR

I would buy 1

Parkside already do kits for a 16'6" Mink/Mink A and the Mink G.

John

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Final Call for Votes - GWR 00 Rolling Stock Mini-Poll No.5: Minks

Hello everyone

Your 'Polling Station' close at midnight tonight (as we are running early this week with this Mini-Poll).

If you haven't already voted, here’s what to do…

1 You may vote for any or all of the eight items listed plus a response to 9 (if you so wish).

2 They must be items you would realistically wish to buy if made RTR at ‘affordable prices’.

3 Submit your entries on this thread simply as (for example): 2, 4, 7 – with comments and explanations following.

4 If you vote by PM, please only list your selection of numbers without explanations.

GWR Mink Vans

1. Mink. ‘Iron Mink’ 16ft.

2. Mink A. 16ft

3. Mink A. 17ft 6in

4. Mink B. 21ft. Non-ventilated

5. Mink C. 21ft. Ventilated

6. Mink D. 28ft 6in

7. Mink F. 36ft. Bogie

8. Mink G. 30ft

9. If there was only enough plastic available to make just one of the above, which should it be? (Answer simply as 1 or 3 or 5 etc as usual).

Get your thinking caps on and get voting! I will acknowledge receipt of your vote via the ‘Thx’ tick box.

I look forward to your selections and comments!

Brian

(Note: These are ‘informal Polls for fun’ on Rob’s thread only and neither RMweb nor The 00 Wishlist Poll Team are specifically involved, apart from me, John, Chris and Ian in our ‘personal capacities’.)

• Thanks 1

After a lot of research, wow these polls are starting to make me dig now! I will vote for 6 & 8, Focus of 8.

However, I would only purchase 6 should it be available in an ENPARTS livery to make it applicable to my late-50s period. That being said, the livery would definitely provide a nice opportunity for some variation from the classic freight grey and brown.

• Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold

Results – GWR 00 Rolling Stock Mini-Poll No.5: Minks

Hello everyone

Many thanks to the 21 voters who took part. The number of votes to each item is shown in the left hand column and Comments Received are appended on a PDF as usual.

Please note that the results reflect the views of those who voted here and may not necessarily reflect those of the wider modelling community.

Although the two lengths of Mink A were the highest-polling, voters went for the Mink F as the focused choice.

High Polling

17        Mink A. 16ft

17        Mink A. 17ft 6in

Middle Polling

14        Mink C. 21ft. Ventilated

13        Mink B. 21ft. Non-ventilated

12        Mink F. 36ft. Bogie

Low Polling

11        Mink D. 28ft 6in

10        Mink. ‘Iron Mink’ 16ft.

10        Mink G. 30ft

If there was only enough plastic available to make just one of the above, which should it be?

8          Mink F. 36ft. Bogie

5          Mink A. 17ft 6in

3          Mink A. 16ft

2          ‘Iron Mink’

2          Mink G. 30ft

1          Mink D. 28ft 6in

0          Mink B and Mink C

We return to our normal Wednesday/Saturday/Sunday schedule from Wednesday 21 July when we will be running GWR 00 Rolling Stock Mini-Poll No.6: Freight Vehicles (exc. Vehicle Carriers & ‘Heavy Duty’). The Vehicle Carriers & ‘Heavy Duty’ types will follow the week after.

Brian

(Note: These are ‘informal Polls for fun’ on Rob’s thread only and neither RMweb nor The 00 Wishlist Poll Team are specifically involved, apart from me, John, Chris and Ian in our ‘personal capacities’.)

GWR Mini-Poll No.5 Minks Comments Received.pdf

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, BMacdermott said:

Hello everyone

I forgot to say in my post above that - as previewed - there might be a 24-hour or so delay to any replies from me on Results queries.

Brian

We will be keeping an eye on you Brian. Take care pal and look forward to the great news tomorrow.

Phil (with a 36' Mink).

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, BMacdermott said:

Hello everyone

I'm pleased to say the eye op all went well yesterday with all credit to the NHS staff I met!

If there are any queries on the Results, I'm happy to help.

Brian

Splendid. Well done that man and those stalwarts in the NHS.

P

• Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, BMacdermott said:

Hello everyone

I'm pleased to say the eye op all went well yesterday with all credit to the NHS staff I met!

If there are any queries on the Results, I'm happy to help.

Brian

Excellent news!

• Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

So after an awful long time in the works a patient has finally been released...

The 16xx now asks 'Do my seams look big in this?' 

1608_05.jpg.71e77bc37b1305a29dc1dc2cc5e5d31e.jpg

1608_06.jpg.efe7ab928948d3303ee8097c3deabf71.jpg

1608_07.jpg.0fef38dfdddb56f099263a5b566475ab.jpg

1608_09.jpg.1400ce0e59292f1c7b4692b96b2bb9bc.jpg

1608_12.jpg.4f6659721faf9b0203b5ee5d25471614.jpg

1608_13.jpg.1ac16e14469ed9b03a92b009b1cb7e32.jpg

Now time for my observations of the model.

1. Overpriced.
  2. Build quality - appalling, I lost count of the parts that fell off, the factory must of used prit stick as glue.
  3. Bunker Seams, caused by an oversized coal load force fitted in the build process, in transit the seams popped.
  4. Mis-leading instructions and part list - the exploded diagram clearly shows holes for the running plate lamp brackets, does the running plate have holes (or partially blank holes) - nope.

It does however look like a 16xx, but buyer beware.

Edited by toboldlygo
  • Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• RMweb Gold
On 30/06/2021 at 14:46, The Fatadder said:

Something I will have to have a look into once things get more sensible, I also want to pay a visit to the archives of the Kingsbridge museum.  

Something I did last week Rich. There's nothing in the photo archive I hadn't seen before. Most have been published in the books we have. You can order prints of any they have in the archive. The museum itself has a few artefacts. The sign below  was an anonymous  donation. I was passing through and walked up Fore Street. My grandparents used to live behind the Town Hall and it was nice to ring my Mum whilst she's still with it, she has Dementia, to tell her and wander down memory lane.

IMG_0257.jpg.975735eb1a3f632bde04d3ecfd2e47cf.jpg

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, toboldlygo said:

So after an awful long time in the works a patient has finally been released...

The 16xx now asks 'Do my seams look big in this?' 

1608_05.jpg.71e77bc37b1305a29dc1dc2cc5e5d31e.jpg

1608_06.jpg.efe7ab928948d3303ee8097c3deabf71.jpg

1608_07.jpg.0fef38dfdddb56f099263a5b566475ab.jpg

1608_09.jpg.1400ce0e59292f1c7b4692b96b2bb9bc.jpg

1608_12.jpg.4f6659721faf9b0203b5ee5d25471614.jpg

1608_13.jpg.1ac16e14469ed9b03a92b009b1cb7e32.jpg

Now time for my observations of the model.

1. Overpriced.
  2. Build quality - appalling, I lost count of the parts that fell off, the factory must of used prit stick as glue.
  3. Bunker Seams, caused by an oversized coal load force fitted in the build process, in transit the seams popped.
  4. Mis-leading instructions and part list - the exploded diagram clearly shows holes for the running plate lamp brackets, does the running plate have holes (or partially blank holes) - nope.

It does however look like a 16xx, but buyer beware.

Mildy offensive then?

Ar$£

• Agree 1
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1