A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

Mildy offensive then?

Ar$£

Nope :jester:

Though the Rebel Alliance are upset as they can no longer use the trench (that was there) for practice runs against the Death Star ;) :P 

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, gwrrob said:

Something I did last week Rich. There's nothing in the photo archive I hadn't seen before. Most have been published in the books we have. You can order prints of any they have in the archive. The museum itself has a few artefacts. The sign below  was an anonymous  donation. I was passing through and walked up Fore Street. My grandparents used to live behind the Town Hall and it was nice to ring my Mum whilst she's still with it, she has Dementia, to tell her and wander down memory lane.

IMG_0257.jpg.975735eb1a3f632bde04d3ecfd2e47cf.jpg

Shame re the photos, though the areas I would like to see more of (the original bridge at the London end, the area around the water tower / Hawkes store and the rear of the goods yard) are all areas that few would be taking photos of.

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Now that we're on page 1664, and given the serendipitous appearance of some recent posts on 16xx panniers, please allow me to indulge myself.

2077868542_20161130001WR16xx0-6-0PT1664.JPG.6d202e5c7079e3a09c8304372a04907d.JPG

Nu-Cast, with an MW005 motor and Romford gears, built well over 40 years ago, and weathered (at the 1981 Leeds show) by the late Paul Fletcher.

Showing its age somewhat, and certainly not the quietest loco in the world, but still giving good service on the St Blazey/Wheal Veronica china-clay run.

This loco has form. As @Barry O and others know, it disappeared into a hole on @Michael Edge's Cwmafon and refused to come out until the baseboard was turned on its end back at the clubrooms.

Please stop posting filth on this ever so clean thread and that isn't the bit about refusing to come out of a hole. :angel:

• Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, The Stationmaster said:

And here's the picture to help you. (apologies to followers of the true light in railways)

jp.jpg.cb5e09e7133790f7b9e6825a10371ff0.jpg

With pedant’s hat on,I’m assuming this is meant to be a representation of the Queen Mary  ? ‘But no name on the prow …tut,tut……:jester:

• Friendly/supportive 2

1 minute ago, Ian Hargrave said:

With pedant’s hat on,I’m assuming this is meant to be a representation of the Queen Mary  ? ‘But no name on the prow …tut,tut……:jester:

a small matter compared to the strange rendition of a Southern......something :P

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

But in the 1930’s …the age of the much prized Transatlantic Blue Riband ,I’m afraid national pride in the achievements of the two Cunard Queens put Maunsell’s LN in the shadow.Their image in the British psyche was a real morale booster,even after the war when they resumed civilian duties once again. I still remember as a very small boy a boat trip around Southampton Water  and coming close to her….the QM….and experiencing the thrill of actually seeing this majestic liner. Thrills were then of course few and far between. That was 1948…..and I have now to reflect on how the world turns.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium
31 minutes ago, Denbridge said:

a small matter compared to the strange rendition of a Southern......something :P

Cross between an angry Nelson and an irritated Arthur! Can't unthink that now........

P

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Ian Hargrave said:

But in the 1930’s …the age of the much prized Transatlantic Blue Riband ,I’m afraid national pride in the achievements of the two Cunard Queens put Maunsell’s LN in the shadow.Their image in the British psyche was a real morale booster,even after the war when they resumed civilian duties once again. I still remember as a very small boy a boat trip around Southampton Water  and coming close to her….the QM….and experiencing the thrill of actually seeing this majestic liner. Thrills were then of course few and far between. That was 1948…..and I have now to reflect on how the world turns.

I remember being taken to Southampton as a young child and seeing the big ships. A few weeks later we had a family trip to Northampton, new schools shoes was top of the shopping list. I was so disappointed no ships. We did however travel from Bedford to Northampton by a class 2 2-6-2T on a push pull train. :locomotive:

• Like 5
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I remember being taken to Southampton as a young child and seeing the big ships. A few weeks later we had a family trip to Northampton, new schools shoes was top of the shopping list. I was so disappointed no ships. We did however travel from Bedford to Northampton by a class 2 2-6-2T on a push pull train. :locomotive:

When I worked for Silverlink Trains, we were hopeful of a joint project with South West Trains to merge Northampton and Southampton to produce one enormous Hampton. Sadly Connex intervened on behalf of the disgruntled residents of Littlehampton, so that was that. Life is tough.  

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Oldddudders said:

When I worked for Silverlink Trains, we were hopeful of a joint project with South West Trains to merge Northampton and Southampton to produce one enormous Hampton. Sadly Connex intervened on behalf of the disgruntled residents of Littlehampton, so that was that. Life is tough.  

Someone must of got the wick, the Hampton Wick.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 3

3 hours ago, Ian Hargrave said:

When we were in California just over a decade ago, I persuaded my wife we ought to go and visit the QM.  We had an excellent tour of the ship by a person who was clearly trying to become an actor, she was entertaining.  Ship is still magnificent but, per pictures below, is showing her age in certain places.

6BB94648-2ABF-451F-BCB5-4611E2ED33FE.jpeg

5B0670A8-6021-4527-898C-D5DECDF077CE.jpeg

E6DB53EA-575A-4D21-B3FD-C6E3B0E81256.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

6 hours ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Wrong company - Queen Mary being Cunard.

White Star - most famous for RMS Titanic - is the company that is featured on the poster.

Artwork isn't accurate but it appears it might by the RMS Majestic (built 1914, largest ship in world until the SS Normandie  [Hamburg America Line], Majestic being built as the SS Bismarck, but never entered service thanks to WW1 and was then completed after WW1 and handed over to the allies as war reparations).

White Star and Cunard merged in 1934 as a condition of help from the British Government as both were in serious financial trouble thanks to the depression and became Cunard White Star, and then eventually a return to just Cunard.

Edited by mdvle
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 7

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Nick Gough said:

Surely not with yellow funnels?

Exactly so - the clue is in the namr of the shipping line on the poster.  And as 'mdvle' has just posted the ship is the RMS Majestic and the appearance of it in the poster is little different from an original paintong of that vessel - both being slightly stylised from the original appearance.  Majestic was, I think, probably the only large White Star liner with three funnels at that time.\

The green steaming machine isn't just any engine but with that running number is actually meant to be 'King Arthur'  her(him)self  - so the poster dates after 1925 and before 1933 when the merger talks with Cunard got underway.

• Informative/Useful 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Exactly so - the clue is in the namr of the shipping line on the poster.  And as 'mdvle' has just posted the ship is the RMS Majestic and the appearance of it in the poster is little different from an original paintong of that vessel - both being slightly stylised from the original appearance.  Majestic was, I think, probably the only large White Star liner with three funnels at that time.\

The green steaming machine isn't just any engine but with that running number is actually meant to be 'King Arthur'  her(him)self  - so the poster dates after 1925 and before 1933 when the merger talks with Cunard got underway.

Yup, as I said, a mating of at least two Classes Firebox and Running Plates for example and a great fudge of not having to do the VG due to wisps of steam! Coaches are almost French, but too short!

Good old 1930s Art Deco style, probably fuelled by Gin and Coke (no, real Coke...the white powdery stuff) and painted whilst in the nude in a plush garden , surrounded by women draped in feathers and some Leather Straps... OK I'll leave that there and go and shower.

Ar$£

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

If anyone loves them it is all G Bloke's fault they look so damn good. I just stored them for too long, being SR and not BR(SR) you see!

If anyone doesn't like them, then hard cheese.

Set No 209 could easily be weathered 'out', or, if Rob isn't that arsed, Set renumbered. Who is going to see the actual coach numbers?

Look good on the layout Rob. Could Possibly run to Brent behind a 'Big Tank' on an excursion from the SR east of Exeter, via St. D's?

P

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Gold

Cunard White Star, a hard name to associate with Dartford, but I will attempt to do so. I was SM there in 1979/80, but heard tales of the old Dartford, a three-platform station until the 1971 colour light resignalling, and 4-platform reconstruction.

In semaphore days, with London smogs, it was nothing for a train to lose half an hour between leaving London and arriving at Dartford, a whole 10 miles away. On just such an evening passengers were getting bored with standing on the down platform awaiting their train on to Gravesend and the Medway Towns. No announcements of any value, no information. As often happens, grumbling passengers started talking to each other, and a deputation headed for the staff room, demanding to be heard. A tirade of the usual sort, including the familiar "couldn't run a bath/wheelbarrow" imagery, was being delivered  by the spokesman, a senior mariner in full uniform. His flow was interrupted by Leading Railman Spud Murphy, who pointed to his insignia and said "Isn't that Cunard?" "Yes - what of it?"  "Well - what about the Titanic then?" Not another word was said. 

• Round of applause 3
  • Funny 14

• RMweb Gold

GWR 00 Rolling Stock Mini-Poll No.6: Freight Vehicles (excl Vehicle Carriers & ‘Heavy Duty’)

Hello everyone

Welcome to the sixth in our series of GWR 00 Rolling Stock Mini-Polls. I am running them here with my friends, John Lewis, Chris Knowles-Thomas and Ian Taylor on Rob’s behalf. Stock that ‘carried vehicles’ or were ‘heavy duty’ are in the next Mini-Poll.

You will find ‘an indication’ of what we are looking at via the suggested example diagrams in parentheses. We simply cannot list every incarnation! The makers are tending to ‘tool up’ to cover as many variants as are commercially viable. For us, the mantra is: If it looks like Bogie Bolster Wagon, it probably is a Bogie Bolster Wagon, or a member of the same family.

In order to generate some debate – and some ‘learning opportunities’ – please feel free to explain why you have chosen your selections. I copy all ‘Comments Received’ in order of receipt – but with names removed – and post them as a PDF with the Results.

Please note that we do not welcome comments that act as an excuse to start up the old chestnut of ‘kits vs RTR’!

Here’s what to do…

1 You may vote for any or all of the items listed plus suggestions at 11 & 12 (if you so wish).

2 They must be items you would realistically wish to buy if made RTR at ‘affordable prices’.

3 Submit your entries on this thread simply as (for example): 2, 4, 7 – with comments and explanations following. My posting which follows should serve as an example.

4 If you vote by PM, please only list your selection of numbers without explanations.

Brake Van

1   Brake Van – 4-wheel Vacuum Braked (Diag.AA21 of 1939)

Bogie Bolster

2   Bogie Bolster A Wagon – Macaw H 20-ton (1927)

3   Bogie Bolster C Wagon – Macaw B 30-ton (1907)

Cattle, Grain & Mineral

4   Cattle Wagon – 11ft wheelbase (eg Diag.W1 of 1888)

5   Grain Wagon – Grano (Diag.V25 of 1935)

6   Mineral Wagon – ‘Felix Pole’ (eg Diag.N32 of 1933)

Opens

7   Open Wagons – 16ft, 9ft wheelbase, with/without Sheet Support (Diags. between O3 and O25, 1904-1926)

8   Open Wagons – 17ft 6in, 10ft wheelbase, with/without Sheet Support (Diags. between O31 and O42, 1932-BR days)

9   Open Shock Wagon (Diag.O44 of 1939)

Conflat

10 Conflat A Wagon (Diag.H10 of 1944, inc BR Diag.1/061 etc of 1950 on)

11 Containers

There are too many to list for you to vote upon. If you want to see any particular Container made, please give details, preferably with a GWR code, such as A1, AF1, BD1 etc. A good point of reference is pp218-219 of A History of GWR Goods Wagons, New Edition Combining Parts 1 & 2 by Atkins, Beard et al.

12 Your suggestions of any wagons not covered in this, earlier or forthcoming Mini-Polls.

Get your thinking caps on and get voting! I will acknowledge receipt of your vote via the ‘Thx’ tick box.

You have until 17.00 on Saturday 24 July. However, I will stop earlier and advise if votes reach 50. I will present the results during the day on Sunday 25 July.

I look forward to your selections and comments!

Brian

(Note: These are ‘informal Polls for fun’ on Rob’s thread only and neither RMweb nor The 00 Wishlist Poll Team are specifically involved, apart from me, John, Chris and Ian in our ‘personal capacities’.)

• Thanks 4

• RMweb Gold

Hello everyone

Here are my votes:

1   Brake Van – 4-wheel Vacuum Braked

2   Bogie Bolster A Wagon – Macaw H 20-ton

3   Bogie Bolster C Wagon – Macaw B 30-ton

8   Open Wagons – 17ft 6in, 10ft wheelbase, with/without Sheet Support 

10 Conflat A Wagon to go with…

11 Containers: I’d go for the BM and FM Meat Containers.

Hornby has recently produced its very nice Unfitted Brake Van, so that leaves the Fitted to come.

All the current Bogie Bolsters are very old tooling as far as I can tell, so upgraded versions with NEM couplers would be useful.

You can never have too many Open Wagons, and the GWR designs could test a model designer’s skills in how many variants could be covered from slip tools etc!

Finally, I’d go for a new Conflat and the Meat Containers (BM & FM).

Brian