A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Premium

1, 2, 4, 7, 8, 9, 10.

12  12ton China clay O13 and/or 1/051 would surely be a huge seller given the number of Cornish layouts there are out there and the short comings of the Baccy version even the Ratio kit has the later axles boxes.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

1, 3, 6, 8, 9, 10.

11 - Any decently modelled container from the B series still in use c.1960.

I'm already pushing one manufacturer on the BBC as they had a long life and served all over the place thus it would have been extremely rude not to list it; similarly with the N6  as they got into widespread traffic use as time went on.  An open wagon with a proper sheet rail would be an excellent thing to go for again because they got about all over the place and a Shock High. (No.9)  is really long overdue because of their usefulness.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold

For me its

1 vacuum braked brake van

4: Cattle wagon 11’d

7: Open wagon 16’9

10: Conflat A

and how about:

12: Gane A. 62’ bogie bolster  - to carry 60’ sections of rail

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2,4 and 9.

Not included:

Diag C24 or C25 Crocodile L

Diag J1 Gane.

Diag N1 etc  - 40T loco coal wagon

Diag N3 etc  20T loco coal wagon with round corners (did we have this?)

Diag T12 - Chaired sleper wagon - with load.

Diag W7 sppecial cattle wagon n(did we have this?)

|Diag CC3 or CC7 Tool Vaqn (iron body)

Diag DD3 travelling oil tank

Diag DD4 gas reservoir tank 9 reservoirs. (Could use 4 wheel coach u/frame? (did we have this?)

• Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold

Hello John

Departmental Stock will be dealt with in GWR Mini-Poll No.8 (in about two weeks).

I will email you direct to remind you what we have on the list as it is some weeks since we ok'd the draft.

Note to all: We are deliberately not listing absolutely everything as that would make each Mini-Poll into more of a 'normal Wishlist Poll' - there are over 400 diagrams of GWR coaches etc for a start! We are trying to keep each Mini-Poll to a max of 12 items, but with the option of leaving suggestions.

Brian

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Once again, thanks for putting these together Brian.

I would vote for:

1, 4, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

AA21 is definitely the missing link in brake vans, although Bachmann do a vacuum braked livery AA23 I don't believe it matches the standard of the Hornby AA15.

4 would give some needed Western flavour to those currently on the market, again an open goal.

7,8,9 these got everywhere, and are a big feature of mixed goods. I would love Rapido to follow on with them after, what are currently looking like superb SECR opens.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Premium

Thank you once again Brian and I’m glad you are ‘ex works’.

I don’t think I’m asking too much for the following! Surely any of them - possibly excepting the Toad - would be a good bet for any manufacturer? The W12 and O13 are begging for the Accurascale treatment. So…

2     Vac braked Toad. Any 4 wheel diagram.

4     Cattle wagon W12.

8     17’ 6” open wagon.

12  12ton China clay O13 and/or 1/051 - I need another 10 or so and I’m getting bored with building kits! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I would consider any new GWR wagon but as my budget is not unlimited, those most likely to be purchased would be 1/4/5/7/8/9.

12 - a new Crocodile would be nice too.

Martin

• Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold

Thanks again Brian. I would readily buy any new GWR liveried wagon brought to the market.

My votes are as follows : 1 to 10 inclusive and 11 with any container.:P Under 12 I would suggest the Coral A glass wagon as it looks an interesting vehicle.

The suggestions given for the bogie bolsters and crocodile are very valid as the date back to Airfix times and certainly not 21st standard models.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Siberian Snooper said:

Thanks for the poll, Team,  but nothing floats my boat in this poll, it's mostly to late for me.

Interesting poll but surely time to return to Topics at Brent and GW trains:smile_mini2:

Brian.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

12 - 12T china-clay 5 plank end-door wagon diagram O13 with oil axleboxes (also the BR 13T version diagram 1/051)

Another vote for the china clay open.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Premium
23 hours ago, BMacdermott said:

GWR 00 Rolling Stock Mini-Poll No.6: Freight Vehicles (excl Vehicle Carriers & ‘Heavy Duty’)

Hello everyone

Welcome to the sixth in our series of GWR 00 Rolling Stock Mini-Polls. I am running them here with my friends, John Lewis, Chris Knowles-Thomas and Ian Taylor on Rob’s behalf. Stock that ‘carried vehicles’ or were ‘heavy duty’ are in the next Mini-Poll.

You will find ‘an indication’ of what we are looking at via the suggested example diagrams in parentheses. We simply cannot list every incarnation! The makers are tending to ‘tool up’ to cover as many variants as are commercially viable. For us, the mantra is: If it looks like Bogie Bolster Wagon, it probably is a Bogie Bolster Wagon, or a member of the same family.

In order to generate some debate – and some ‘learning opportunities’ – please feel free to explain why you have chosen your selections. I copy all ‘Comments Received’ in order of receipt – but with names removed – and post them as a PDF with the Results.

Please note that we do not welcome comments that act as an excuse to start up the old chestnut of ‘kits vs RTR’!

Here’s what to do…

1 You may vote for any or all of the items listed plus suggestions at 11 & 12 (if you so wish).

2 They must be items you would realistically wish to buy if made RTR at ‘affordable prices’.

3 Submit your entries on this thread simply as (for example): 2, 4, 7 – with comments and explanations following. My posting which follows should serve as an example.

4 If you vote by PM, please only list your selection of numbers without explanations.

Brake Van

1   Brake Van – 4-wheel Vacuum Braked (Diag.AA21 of 1939)

Bogie Bolster

2   Bogie Bolster A Wagon – Macaw H 20-ton (1927)

3   Bogie Bolster C Wagon – Macaw B 30-ton (1907)

Cattle, Grain & Mineral

4   Cattle Wagon – 11ft wheelbase (eg Diag.W1 of 1888)

5   Grain Wagon – Grano (Diag.V25 of 1935)

6   Mineral Wagon – ‘Felix Pole’ (eg Diag.N32 of 1933)

Opens

7   Open Wagons – 16ft, 9ft wheelbase, with/without Sheet Support (Diags. between O3 and O25, 1904-1926)

8   Open Wagons – 17ft 6in, 10ft wheelbase, with/without Sheet Support (Diags. between O31 and O42, 1932-BR days)

9   Open Shock Wagon (Diag.O44 of 1939)

Conflat

10 Conflat A Wagon (Diag.H10 of 1944, inc BR Diag.1/061 etc of 1950 on)

11 Containers

There are too many to list for you to vote upon. If you want to see any particular Container made, please give details, preferably with a GWR code, such as A1, AF1, BD1 etc. A good point of reference is pp218-219 of A History of GWR Goods Wagons, New Edition Combining Parts 1 & 2 by Atkins, Beard et al.

12 Your suggestions of any wagons not covered in this, earlier or forthcoming Mini-Polls.

Get your thinking caps on and get voting! I will acknowledge receipt of your vote via the ‘Thx’ tick box.

You have until 17.00 on Saturday 24 July. However, I will stop earlier and advise if votes reach 50. I will present the results during the day on Sunday 25 July.

I look forward to your selections and comments!

Brian

(Note: These are ‘informal Polls for fun’ on Rob’s thread only and neither RMweb nor The 00 Wishlist Poll Team are specifically involved, apart from me, John, Chris and Ian in our ‘personal capacities’.)

Morning Brian and team, thank you for another interesting poll.

The problem with open wagons is that we don’t have enough! Or at least company designed / liveried examples. Basically I have too many box vans, compared to opens!

My votes would therefore go to:

Firstly 6;7;8 as essential open wagons.

Followed by a new Toad Brake van….. although I’m not convinced about an AA21 as it’s a bit late in the GWR for me….. How about an AA16 instead? With outside framing making it an unusual design.

Next in my personal list in order of priority would be containers Interestingly on Page 513 of my combined volume): AF1 insulated; BS1 as it could be liveried GWR and a separate model for the LMS; plus, how about a nice GWR Thorneycroft lorry for them to sit on (Pg 516 in my book); BK2 / BP1 with opening doors?

Conflat - to go with the suggested containers, an earlier design such as H6 or H7 would be better…. To modern fine standards, rather than the clunky ones we have now :-)

As a random wagon, how about a F series of steam roller trucks?

Thanks again for an interesting poll.

Regards, Neal.

• Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold

Hello Neal

A query and comment on your post...

You note: Firstly 6;7;8 as essential open wagons. Item 6 is the Felix Pole Mineral Wagon. Did you mean 7, 8 and 9 as 'Opens'  (and not 6)?

I haven't logged the F series Steam Roller Truck as a 'suggestion' as that is coming up next week in: GWR 00 Rolling Stock Mini-Poll No.7: Vehicle Carriers & ‘Heavy Duty’.

Brian

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, BMacdermott said:

Hello Neal

A query and comment on your post...

You note: Firstly 6;7;8 as essential open wagons. Item 6 is the Felix Pole Mineral Wagon. Did you mean 7, 8 and 9 as 'Opens'  (and not 6)?

I haven't logged the F series Steam Roller Truck as a 'suggestion' as that is coming up next week in: GWR 00 Rolling Stock Mini-Poll No.7: Vehicle Carriers & ‘Heavy Duty’.

Brian

Thanks Brian, sorry I didn’t explain myself properly!

7 and 8 as essential open wagons, but also in smaller numbers no 6 as the Felix Pole wagons were just starting to be produced in quantity for my time period.

I would say no to the O44 as that is a bit too late for me.

F series, that’s great thank you.

Apologies for the confusion. Regards, Neal.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, brianusa said:

Interesting poll but surely time to return to Topics at Brent and GW trains:smile_mini2:

Brian.

This is diversionary tactics so that Rob, rather like certain Government Departments, can do stuff we don't notice and then suddenly announce it with a huge fanNyfare. I suspect a move to replace his layout with something like Halwill Junction, where he can indulge his secret passion for the NCR etc. I have seen the signs.....:D

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, gwrrob said:

I do have a soft spot for Padstow and Chough Bakery sell wonderful blue cheese pasties.:P

Blue cheese. Yes please.

Pasty. Absolutely.

The two together? Nooooo!

• Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Contradiction in terms.

10 minutes ago, TrevorP1 said:

The two together? Nooooo!

Don't knock it till you've tried it.:drink_mini: