A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

Your sense of humour is showing again young Rob:D

There’s a wisecrack somewhere about the humour being in bad taste but I’m too hot to think of it!

• Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Well, well, well… Is this the dawning of the age of the GWR rtr wagon? 

https://railsofsheffield.com/collections/iron-mink-vans?mc_cid=d5f5052676&mc_eid=640c17b9af

The model itself looks good but I’m not sure about the lettering for the post-1936 GWR version? The font looks incorrect. The white roof will have to go.

Anyway, a pleasant surprise! 

CoY

Edited by County of Yorkshire
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

26 minutes ago, Ribird said:

But for £36.95? And being a Rapido wagon? 

Not sure if that is a good deal or not. Do correct me if it is. 

They’re produced in partnership with Dapol. 

The venerable yet still decent Ratio Iron Mink kit is still available for less than a tenner. Ultimately prospective purchasers will have to make their own value judgments… 

• Agree 2

49 minutes ago, County of Yorkshire said:

They’re produced in partnership with Dapol. 

The venerable yet still decent Ratio Iron Mink kit is still available for less than a tenner. Ultimately prospective purchasers will have to make their own value judgments… 

Whoops! I had Rapido on the mind! Has been changed to Dapol! 

• RMweb Gold

Something doesnt look quite right to my eyes, though its possibly the hideous NEM coupling pockets distorting the view.  Will be interesting to see one with the roof repainted (and not washed out  by the lighting).

£36 is also far too expensive for a short 2 axle van....

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Ribird said:

But for £36.95? And being a Dapol wagon? 

I bought the 7mm version Minerva do for not much more money. I'll give these a miss thanks.

• Agree 8
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, County of Yorkshire said:

I know it’s not kosher to talk price on here these days, but these feel around £10-£15 overpriced to me. They don’t exactly look finescale do they, and that anaemic ‘GW’ font gets worse the more I look at it. 

If it had a brass roof (the only way they could model the thin sheet metal), a decent paint job (not exactly Dapol’s forte) and a little more refinement on the chassis.  Then maybe worth the price, as it is it’s far too crude 

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Ribird said:

But for £36.95? And being a Dapol wagon? 

No, I don't think it is.  But against my better judgement I've ordered one anyway.  Will be interesting to see how it looks next to my Ratio version.

Dapol are aspiring to high standards with their recent loco projects (and a lot of their 7mm stuff) but I'm aware that my punt today with Rails is against a backdrop of years of indifferent-to-bad 4mm scale wagons of dubious authenticity and livery to put it mildly.  If Dapol had produced this iron mink in plastic 10 or 20 years ago it would probably still be selling steadily today and might have made them more money than this limited edition will do.  But I applaud Rails for commissioning it, regardless of my doubts re their partner..

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Welchester said:

Well, if you really want an unorthodox take, here you go:

Cornish pastis.

Blimey, that's the same price as a bottle of rosé from our local vineyard.

The Rails Mink is a 3-D print (unless something has changed in recent months as the early ones after the design had been finalised were definitely 3-D prints), same as the SECR vehicle Rails did.  The NEM pockets are very obtrusive and i wonder if they are separate parts?   And I'm desperately trying to work out what it has to do with Dapol (unless they did the decoration?) - Dapol aren't mentioned on the Rails web pages for these vans and they definitely had nothing whatsoever to do with the research which was done by folk working on behalf of Rails.

Being GW the Iron Minks suffered from typical GW 'standardisation' which meant there were various combinations of basic chassis/axleboxes (4 variants), 8 different bodies including 6 different versions of the two 'standard' bodies; and at least 9 different body/chassis/brake variants - all of these variations taking account changes over a period of time between 1888 and as running into early BR days.    And there were of course the various changes made to teh brake gear after 1918. 

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

And I'm desperately trying to work out what it has to do with Dapol (unless they did the decoration?) - Dapol aren't mentioned on the Rails web pages for these vans and they definitely had nothing whatsoever to do with the research which was done by folk working on behalf of Rails.

You might know who helped with the research Mike but the Rail's spiel states it's been produced in partnership with Dapol.

https://railsofsheffield.com/blogs/news/gwr-v6-iron-mink-in-oo

6 hours ago, County of Yorkshire said:

Well, well, well… Is this the dawning of the age of the GWR rtr wagon? 

It's the new(ish) 3D printing thing that Rails and Dapol partnered up with for that previous wagon, so while RTR not what most would think of when you say RTR (injection moulded plastic).

So the price reflects that process I assume.

Though for those who get the Rapido UK newsletter they had samples of the upcoming GunPowder wagon in it today (including the GWR Z4 version).

Also pictures of the AA20 Toad CAD in progress.

Also, the 15xx is delayed - explanation in the newsletter.

Edited by mdvle
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, The Fatadder said:

£36 is also far too expensive for a short 2 axle van....

I think it's too expensive for a long 8-wheeled coach but that's just my opinion.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3