A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

5 hours ago, County of Yorkshire said:

Brian,

I would purchase any and all of 1 to 10 inclusive. 

In terms of 12) Other Wagons - we need a Lowmac, ideally an earlier diagram with rounded curves, not the later 'orrible angular ones. Also, some crocodiles; the Bachmann (nee Mainline) crocodile scrubs up quite well, but as they came in varying lengths, I would love to see a longer one, as there aren't even any kits for these iirc. 

Thanks

CoY

Rapido are releasing a Loriot Y. which is a nice lowmac type, as long as one is modelling late 30's onwards.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
On 23/07/2021 at 14:11, Stubby47 said:

And here is yet another example of how fans of the lesser railways don't really understand the superior GWR - Panniers have wheels, not feet. 

They had flippers not feet that is why they waddled like a Duck.

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

Results

GWR 00 Rolling Stock Mini-Poll No.6: Freight Vehicles (excl Vehicle Carriers & ‘Heavy Duty’)

Hello everyone

Many thanks to the 20 voters who took part. The number of votes to each item is shown in the left hand column and Comments Received are appended on a PDF as usual.

Please note that the results reflect the views of those who voted here and may not necessarily reflect those of the wider modelling community.

High Polling

17        Brake Van – 4-wheel Vacuum Braked (Diag.AA21 of 1939)

16        Open Wagons – 17ft 6in, 10ft w/b, with/without Sheet Support (Diags. between O31 and O42, 1932-BR days)

15        Cattle Wagon – 11ft wheelbase (eg Diag.W1)

15        Conflat A Wagon (Diag.H10 of 1944, inc BR Diag.1/061 etc of 1950 on)

Middle Polling

13        Open Shock Wagon (Diag.O44 of 1939)

12        Open Wagons – 16ft, 9ft w/b, with/without Sheet Support (Diags. between O3 and O25, 1904-1926)

11        Bogie Bolster A Wagon – Macaw H 20-ton (1927)

11        Mineral Wagon – ‘Felix Pole’ (eg Diag.N32 of 1933)

10        Bogie Bolster C Wagon – Macaw B 30-ton (1907)

Low Polling

6          Grain Wagon – Grano (Diag.V25 of 1935)

Containers (summarised from Comments Received)

1. Any Containers that aren't already available.

2. I'd buy any GWR Container at an affordable price but I'd be particularly keen on any of the meat carrying varieties.

3. BM, FM1, FM2 or G1 Containers.

4. AF1 insulated. BS1 as it could be liveried GWR and a separate model for the LMS. Plus, how about a nice GWR Thorneycroft lorry for them to sit on (page 516 in my book); BK2/BP1 with opening doors?

Suggestions for Wagons not Listed

5          China Clay Diag.O13 or BR Diag.1/051

3          Crocodile

2          Coral A Glass Wagon

1          Aero Wagon

1          Gane A. 62ft Bogie Bolster to carry 60ft sections of rail

We will be back on Wednesday 28 July with GWR 00 Rolling Stock Mini-Poll No.7: Vehicle Carriers & ‘Heavy Duty’.

Brian

(Note: These are ‘informal Polls for fun’ on Rob’s thread only and neither RMweb nor The 00 Wishlist Poll Team are specifically involved, apart from me, John, Chris and Ian in our ‘personal capacities’.)

GWR Mini-Poll No.6 Freight Comments Received.pdf

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

Some comments on the Rails of Sheffield/Dapol mdel. I have only seen the Rails' photos.

The body looks the part and appears well detailed. The roof inevitably is of overscale thickness, the prototype's roof was of 1/8" iron plates! Adventurous modellers could perhaps thin the end edge from the inside? I have seen comments about the door frames.  It seems that the side fr4aming was of 2½"x2½" oak, the bottom rail was of teak.

The horse hook holes in the underfraame were 3½ inches in diameter. I the photographs, the buffer guides look a little heavy to me. When these vans were bult they had a single brake lever operating two brake shoes on one side only. The slightly unusual feature of this brake was that there was only one V hanger, which was rivetted to the solebar.  As usual , the brake handle was on the outside, and the short lever operating the push rods was on the inside. Inside that was a vertical, slightly tapered, rod which had a bearing for the brake shaft on its bottom end and which was attached to an underframe bracket on its top end. The brake shaft did not go across the wagon. So if you viewed the wagon centrall y, the brake would appear to have a V with a vertical rod behind it. . In the 1920s the GWR started fitting a second brake handle to the other side of the wagon, so they simply fitted an independent brake, like the original, but in many cases only using one push rod and shoe. The brake raack was toothed, but as far as I am aware it did not have a connection to the nearest W iron.

The "late condition" of the models with the 1921 -37 "GW" in 16" letters, seems to refer to it having the second set of brakes, it is in fact the earliest variant on offer. The end numbers were dropped in the 1920s, but it is good to see them here. I am not convinced that the 1937-41 livery is quite right, I think it should be in slightly heavier weight characters and spread out a little more. Some photographs are attached showing this. The tare was to be shown as 6_10 with out quarters, but Rails may have a photo of one in the format 6_7_5 In any event the signwriters seem to have had problems with not using italic characters for this!  I am not sure where they got the number 88331 from - this is outside the range of their original numbers, but it could have been an ex-TVR example, possibly.  It would be interesting to know of any one has photos of examples in BR livery. 47120 was built in July 1889 and lasted until July 1950, I don't know about 69552.  I would suggest that teh BR examples should have a grey roof.

The photos show 57917 in 1921-37  livery,  The others are in the 1937-41 livery. 11036 show the brake rack and just the central support road behind the the push rod. 69065 has only one push rod and brake shoe on the side nearest the photographer,  69627 show the usual two shoe brake and appears to be freshly painted.69627.jpg.961e215e8e809facd0e8b9bcb8a89495.jpg69627.jpg.961e215e8e809facd0e8b9bcb8a89495.jpg69065.jpg.a9a250f22ecf03cf2579c5b066e8f12d.jpg69065.jpg.a9a250f22ecf03cf2579c5b066e8f12d.jpg11036.jpg.c7524c3b5d08dc0c2e2038ebe651d3ce.jpg

57917.jpg

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 15

For some sort of continuity here is a scan of the mink which I photographed back in the 70's. It stood at the rear of Banbury Station for as long as I can remember in this state ( good reference material for some extreme weathering ! ).

1984308859_ironminkbanbury.jpg.84dee6b851023fac0170144672ed2dc3.jpg

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, checkrail said:

Well, I got my Rails iron mink.  Here it is next to the Ratio one.   

im1.jpg.f882f91ce84a306f47dae7868cc5dd7a.jpg

Don't waste your money -  get the Ratio kit!

More thoughts and pics on my layout thread.

John C.

Ratio kit looks better, the Rails one looks wrong.

Tip from young Skywalker - decals prefer a smooth gloss surface to sit down on

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, toboldlygo said:

Tip from young Skywalker - decals prefer a smooth gloss surface to sit down on

Yep, been meaning to do something about that for ages.  Think they were the ancient decals in the kit.

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, checkrail said:

Yep, been meaning to do something about that for ages.  Think they were the ancient decals in the kit.

With TLC, ancient decals will go down - at least there not garage decals.

A quick brush in one direction with Tamiya Extra thin. Emphasis on the one brush swipe, will pull them down, just don't touch them afterwards.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 7

• RMweb Gold
On 26/07/2021 at 22:40, John Lewis said:

57917.jpg

Thanks for an informative post, John. Do you happen to know the location of that last photo? I was thinking Reading Vastern Rd because of the trees, but the buildings look a bit too grand/tall for that.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Miss Prism said:

The perils of being absent from RMweb - I was away for six weeks, and I missed six GWR polls and news of a new GWR magazine!

Hello Miss P

Happy to see you back in action. It couldn't have been an easy time for you.

There are two more Mini-Polls to run and the first of those is coming up during this morning.

Brian

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

GWR 00 Rolling Stock Mini-Poll No.7: Vehicle Carriers & ‘Heavy Duty’

Hello everyone

Welcome to the seventh in our series of GWR 00 Rolling Stock Mini-Polls. I am running them here with my friends, John Lewis, Chris Knowles-Thomas and Ian Taylor on Rob’s behalf.

You will find ‘an indication’ of what we are looking at via the suggested example diagrams in parentheses. We simply cannot list every incarnation! The makers are tending to ‘tool up’ to cover as many variants as are commercially viable. For us, the mantra is: If it looks like a Mogo, it probably is a Mogo, or a member of the same family.

In order to generate some debate – and some ‘learning opportunities’ – please feel free to explain why you have chosen your selections. I copy all ‘Comments Received’ in order of receipt – but with names removed – and post them as a PDF with the Results.

Please note that we do not welcome comments that act as an excuse to start up the old chestnut of ‘kits vs RTR’!

Here’s what to do…

1. You may vote for any or all of the items listed plus suggestions at 13 (if you so wish).

2. They must be items you would realistically wish to buy if made RTR at ‘affordable prices’.

3. Submit your entries on this thread simply as (for example): 2, 4, 7 – with comments and explanations following. My posting which follows should serve as an example.

4. If you vote by PM, please only list your selection of numbers without explanations.

Carriage Trucks

1   Covered Carriage Truck – Python (end doors, vac fitted. Diags.P13, 14, 19, 20)

2   Open Carriage Truck – Scorpion (open body, vac fitted. eg Diag.P15)

3   Open Carriage Truck – Serpent C (open body, some used for containers. eg Diag.G21)

Motor Car Vans

4   Motor Car Van – Asmo (end doors, vac fitted, long 33ft. Diag.G26)

5   Motor Car Van – Damo A (end doors, vac fitted, short, 20ft. Diag.G24)

6   Motor Car Van – Damo B (end doors, vac fitted, medium 30ft. Diag.G25)

7   Motor Car Van – Mogo (end doors, vac fitted, Diags.V23, G31 & G43 Plywood)

'Heavy Duty'

8   Girder Wagon Set – Pollen (Diags.A6, A9, A10 of 1909)

9   Steam Road Roller & Water Cart Wagon (shallow well. Diags.F1-4)

10 Well Wagon – Crocodile (various 1892 onwards)

11 Well Wagon – Hydra D (vac fitted. Diag.G22)

12 Well Wagon – Loriot (various, Loriot L preserved. eg Diags.G1, G13)

13. Your suggestions of any ‘vehicle carrier’ or ‘heavy duty’ wagon not listed.

Please note that suggestions for the Coral A Glass Wagon, Aero Wagon and Gane A were logged in the previous Mini-Poll.

Get your thinking caps on and get voting! I will acknowledge receipt of your vote via the ‘Thx’ tick box.

You have until 17.00 on Saturday 31 July. However, I will stop earlier and advise if votes reach 50. I will present the results during the day on Sunday 1 August. The final Mini-Poll of the series will follow a week later; that will be Departmental Stock.

I look forward to your selections and comments!

Brian

(Note: These are ‘informal Polls for fun’ on Rob’s thread only and neither RMweb nor The 00 Wishlist Poll Team are specifically involved, apart from me, John, Chris and Ian in our ‘personal capacities’.)

• Thanks 3

• RMweb Gold

Hello everyone

I’m just going for the Mogo in this one.

The current Bachmann model has the 1991 Mainline body on a new-tool chassis of 2001. To my mind, the body looks wrong with those very big door hinges. A new version would no doubt give the possibility of slatted or plywood construction.

My suggestion of a missing item is the Rectank. That is the bogie vehicle that was originally designed for carrying WW1 tanks (not to be confused with 4-wheel Rectangular Tank Wagons!). BR built 78 similar but ‘modernised’ vehicles to Diag.2/440 between 1958 and 1960. Preserved Rectanks can be found at the Severn Valley Railway and the Scottish Railway Preservation Society.

There is a Loriot coming from Rapido, but we’re not sure yet if it will be available as a single unit or part of a Titfield Thunderbolt package.

Brian

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

For the latest poll -

1, 4, 7, 10,11, 12

Loriots are also useful for departmental use in their later years as they were used to carry Traxcavators to work sites.  Don't forget also that Lows (3 plank wagons) were also used to convey vehicles and were probably the most commonly used vehicle for shifting individually consigned private cars by freight train by the 1960s although whether vans had earlier been preferred I'm not sure.

Additional vehicle - definitely the Rectank (I think a ABS  did a kit years ago)

• Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold

Thanks again Brian.

I'll go for 1-12 inclusive please.

Although I have models of the crocodile, hydra and loriot, more state of the art and finesse new releases wouldn't go amiss, especially in the underframe detail department. We'll have to wait and see what happens regarding the Rapido offering on the TT package. I'd also vote for a Rectank if they were seen with warflats and warwells in traffic.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1