A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

6 hours ago, BMacdermott said:

There is a Loriot coming from Rapido, but we’re not sure yet if it will be available as a single unit or part of a Titfield Thunderbolt package.

From the Rapido Titfield Thunderbolt * page:

All models, including film and non-film versions will be available direct from Rapido Trains UK or through Rapido Trains UK stockists.

* - https://rapidotrains.co.uk/the-titfield-thunderbolt-70th-anniversary-range/

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1-6, 8, 9, 11, 12.

Someone has already suggested the Crocodile L, which would be tempting.  so I will go for the 'Goliath' open scenery truck - see Russell GW Coaches 1 pg 214-5.

Note the Serpent was goods stock, the Python, Scorpion and Hydra were carriage stock, (painted brown) even though the Hydra had goods stock numbers.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Premium

This weeks poll. I try to limit my stock of locos and rolling stock to typical or actual examples of types seen in Cornwall rather than might have or could have. There are exceptions but they are very much in the minority. I feel this helps with the atmosphere of the layout and, importantly, the health of my wallet :)

With that in mind, as a vehicle that I would buy (no matter how interesting the others) my vote goes to number 12 the Loriot. As has been said hopefully we will have one from Rapido, so this vote is a little nudge.

I already have a Mogo and it sees little use. Therefore I would rather spend the money elsewhere rather than an upgraded model of a type that would spend it’s life in the spare stock drawer.

Hope this reply isn’t too long! Once again regards and thanks to Brian and the team.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

36 minutes ago, TrevorP1 said:

This weeks poll. I try to limit my stock of locos and rolling stock to typical or actual examples of types seen in Cornwall rather than might have or could have. There are exceptions but they are very much in the minority. I feel this helps with the atmosphere of the layout and, importantly, the health of my wallet :)

With that in mind, as a vehicle that I would buy (no matter how interesting the others) my vote goes to number 12 the Loriot. As has been said hopefully we will have one from Rapido, so this vote is a little nudge.

I already have a Mogo and it sees little use. Therefore I would rather spend the money elsewhere rather than an upgraded model of a type that would spend it’s life in the spare stock drawer.

Hope this reply isn’t too long! Once again regards and thanks to Brian and the team.

A loriot would be nice, but any earlier diagrams than the one due from Rapido which is a bit late for those of us who model the 20's/early 30's.

• Thanks 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, TrevorP1 said:

the health of my wallet

Since when did that matter?? :D

You didn't take up Model Railways to save money, did you?!? :rofl:

3 hours ago, TrevorP1 said:

I try to limit my stock of locos and rolling stock to typical or actual examples

That is one reason I've chosen to model a preserved line - I can be pretty free with my purchases, knowing that most things are preserved somewhere - with the added bonus of enthusiasts re-creating long lost locos like 2999 Lady of Legend at the GWS (a Saint class). And even rolling stock - the GWS built a broad gauge coach from scratch.

Plus, many preserved lines cover many eras all in one place - from early steam right through diesels and DMUs (even Pacers now!!). In that sense, nothing is out of place...

Yours, Mike.

• Like 4
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
On 23/07/2021 at 14:11, Stubby47 said:

And here is yet another example of how fans of the lesser railways don't really understand the superior GWR - Panniers have wheels, not feet. 

On 23/07/2021 at 14:12, 2ManySpams said:

Might be steadier if they had feet. Perhaps that's the problem?

Ducks do have feet.....

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
On 28/07/2021 at 10:47, BMacdermott said:

GWR 00 Rolling Stock Mini-Poll No.7: Vehicle Carriers & ‘Heavy Duty’

Hello everyone

Welcome to the seventh in our series of GWR 00 Rolling Stock Mini-Polls. I am running them here with my friends, John Lewis, Chris Knowles-Thomas and Ian Taylor on Rob’s behalf.

You will find ‘an indication’ of what we are looking at via the suggested example diagrams in parentheses. We simply cannot list every incarnation! The makers are tending to ‘tool up’ to cover as many variants as are commercially viable. For us, the mantra is: If it looks like a Mogo, it probably is a Mogo, or a member of the same family.

In order to generate some debate – and some ‘learning opportunities’ – please feel free to explain why you have chosen your selections. I copy all ‘Comments Received’ in order of receipt – but with names removed – and post them as a PDF with the Results.

Please note that we do not welcome comments that act as an excuse to start up the old chestnut of ‘kits vs RTR’!

Here’s what to do…

1. You may vote for any or all of the items listed plus suggestions at 13 (if you so wish).

2. They must be items you would realistically wish to buy if made RTR at ‘affordable prices’.

3. Submit your entries on this thread simply as (for example): 2, 4, 7 – with comments and explanations following. My posting which follows should serve as an example.

4. If you vote by PM, please only list your selection of numbers without explanations.

Carriage Trucks

1   Covered Carriage Truck – Python (end doors, vac fitted. Diags.P13, 14, 19, 20)

2   Open Carriage Truck – Scorpion (open body, vac fitted. eg Diag.P15)

3   Open Carriage Truck – Serpent C (open body, some used for containers. eg Diag.G21)

Motor Car Vans

4   Motor Car Van – Asmo (end doors, vac fitted, long 33ft. Diag.G26)

5   Motor Car Van – Damo A (end doors, vac fitted, short, 20ft. Diag.G24)

6   Motor Car Van – Damo B (end doors, vac fitted, medium 30ft. Diag.G25)

7   Motor Car Van – Mogo (end doors, vac fitted, Diags.V23, G31 & G43 Plywood)

'Heavy Duty'

8   Girder Wagon Set – Pollen (Diags.A6, A9, A10 of 1909)

9   Steam Road Roller & Water Cart Wagon (shallow well. Diags.F1-4)

10 Well Wagon – Crocodile (various 1892 onwards)

11 Well Wagon – Hydra D (vac fitted. Diag.G22)

12 Well Wagon – Loriot (various, Loriot L preserved. eg Diags.G1, G13)

13. Your suggestions of any ‘vehicle carrier’ or ‘heavy duty’ wagon not listed.

Please note that suggestions for the Coral A Glass Wagon, Aero Wagon and Gane A were logged in the previous Mini-Poll.

Get your thinking caps on and get voting! I will acknowledge receipt of your vote via the ‘Thx’ tick box.

You have until 17.00 on Saturday 31 July. However, I will stop earlier and advise if votes reach 50. I will present the results during the day on Sunday 1 August. The final Mini-Poll of the series will follow a week later; that will be Departmental Stock.

I look forward to your selections and comments!

Brian

(Note: These are ‘informal Polls for fun’ on Rob’s thread only and neither RMweb nor The 00 Wishlist Poll Team are specifically involved, apart from me, John, Chris and Ian in our ‘personal capacities’.)

Thanks as ever for the poll Brian and team.

Its been an interesting excersise looking up the various options and has been a good excuse for thumbing through the combined edition again.

However, this poll has a bit of a conundrum… as realistically, not many of these vehicle carriers would have made it onto a branch such as Henley on Thames. Which has made the decision making a bit easier.

My choices are therefore:

9: F series steam roller truck F1 or F2. I was particularly interested to see the photos on page 145 of the trucks, complete with Roller and water carrier. All three would make a nice model for Henley….F1 no 40994 “Return to West Ealing”

3: Serpent C to G21 would add variety for any new container.

12: Loriet H would be interesting for agricultural machinery.

5: Damo A G24 just in case the local car dealer would be taking delivery of some vehicles.

Thanks again for the poll.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for yet another thought-provoking poll Brian.

My votes would be 1, 6, 7, 11 & 12.

Although a Crocodile would be an interesting variety I couldn't commit to a definite purchase. On the otherhand a Hydra or Loriot with a load for the local farm or maintenance works, definitely a possibility. 

It would be nice to have a Damo to add some variety to the normal van train, but for a Mogo would be a good opportunity for a new underframe.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Neal Ball said:

Its been an interesting excersise looking up the various options and has been a good excuse for thumbing through the combined edition again.

Hello Neal

We could have supplied a 'mini-Guide' along the lines of what we did with the 'main' Wishlist Poll, but felt that - for this audience -  it was more productive for you to 'get your thinking caps on'. That seems to be working to good advantage.:)

Brian

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
47 minutes ago, DRoe96 said:

It would be nice to have a Damo to add some variety to the normal van train, but for a Mogo would be a good opportunity for a new underframe.

Hello DRoe96

According to Pat Hammond's Ramsay Catalogue, the Mogo had a new chassis in 2001 but still used the 1991 Mainline body. I'm no expert, but the underframe looks fine to me, whereas the body is in need of improvement (and variations).

Brian

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, BMacdermott said:

Hello DRoe96

According to Pat Hammond's Ramsay Catalogue, the Mogo had a new chassis in 2001 but still used the 1991 Mainline body. I'm no expert, but the underframe looks fine to me, whereas the body is in need of improvement (and variations).

Brian

The problem with both the Dapol and Bachmann van underframes is that they are made with full-width headstocks to suit BR vans that lack corner plates/strapping below body level. GWR vans that do possess this feature therefore have to be made over-wide to fit the chassis.

This is nothing new, it's been going on since the days of Hornby Dublo, and has been perpetuated by everybody else since. What's needed is a different r-t-r underframe that will fit beneath new scale-width GWR bodies. 

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

I've a couple of Ratio ones, Trevor. They just run as fitted vans with all the others.

Which they did in the real world of course in their later years.

20 minutes ago, BMacdermott said:

Hello everyone

In respect of the underframe discussions above, can anyone say if the new Dapol/Rails Iron Mink has the 'correct' dimensions?

Brian

The chap who did the research for it is, I know from other matters, a pretty pedantic sort when it comes to checking sources and cross checking information so I suspect that he did but I'll ask him if you want to be certain.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1