A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold
41 minutes ago, BMacdermott said:

Thanks Mike

I won't actually be buying the Mink so my query was more in response to John's comment of makers using 'generic' underframes and whether Rails have 'done it properly'.

Brian

I do know that it was all done from scratch Brian with no use of any previous r-t-r model components.  The 3-D print includes the underframe and brakegear which meant that only one combination of the variants of brakegear, axleboxes, springs, and body, was eventually chosen out of at least 8 known to have existed.

Edited by The Stationmaster
correct typo
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

Did people in GWR HQ have a competition to find the most stupid name for a Van or Wagon?

WTF was a Hydra? image.png.a2c1bd0016dc2f5e894d48b642bd748d.png

Dear Mr Duck,

Just to edjumacate you in all fings GW, a Hydra is a well wagon.

https://didcotrailwaycentre.org.uk/article.php/224/no-42193-hydra-d-well-wagon

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

I need to get my mind around Hydra liveries, being NPCCS but (strangely) carrying goods series numbers. The G22 build window indicates they would have been in crimson lake when built, assuming they were classified as passenger vehicles at that time.

• Informative/Useful 1

5 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

The problem with both the Dapol and Bachmann van underframes is that they are made with full-width headstocks to suit BR vans that lack corner plates/strapping below body level. GWR vans that do possess this feature therefore have to be made over-wide to fit the chassis.

This is nothing new, it's been going on since the days of Hornby Dublo, and has been perpetuated by everybody else since. What's needed is a different r-t-r underframe that will fit beneath new scale-width GWR bodies. 

John

Thanks John, as Brian pointed out I'd actually got my bodies and underframe confused for a moment. But if both are wrong it obviously furthers the cause for an all GWR van range!

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
On 25/07/2021 at 13:34, gwrrob said:

A lot of talk here and elsewhere on the cost of the new Rail's iron mink. Here we see a couple of Parkside/Peco Z4 gunpowder vans, currently on loan from @46444 of this parish. This is the model Rapido are near to releasing I believe. Also in these photos is my latest cheap and cheerful build and this is the Cambrian kit for the LMS D1666,  of which I'm finishing it in bauxite and will be rated 13T. @BenL provided me with a couple of photos of these uprated during the war. 

DSCN7993.JPG.49ff591e1f7fa7952f34dda421299279.JPG

I like the finish on the GPVs. My only criticism would be the buffer shanks, they should be painted grey like the rest of the wagon. The self contained buffers weren't hydraulic.

Edited by 57xx
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, BMacdermott said:

Hello Neal

We could have supplied a 'mini-Guide' along the lines of what we did with the 'main' Wishlist Poll, but felt that - for this audience -  it was more productive for you to 'get your thinking caps on'. That seems to be working to good advantage.:)

Brian

I think it’s better without the guide…. Every week, the GWR wagon bible comes off its shelf and I get lost in all the possible wagons.

My particular bible was published in I think 2013 as a combined book. I still have the original books from the late 70’s; bought in a remaindered shop! Who would have thought its successor would be so thumbed, so many years later.

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Miss Prism said:

I need to get my mind around Hydra liveries, being NPCCS but (strangely) carrying goods series numbers. The G22 build window indicates they would have been in crimson lake when built, assuming they were classified as passenger vehicles at that time.

Really good to hear from you Miis P. Sharing your wealth of knowledge with us again, looks like you're on the way to a fine recovery.............Best Wishes from Oz.

Rgds.........Mike:good:

• Agree 4

• RMweb Gold

Final Call  for Votes - GWR 00 Rolling Stock Mini-Poll No.7: Vehicle Carriers & ‘Heavy Duty’

Hello everyone

A reminder that  your 'Polling Station' closes at 1700 today with Results expected tomorrow.

If  you haven't already voted, here’s what to do…

1. You may vote for any or all of the items listed plus suggestions at 13 (if you so wish).

2. They must be items you would realistically wish to buy if made RTR at ‘affordable prices’.

3. Submit your entries on this thread simply as (for example): 2, 4, 7 – with comments and explanations following. 

4. If you vote by PM, please only list your selection of numbers without explanations.

Carriage Trucks

1   Covered Carriage Truck – Python (end doors, vac fitted. Diags.P13, 14, 19, 20)

2   Open Carriage Truck – Scorpion (open body, vac fitted. eg Diag.P15)

3   Open Carriage Truck – Serpent C (open body, some used for containers. eg Diag.G21)

Motor Car Vans

4   Motor Car Van – Asmo (end doors, vac fitted, long 33ft. Diag.G26)

5   Motor Car Van – Damo A (end doors, vac fitted, short, 20ft. Diag.G24)

6   Motor Car Van – Damo B (end doors, vac fitted, medium 30ft. Diag.G25)

7   Motor Car Van – Mogo (end doors, vac fitted, Diags.V23, G31 & G43 Plywood)

Heavy Duty

8   Girder Wagon Set – Pollen (Diags.A6, A9, A10 of 1909)

9   Steam Road Roller & Water Cart Wagon (shallow well. Diags.F1-4)

10 Well Wagon – Crocodile (various 1892 onwards)

11 Well Wagon – Hydra D (vac fitted. Diag.G22)

12 Well Wagon – Loriot (various, Loriot L preserved. eg Diags.G1, G13)

13. Your suggestions of any ‘vehicle carrier’ or ‘heavy duty’ wagon not listed.

Please note that suggestions for the Coral A Glass Wagon, Aero Wagon and Gane A were logged in the previous Mini-Poll.

Get your thinking caps on and get voting! I will acknowledge receipt of your vote via the ‘Thx’ tick box.

Brian

(Note: These are ‘informal Polls for fun’ on Rob’s thread only and neither RMweb nor The 00 Wishlist Poll Team are specifically involved, apart from me, John, Chris and Ian in our ‘personal capacities’.)

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

For me I’d like to see

1. Python - a useful van . Monty had one.

7.  V23 etc .As has been said, an accurate Mogo

9.  F1-4.  A suitable transport for steam ploughing engines

just made it before the rugby - I mean deadline.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

I know I'm only an ignorant Southern cove, but I am confused. Miss Prism, whose recent return from medical supervision is a cause for rejoicing, has indicated that a Hydra was NPCCS, yet it seems to have been an open well-wagon? Clearly Swindon did things differently? Have I missed some point by quite some margin? 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

has indicated that a Hydra was NPCCS, yet it seems to have been an open well-wagon? 

It was passenger rated Ian and had vacuum brakes. Painted brown. With BR they were redesignated as the Lowmac.

https://didcotrailwaycentre.org.uk/article.php/224/no-42193-hydra-d-well-wagon

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, gwrrob said:

It never crossed my mind  when I posted these photos this morning that the leading wagon was weathered by Mick @Mick Bonwick and I've just heard he's passed away. Words escape me at the moment.:heart_mini:

This is one of those WTF moments....

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, gwrrob said:

It never crossed my mind  when I posted these photos this morning that the leading wagon was weathered by Mick @Mick Bonwick and I've just heard he's passed away. Words escape me at the moment.:heart_mini:

That's shocking news Rob. Thanks for letting us know, though.

• Friendly/supportive 3

7 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

That's shocking news Rob. Thanks for letting us know, though.

I was sorry to hear that Mick has passed away and send my condolences to his family and friends. Although I never met him , I followed his teachings and learned a lot from him . An inspiration .

Ken 

• Friendly/supportive 3