A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

Results – GWR 00 Rolling Stock Mini-Poll No.7: Vehicle Carriers & ‘Heavy Duty’

Hello everyone

A slightly lower than usual turnout but many thanks to the 18 voters who took part. The number of votes to each item is shown in the left hand column and Comments Received are appended on a PDF as usual.

Please note that the results reflect the views of those who voted here and may not necessarily reflect those of the wider modelling community.

High Polling

13        Well Wagon – Loriot (various, Loriot L preserved. eg Diags.G1, G13)

12        Well Wagon – Hydra D (vac fitted. Diag.G22)

10        Covered Carriage Truck – Python (end doors, vac fitted. Diags.P13, 14, 19, 20)

10        Motor Car Van – Mogo (end doors, vac fitted, Diags.V23, G31 & G43 Plywood)

Middle Polling

9          Well Wagon – Crocodile (various 1892 onwards)

8          Steam Road Roller & Water Cart Wagon (shallow well. Diags.F1-4)

8          Motor Car Van – Damo A (end doors, vac fitted, short, 20ft. Diag.G24)

7          Motor Car Van – Damo B (end doors, vac fitted, medium 30ft. Diag.G25)

Low Polling

6          Motor Car Van – Asmo (end doors, vac fitted, long 33ft. Diag.G26)

6          Girder Wagon Set – Pollen (Diags.A6, A9, A10 of 1909)

6          Open Carriage Truck – Serpent C (open body, some used for containers. eg Diag.G21)

5          Open Carriage Truck – Scorpion (open body, vac fitted. eg Diag.P15)

Your suggestions of any ‘vehicle carrier’ or ‘heavy duty’ wagon not listed.

3          Rectank

1          Crocodile L 24-wheel Trolley Wagon Set

1          Crocodile C10 4-wheel 

1          Goliath Open Scenery Truck – see Russell GW Coaches 1, pp214-5.

1          Loriot suitable for 1920s and early 1930s.

We will be back on Wednesday 4 August with the final planned Mini-Poll: Departmental Stock.

Brian

(Note: These are ‘informal Polls for fun’ on Rob’s thread only and neither RMweb nor The 00 Wishlist Poll Team are specifically involved, apart from me, John, Chris and Ian in our ‘personal capacities’.)

GWR Mini-Poll No.7 Vehicle Carriers and Heavy Duty Comments Received.pdf

• Like 2
  • Thanks 7

• RMweb Gold

With Brian posting the latest results and following our chat it might be a good time to ask , with a rather low turnout recently, of the value of continuing with his final four or five polls. These would feature specific coaching stock. He would want value given to these to give a better representation and that means 20+ voters.

Any thoughts please and yes, one will include toplights.;)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Premium
35 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

With Brian posting the latest results and following our chat it might be a good time to ask , with a rather low turnout recently, of the value of continuing with his final four or five polls. These would feature specific coaching stock. He would want value given to these to give a better representation and that means 20+ voters.

Any thoughts please and yes, one will include toplights.;)

I can only speak for myself but it is interesting to see how others see things. There are obviously different requirements for those like me who (predictably?) are interested mainly in the ‘50s/early’60s and those who model say, the 1930s. 

More so I would hope that some of the more adventurous manufacturers say,  Accurascale or retailers eg KMRC take a look in. To me there are several items that offer scope for multiple repeat purchases - eg cattle, milk, china clay.

I’m surprised that relatively few have taken the opportunity to vote - it takes seconds! Keep going please  Brian and thank you, we never know who’s watching! 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, TrevorP1 said:

I’m surprised that relatively few have taken the opportunity to vote - it takes seconds! Keep going please  Brian and thank you, we never know who’s watching! 

I have not voted on here or Peterborough North. I am under the impression that, just like the full-width poll Brian kindly fronts for the Poll Team, votes are for vehicles you would seriously consider buying, thus giving a steer to manufacturers. Accordingly, I have no wish to distort apparent demand, even if there were the odd vehicle I might like. 

Polls of this sort I see as about quality, meaningful votes, not quantity of votes. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, TrevorP1 said:

I have only voted for a few, even though I would probably not buy them as they are of no relevance to my layout. However I see the pleas of the enthusiasts of that 'other railway' so superbly modelled by Monsewer Sweet, that attempted to equal the SR(BR) WORML, and realise there are many who do not follow ANTB, possibly because they get offended by Panniers (silly people of course). Thus I make the arrogant assumption that they too may like and buy some of the items if they were available.

Even I would stretch to having a Hydra turn up at Seaton Junction, just because I can:scared:

I feel sure if Brian opened these Polls on a General Thread there would be many, many more votes. I enjoy the detailed info that comes from friends on here, I think Brian enjoys doing this sort of thing and so I think it is worth it just for the banter and chat.

All the best,

The Naughty Dick Duck

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Miss Prism said:

True, but I suspect the positioning would probably not be significantly different.

Thanks Miss P and others commenting.

We wouldn't want to run on a 'general thread' as it would - as noted by Ian - lose the 'quality' aspect of localised comment and debate.

Rob and I wanted to just check that we weren't 'losing steam' with the polls. If we drop much below 20 voters in each, it becomes less differentiated.

Brian

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, BMacdermott said:

Thanks Miss P and others commenting.

We wouldn't want to run on a 'general thread' as it would - as noted by Ian - lose the 'quality' aspect of localised comment and debate.

Rob and I wanted to just check that we weren't 'losing steam' with the polls. If we drop much below 20 voters in each, it becomes less differentiated.

Brian

Vote early, vote often.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold

I’ve enjoyed refreshing my memory and looking up details of the candidates in these mini polls - I ought to have bought all the right books!

It may not influence the major manufactures but it might tempt a 3D print entrepreneur to try the market.

More please, Brian !

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I didn't vote in the last poll as I don't know enough about GW wagons, though I did make a start by downloading codenames, and am perhaps unlikely to buy any for an ECML layout.  However, I have just finished reading Michael Harris's book on GW coaches so will at least be able to recognise the nominations in the next poll!

The polls and discussion do provide a source of entertainment and help us improve our knowledge, if not our jokes, so please continue them.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, TrevorP1 said:

I can only speak for myself but it is interesting to see how others see things. There are obviously different requirements for those like me who (predictably?) are interested mainly in the ‘50s/early’60s and those who model say, the 1930s. 

More so I would hope that some of the more adventurous manufacturers say,  Accurascale or retailers eg KMRC take a look in. To me there are several items that offer scope for multiple repeat purchases - eg cattle, milk, china clay.

I think that makes a very cogent point.  My interest is basically late 1950s/early  '60s and I only vote for what I would buy.  So some items are automatically ruled out because they didn't last that long.  But on the other hand if somebody models, say, the 1920s the same will apply but the other way round thus later vehicles which interest me won't interest them.  So there can be splits which affect the voting simply because we follow the rules about voting only for what we would buy (and it's a good rule in my opiion).

But at the same time small samples often do influence manufacturers and some from this poll undoubtedly one day will result in something appearing even if they didn't poll highly because the na manufacturer will consider wider marketing possibilities.  So in my view even if the numbers this time round are, alas, disappointing the poll, I believe, remains valid.  Bring on the departmentals where if the right mix is there although there could again be an 'era' split the interest ought to be high.

However I may earn a few brickbats by saying I think polling Toplights (where I won't vote for obvious reasons) can be on a hiding to nothing as the last poll run by Neal Ball on his Henley thread very clearly showed.  What A's idea of a Toplight is can be very different from B's who in turn thinks differently from C.  The sheer complexity of what is involved, plus changes made over the years to the longer lived vehicles,  put off one manufacturer who looked very seriously at doing  some r-t-r Toplights  - the potential market among GWR modellers was so split it was well nigh impossible to read a commercially meaningful result (although not quite the same with kits of course so perhaps some validity is there?)

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Hello Mike

I thought long and hard about the Toplight inclusion, but it would probably draw negative comments if they were excluded from any GWR coaching stock evaluation. Below is how the stock fared in the polls. 

2013: 29th

2014: 14th 

2015: 17th

2016: 12th

2017: Poll didn't run

2018: 9th

2019: 13th

Don't worry Mike...as Kenny Everett used to say: It will all be done in the best possible taste! :)

Brian

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

I think that makes a very cogent point.  My interest is basically late 1950s/early  '60s and I only vote for what I would buy.  So some items are automatically ruled out because they didn't last that long.  But on the other hand if somebody models, say, the 1920s the same will apply but the other way round thus later vehicles which interest me won't interest them.  So there can be splits which affect the voting simply because we follow the rules about voting only for what we would buy (and it's a good rule in my opiion).

But at the same time small samples often do influence manufacturers and some from this poll undoubtedly one day will result in something appearing even if they didn't poll highly because the na manufacturer will consider wider marketing possibilities.  So in my view even if the numbers this time round are, alas, disappointing the poll, I believe, remains valid.  Bring on the departmentals where if the right mix is there although there could again be an 'era' split the interest ought to be high.

However I may earn a few brickbats by saying I think polling Toplights (where I won't vote for obvious reasons) can be on a hiding to nothing as the last poll run by Neal Ball on his Henley thread very clearly showed.  What A's idea of a Toplight is can be very different from B's who in turn thinks differently from C.  The sheer complexity of what is involved, plus changes made over the years to the longer lived vehicles,  put off one manufacturer who looked very seriously at doing  some r-t-r Toplights  - the potential market among GWR modellers was so split it was well nigh impossible to read a commercially meaningful result (although not quite the same with kits of course so perhaps some validity is there?)

Good point there Mike. I know some are quite capable of, scratching, shoving sides on stuff (and there are many available e.g. Comet and Worsley Works is it?) and or building full kits and finishing them beautifully (or not), however the commercial and affordable Kit Builders out there are few and far between now as far as I can see. I can hardly be arsed to make my own these days.....but that's because I am a lazy sod, no other excuses. Also I have never been able to paint any other than plain maroon. I also know not enough to guarantee I'd get a particular coach correct anyway.

P

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

Hello everyone

To assist with some future Rolling Stock Mini-Polls here - if there is support for them to run - it would be helpful to have an idea of your modelling time periods.

There are five outline time periods below; please select as many as apply to you and vote in the usual way (simply: 2, 3 etc).

If, for example, you model 1920 to 1935, simply vote 2 as being the closest approximation.

1 1900-1922

2 1923-1938

3 1939-1945

4 1946-1955

5 1956 to early 1960s

You have until 1700 on Saturday 8 August. You can vote by PM direct to me if you wish.

Brian (with Rob's kind approval)

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, BMacdermott said:

Hello everyone

To assist with some future Rolling Stock Mini-Polls here - if there is support for them to run - it would be helpful to have an idea of your modelling time periods.

There are five outline time periods below; please select as many as apply to you and vote in the usual way (simply: 2, 3 etc).

If, for example, you model 1920 to 1935, simply vote 2 as being the closest approximation.

1 1900-1922

2 1923-1938

3 1939-1945

4 1946-1955

5 1956 to early 1960s

You have until 1700 on Saturday 8 August. You can vote by PM direct to me if you wish.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
59 minutes ago, BMacdermott said:

Hello everyone

1 1900-1922

2 1923-1938

3 1939-1945

4 1946-1955

5 1956 to early 1960s

Era 2 for my 1930's layout. Thanks @BMacdermottand @gwrrob

• RMweb Premium

It's interesting to see the range of comments about the polls and also the potential shape of future polls.

It was also interesting to see comments about Toplight from Mike aka @The Stationmaster, whilst I remain keen on seeing an RTR range, they remain a potential minefield, so I will be interested to see how they fare in a mini-poll.

There are so many other carriages to chose from.... Bachmann surely must be about to announce something to replace the old sunshine carriages which have been out of the catalogue for a few years now.

Enjoy the rest of the weekend and I look forward to the next mini-poll.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, BMacdermott said:

Hello everyone

1 1900-1922

2 1923-1938

3 1939-1945

4 1946-1955

5 1956 to early 1960s

5, Thanks for running these Brian, please do continue. I think they will be a great opportunity for discussion and hopefully highlight some market gaps.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Brian. 

Not confined to the Western Region but eras 4 &5. 

Rob. 

• Thanks 1