A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

However I may earn a few brickbats by saying I think polling Toplights (where I won't vote for obvious reasons) can be on a hiding to nothing as the last poll run by Neal Ball on his Henley thread very clearly showed.  What A's idea of a Toplight is can be very different from B's who in turn thinks differently from C.  The sheer complexity of what is involved, plus changes made over the years to the longer lived vehicles,  put off one manufacturer who looked very seriously at doing  some r-t-r Toplights  - the potential market among GWR modellers was so split it was well nigh impossible to read a commercially meaningful result

All I can say to that is topfeeds. Since when have detail changes stopped manufacturers from producing models of locos in a certain condition? 1000's of pannier owners up and down the country either put up with the anachronism that Bachmann chose to put on alongside 1930's liveries or dive in and cut the things off.

I would see any Toplight introduced as being a bit like the two recent "generic" ranges, they might not please everyone for exact details of a specific coach (apart from hopefully in this case certain diagrams of a certain period are accurately modelled) but they will still sell like hotcakes, by pure virtue of being the only game in town. Anyone else too fussy can either build kits, scratchbuild or go without. As long as the manufacturer made a considered choice over which diag to build, they would have something people will buy. Slaters Toplight kits are only of a few certain diagrams, it doesn't stop people wanting them or building them.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Hello everyone

Not wishing to 'dampen freedom of speech' but - as per our request to hold fire on comments on the TPO Poll until that was running -  can we request that you wait until you see what we present to you soon?

I'm sticking my neck out here a little, but I'm sure it will be worth the wait!

I can then 'capture' all the relevant and important comments in the usual Comments Received manner.

Brian (on behalf of John, Chris and Ian)

• Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, BMacdermott said:

Hello everyone

To assist with some future Rolling Stock Mini-Polls here - if there is support for them to run - it would be helpful to have an idea of your modelling time periods.

There are five outline time periods below; please select as many as apply to you and vote in the usual way (simply: 2, 3 etc).

If, for example, you model 1920 to 1935, simply vote 2 as being the closest approximation.

1 1900-1922

2 1923-1938

3 1939-1945

4 1946-1955

5 1956 to early 1960s

You have until 1700 on Saturday 8 August. You can vote by PM direct to me if you wish.

Brian (with Rob's kind approval)

Generally 5 and quite often 4

Lack of knowledge of operating periods has been the main reason for my not

generally having voted, so far.

TONY

TONY

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, BMacdermott said:

Hello everyone

To assist with some future Rolling Stock Mini-Polls here - if there is support for them to run - it would be helpful to have an idea of your modelling time periods.

There are five outline time periods below; please select as many as apply to you and vote in the usual way (simply: 2, 3 etc).

If, for example, you model 1920 to 1935, simply vote 2 as being the closest approximation.

1 1900-1922

2 1923-1938

3 1939-1945

4 1946-1955

5 1956 to early 1960s

You have until 1700 on Saturday 8 August. You can vote by PM direct to me if you wish.

Brian (with Rob's kind approval)

(Except when rule 1 applies ;))

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi Brian

Era 3. 1939-1945.        Plus first two years of Era 4.  (1947-8)

Please do continue with the mini-polls, I find them to be really interesting. I may be taking the instruction to “only vote if one will definitely purchase “ too literally…..hence my no show on the last two!

Thanks again for all the hard work

Best wishes

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, 57xx said:

All I can say to that is topfeeds. Since when have detail changes stopped manufacturers from producing models of locos in a certain condition? 1000's of pannier owners up and down the country either put up with the anachronism that Bachmann chose to put on alongside 1930's liveries or dive in and cut the things off.

I would see any Toplight introduced as being a bit like the two recent "generic" ranges, they might not please everyone for exact details of a specific coach (apart from hopefully in this case certain diagrams of a certain period are accurately modelled) but they will still sell like hotcakes, by pure virtue of being the only game in town. Anyone else too fussy can either build kits, scratchbuild or go without. As long as the manufacturer made a considered choice over which diag to build, they would have something people will buy. Slaters Toplight kits are only of a few certain diagrams, it doesn't stop people wanting them or building them.

I couldn't agree more.  This is the most sensible thing I've read about this sometimes heated topic for ages.  What percentage of modellers have refused to buy a Mainline /Bachmann pannier with topfeed because they model the pre-war period?  The same would apply to toplights. It would be nice for the more pernickety to have a model of coach no. xxxx as it was in April 1937 or whatever, but many of us don't give a flying whatsit, and are more interested in the overall impression - the flavour and atmosphere of our chosen era.  My message to the trade would be, make them.  Then lots of people would instruct and entertain us on this forum for years to come, explaining how they'd carved them about to fit their specific requirements.

• Like 7
  • Agree 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

Thank you Brian

I model:

Period 2 as imagined

Period 4 as remembered, before the decline!

- but I grew up in Southern Electric land so remember only Hawksworths on excursions!

• Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, gwrrob said:

Can I change the subject to post this photo after a very enjoyable afternoon spent with @Graham_Muz

DSCN8034.JPG.0e11f6a316bfa4317d1c32a7c19f00d1.JPG

Thanks from me to Robin for a very enjoyable afternoon and a chance to give a few things a run. 

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2