A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

I'm not so sure about that Rob.  I would have thought several of the big pre-group tank engine designs taken into the LNER were something of an open goal for a left field motive power choice so not quite the same thing as going for coaches where development costs are also high but retail prices are lower than for locos so the overall margin is much tighter.  

Hello Rob and Mike

Locos always seem to take 'centre stage' - but let's hope that the Hornby Coronation Scot set of vehicles will turn the tide somewhat for passenger stock.

There have been 13 locos announced since publication of the results of the 00 Wishlist Poll 2019 but - in PCCS - just the Mk1 RB and the Coronation Scot stock. Noted that the latter is actually six vehicles, though.

The A5 has been a High Poller since 2013, and was the 'most wanted' passenger tank loco in one of the Peterborough North Mini-Polls (albeit with just nine voters!)

Brian

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold

Addendum to above:

I forgot the Hornby SR Maunsell RCO.

The reason for that omission is that I haven't yet 'marked it off' the 2019 results as it should really be paired with a Diag.2659 Kitchen Buffet Car! And that has not been announced.

It probably won't stop people buying the RCO and running it with the existing RF though.

Brian

• Round of applause 1

2 hours ago, gwrrob said:

If Sonic Models can announce a 4mm model of the Robinson LNER A5, then we have every chance. 

As noted by Stationmaster, locos are a lot more popular than rolling stock and (despite the moaning on RMweb) people are willing to be a lot more flexible on pricing for locos than rolling stock.

Somewhere recently (I think in the Bachmann Class 47 thread) a comment was made along the lines of the high prices on the Class 47 were okay given what was being promised, but the Bachmann Mk2f's were still too expensive because they were a coach.

Sonic is also in a bit of a different circumstance than all the others - given that they actually own the factory (being Chinese) their cost structure is very different so they can take the risk on something the more usual manufacturers may be avoiding, and early comments on the LNER A5 thread are many of the orders are being based on the lower pricing compared to other recently announced items.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 6

• RMweb Premium

Morning @BMacdermott, the poll team, plus of course Rob @gwrrob for encouraging the polls on ANTB and everyone following this Toplight poll.

Following the announcement of the Poll, late Tuesday afternoon, there have been 32 votes for option 1 and although I scanned the pages, I didn’t see any Option 2. (No thanks).

Is this a first for so many votes cast so quickly?  It’s certainly encouraging to see so many votes cast in such a short space of time.

Thanks again.

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, BMacdermott said:

Hello Neal

There are 34 'in favour' votes at present (the additional to your count are Mini-Poll Team votes direct to me).

Brian

Sounds encouraging Brian thank you.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, gwrrob said:

Star class 4012 Knight of the thistle . A straight tank small prairie 4547 sits in the sunshine awaiting being attached to the branch B set.

Lovely photo Robin.  Love the 'gleam of sunshine through the haze' effect.  Nice locos too.

• Friendly/supportive 1

Having been in remotest Yorkshire with no mobile signal or WiFi for a couple of days, I was so pleased to see Brian's well thought out posting; it has to be Option 1 for me. If a selection of numbering was produced, I'd still buy them all.

Martin

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold

Option 1 for me.

I had decided that I wouldn't vote for the 70" dur to model curve radii.

How far round the uk diid they get - Liverpool seems to be the furthest so far?

Thanks for all the polls - brilliant idea.

Basil

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold

Hello everyone

Many thanks to all who have voted so far in the Toplights Mini-Poll - the more the better, of course! I will post a reminder but don't forget that the 'Polling Station' closes at 1700 Saturday 14 August.

I thought you might like an up-date on future Mini-Polls. Please bear in mind titles and running order might change due to matters arising.

No.10: Gangwayed Stock (exc Sleepers & Catering)

This will revert to the usual 'simple list style' following the very 'detailed approach' of the current Mini-Poll.

No.11: Dining Cars

This will give a small range of cars - with 'detailed data' - from which to choose. The system seemed to work well with the TPO and Toplights, so we are using that again.

No.12: Slips & Sleepers

Back to the usual 'simple list style'.

No.13: Non-gangwayed Stock

Another where we will give you a range of vehicles - with 'detailed data' - from which to choose.

No.14: Autocoaches

We have yet to start the draft yet but it might be another where we give you a range of types with 'detailed data'.

We like to leave you to do your own research as far as possible, but - with some of the above - we want to make sure we are all 'singing from the same sheet'. This  won't preclude you coming up with suggestions as usual giving your own reasons.

Brian (on behalf of John, Chris & Ian)

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, BMS said:

Option 1 for me.

I had decided that I wouldn't vote for the 70" dur to model curve radii.

How far round the uk diid they get - Liverpool seems to be the furthest so far?

Thanks for all the polls - brilliant idea.

Basil

It's a bit difficult to answer unless somebody can advise me what their width was.  If they were only 9 feet wide their route availability over other Companes lines was quite good (but.of course,  it depends on how you define 'good') and they could get to Manchester (including Central) via either the ex GC line or via Crewe over the LMS route to London Road. Manchester Exchange via Crewe and Warrington, Carlisle and  Glasgow Central via the WCML, Edinburgh Princes street via Crewe and the WCML, Liverpool via Crewe and Halton Jcn, Blackpool (including Talbot Road, Bristol - Birmingham and Bradford via the former MR Route, Stoke via Norton Jcn or Colwich, all former L&SWR main routes, all former LB&SCR main routes some former SE&CR main routes.

A further decider would have been if the vehicle acquired the Yellow Disc route availability marker when it was introduced in December 1937 as it would have given them much greater route availability over LNER routes plus additional LMS routes.   However if they were more than 9 feet wide then there would have been considerable restrictions on their availability over 'foreign' lines. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

It's a bit difficult to answer unless somebody can advise me what their width was.  If they were only 9 feet wide their route availability over other Companes lines was quite good (but.of course,  it depends on how you define 'good') and they could get to Manchester (including Central) via either the ex GC line or via Crewe over the LMS route to London Road. Manchester Exchange via Crewe and Warrington, Carlisle and  Glasgow Central via the WCML, Edinburgh Princes street via Crewe and the WCML, Liverpool via Crewe and Halton Jcn, Blackpool (including Talbot Road, Bristol - Birmingham and Bradford via the former MR Route, Stoke via Norton Jcn or Colwich, all former L&SWR main routes, all former LB&SCR main routes some former SE&CR main routes.

A further decider would have been if the vehicle acquired the Yellow Disc route availability marker when it was introduced in December 1937 as it would have given them much greater route availability over LNER routes plus additional LMS routes.   However if they were more than 9 feet wide then there would have been considerable restrictions on their availability over 'foreign' lines. 

Hello Mike

Some were 69ft 11.3/4in x 8ft 11.1/4in.

Brian

• RMweb Premium

Must be identity time because:

Is this a Hawksworth all 3rd? It is an old Comet Build that was in GWR Livery and well built but badly painted , that I found in a box of so called junk I bought on Ebay. The other stuff really was junk but I shall finish prepping this and paint it maroon with appropriate finish. I have an all 3rd built for Geoff Brewin (RIP), so I have a visual aid to work from. Roof Gutter to start with as this is flush sided at the moment.

20210813_200621.jpg.09e9ac7af54625f3017c9d099004d97b.jpg

585748313_HawksworthAll3rdb.jpg.0c20ef550936131c3939006fb77c9dbc.jpg

I will gladly accept any advice on further details too. The Chassis/UF is sound and the Bogies are very tidy and run freely. The interior is basic Comet bits but I will tart that up; might even fit some passengers!

Thanks for your time all and prayers for my old City tonight. The shootings took place exactly where the old SR Viaduct used to cross over the main road (below the Close where it took place, to arrive at Ford Station, heading for St. Budeaux.

Phil

• Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, gwrrob said:

Seen on another thread and another photo of Kingsbridge goods yard with some wagons that need identifying by the likes of @Clive Mortimore or @Dunsignalling

1511203277_4587atKingsbridge(2).jpg.2365012ab34b417b546019d5f3ac1289.jpg

Hi Rob, as requested, a quick bit of photo interpretation.

Left to Right:

The unfitted Mink, not having received vacuum braking under BR, is probably a 9' wheelbase example to diagram V33. I currently have one on the go using one of the Railway Modeller freebee Ratio bodies, Cambrian underframes and 2-shoe Morton brake from ABS components. As yet it has escaped the camera's gaze.

The open is a bit indistinct, but looks like an 8-plank side and end-door to the RCH 1923 pattern. Remnants of a marking on the side door suggest it might formerly have also had bottom doors that have been sealed up. The predominantly brown colouring of the ironwork will be rust rather than paint! Arithmetical probability is ex-PO, but the LNER and SR also had some like it.  

The far van is of LMS design, again not yet having been given AVB by BR. Probably lateish (WW2 construction is a decent bet) but, unfortunately not enough of it is visible (for me at least) to establish an exact diagram.

Hope that helps

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

Here's something to watch for them as likes Spam ( there my be one or two ? )

The way in which this chap synchronises actual sounds to the models is something else.

G

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Dunsignalling said:

Hi Rob, as requested, a quick bit of photo interpretation.

Left to Right:

The unfitted Mink, not having received vacuum braking under BR, is probably a 9' wheelbase example to diagram V33. I currently have one on the go using one of the Railway Modeller freebee Ratio bodies, Cambrian underframes and 2-shoe Morton brake from ABS components. As yet it has escaped the camera's gaze.

The open is a bit indistinct, but looks like an 8-plank side and end-door to the RCH 1923 pattern. Remnants of a marking on the side door suggest it might formerly have also had bottom doors that have been sealed up. The predominantly brown colouring of the ironwork will be rust rather than paint! Arithmetical probability is ex-PO, but the LNER and SR also had some like it.  

The far van is of LMS design, again not yet having been given AVB by BR. Probably lateish (WW2 construction is a decent bet) but, unfortunately not enough of it is visible (for me at least) to establish an exact diagram.

Hope that helps

John

All I can add to John's post is the LMS van, plywood body, tin ends and no diagonal bracing suggest it is a diagram D2097.

• Thanks 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1