A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

Now then Mr CK, I shall tell on you.....and we know that juicy Lucy likes dressing up in historic costumes as well....

However she is a lot shorter than CK so he might, hmm, 'overlook' her.

Talking of WDs many years ago up at my normal place of visitation on the ECMl you could easily tell the identities of two approaching classes before you could see them.  A4s going like the clappers had an unmistakeable exhaust note while WDs made a clanking sound all of their very own (quite unlike the clonking sound made by V2 valvegear).

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

However she is a lot shorter than CK so he might, hmm, 'overlook' her.

Talking of WDs many years ago up at my normal place of visitation on the ECMl you could easily tell the identities of two approaching classes before you could see them.  A4s going like the clappers had an unmistakeable exhaust note while WDs made a clanking sound all of their very own (quite unlike the clonking sound made by V2 valvegear).

Agreed Mike. When my hearing was still good and when we had fairly regular steam through 36E in recent years, I could actually feel the air pulse of an A4 approaching and going hell for leather towards Gamston Bank through the Station 

It was weird as it was a good half mile away usually but it only happened when the loco was working hard. The whistle, of course. Was haunting if it was kept on through the Station as it passed at about 65/70. Never saw that in the real old days sadly. 

Did see a few Kings  rocking and rolling on the curve approaching Laira from the East when the Driver was still going for it before Mutley Tunnel. Remember that like it was last week.

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, BMacdermott said:

Hello again

Also there in 1956 were:

• Diag.H8 W9511W (12-wheels)
  • Diag.H24 W9561W
  • Diag.H25 W9562W

I wonder if they were there for painting in Chocolate & Cream. The year is right for many receiving that paint scheme. 

If so, why not at Swindon? Bit of a mystery!

Brian

Hello everyone

Colleague John Lewis tells me these specific vehicles didn't receive BR Chocolate & Cream.

Brian

• Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, M.I.B said:

Rob

I put brass sides onto a Mainline 57' coach.  If you aren't super fussy about chassis and running gear, mainline did a 57' in GWR and BR(W) livery and also one in LMS which will take the sides.    Roof will need work  in terms of ribs and vents adding.  Will try and dig out a photo.

It was one that worked out well and stuck properly.       The ones I did with Araldite went quite Pete Tong.  Advise you use Evostick to join sides to RTR.

Agreed, Evostick, or the same type under another name. Same with Brass Coach Kit Roofs.

P

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Mallard60022 said:

Any chance of an identity confirmation please?

20210817_170518.jpg.181d29825bdfefe13512c42185a96bc9.jpg

Coach 1483 was a Collett C73 diagram, 8 compartment, gangwayed Third (later Second). Built 1937 and withdrawn in 1964.

This model matches the drawings for that diagram.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

See as there has been interest/discussion of some the upcoming products, Rapido UK's newsletter 6 from last month is now online for everyone at https://myemail.constantcontact.com/Rapido-UK-News-No--6---all-the-latest-from-your-favourite-model-manufacturer-.html?soid=1101318906379&aid=lil48QBbIg0

Possible things of interest to people in this thread

• Gunpowder Van - 7 EP sample images
  • Loriot Y - 2 CAD images
  • AA20 Toad - 3 CAD images
  • explanation for delay in 15xx project

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Nick Gough said:

Coach 1483 was a Collett C73 diagram, 8 compartment, gangwayed Third (later Second). Built 1937 and withdrawn in 1964.

This model matches the drawings for that diagram.

Merci Monsewer, much appreciated. I don't have Drawings for GWR stock except some in Books.

Thought it was Collett.

Ex Geoff Brewin's (RIP) collection. It has very weird couplings but it may/probably will be modified so it can run with my ancient RTR Colletts in some sort of Diversion or Special. Otherwise it can only run with three other Midland Coaches, also Comet builds, all ex Geoff's collection with matching couplings.

Despite being the wrong green I think it is quite a handsome item.

Signal Box is a Gravy Train production, as a gift to myself, as a previous effort was naff. Well identified Spams; name gives it away really don't it?

Appreciate the laughs and the info chaps.

P

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

GWR 00 Rolling Stock Mini-Poll No.10: Gangwayed Stock (exc Sleepers & Catering)

Hello everyone

Welcome to the tenth in our series of GWR 00 Rolling Stock Mini-Polls. I am running them here with my friends, John Lewis, Chris Knowles-Thomas and Ian Taylor on Rob’s behalf.

You will find ‘an indication’ of what we are looking at via the (nominal) length and width data and dates in parentheses. We simply cannot list every incarnation! The makers are tending to ‘tool up’ to cover as many variants as are commercially viable. For us, the mantra is: If it looks like a Dreadnought coach, it probably is.

In order to generate some debate – and some ‘learning opportunities’ – please feel free to explain why you have chosen your selections. I copy all ‘Comments Received’ in order of receipt – but with names removed – and post them as a PDF with the Results.

Please note that we do not welcome comments that act as an excuse to start up the old chestnut of ‘kits vs RTR’!

Here’s what to do…

1. You may vote for any or all of the items listed plus suggestions at 12 (if you so wish).

2. They must be items you would realistically wish to buy if made RTR at ‘affordable prices’.

3. Submit your entries on this thread simply as (for example): 2, 4, 7 – with comments and explanations following. My posting which follows should serve as an example.

4. If you vote by PM, please only list your selection of numbers without explanations.

Clerestory

1   Dean Gangwayed Clerestory Coaches (1892-1904)      

70ft Long Coaches

2   Churchward 70ft Coaches ‘Dreadnought’ (1904-1905)

3   Churchward 70ft Coaches ‘Concertina’ (1906-1907)

4   Churchward 70ft Coaches ‘Toplight’ (1908-1922)

5   Collett 70ft Coaches ‘South Wales’ (1923-1924)

9ft 5¾in & 9ft 7in ‘Wide’ Stock

6   Collett 61ft 4½in (9ft 5¾in wide) Cornish Riviera etc Coaches (1929-1930)

7   Collett 61ft 4½in (9ft 7in wide) ‘Super Saloons’ (1931)

8   Collett 61ft 4½in (9ft 7in wide) ‘Centenary’ Coaches (1935)

9ft & 9ft 3in Stock

9   Collett 61ft 4½in (9ft & 9ft 3in wide) Bow Ended General Service Coaches (1930-1933)

10 Collett 60ft (9ft wide) Excursion Coaches (1935)

11 Collett 60ft 11¼in (9ft wide) ‘Large Window’/‘Sunshine’ Coaches (1936-1943)

12 Your suggestions for Gangwayed Stock not listed.

Please do not suggest any of the shorter ‘Toplights’, Sleepers or Catering stock. Other ‘Toplights’ have been dealt with; Sleepers and Catering are in future Mini-Polls.

Get your thinking caps on and get voting! I will acknowledge receipt of your vote via the ‘Thx’ tick box.

You have until 17.00 on Saturday 21 August. However, I will stop earlier and advise if votes reach 50. I will present the results during the day on Sunday 22 August.

I look forward to your selections and comments!

Brian

(Note: These are ‘informal Polls for fun’ on Rob’s thread only and neither RMweb nor The 00 Wishlist Poll Team are specifically involved, apart from me, John, Chris and Ian in our ‘personal capacities’.)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hello everyone

I’m voting for:

• No.10 Excursion Stock
  • No.11 ‘Sunshine’ Stock

The Excursion Stock was a ‘stop press’ addition to my list as I have just been looking into their value more carefully – however, a difficulty as I see it is that modellers would really need a Diag.H46 Cafeteria Car (of 1956) or one of the same series stock Kitchen Cars to H54. Given that getting any GWR catering stock is hard, I’m not holding my breath but will firmly cross my fingers in eternal hope!

I would love No.11, the Collett ‘Large Window’/’Sunshine’ Coaches.

The current Bachmann range – emanating from the original Mainline models of 1991 – actually only gives us the C77 Third and E159 Brake Composite. Their so-called ‘Brake Second’, ‘Composite’ and ‘First’ were achieved by simply leaving off or adding the figure ‘1’ and/or changing the running numbers.

Correct vehicles, flush-glazing and sides to modern standards will make these a ‘must have’ as the style is distinctly different to the Hornby Colletts and Hawksworths. A bonus for the C77 Third is that it was used in GWR Railcar set W37/W38.

And I wonder if anyone would make the ‘matching’ Diag.H53 Buffet Car. These were rebuilt as Buffet Restaurant Cars in 1955 – but they did last to 1963.

Brian

Edited by BMacdermott
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, BMacdermott said:

GWR 00 Rolling Stock Mini-Poll No.10: Gangwayed Stock (exc Sleepers & Catering)

Hello everyone

Welcome to the tenth in our series of GWR 00 Rolling Stock Mini-Polls. I am running them here with my friends, John Lewis, Chris Knowles-Thomas and Ian Taylor on Rob’s behalf.

You will find ‘an indication’ of what we are looking at via the (nominal) length and width data and dates in parentheses. We simply cannot list every incarnation! The makers are tending to ‘tool up’ to cover as many variants as are commercially viable. For us, the mantra is: If it looks like a Dreadnought coach, it probably is.

In order to generate some debate – and some ‘learning opportunities’ – please feel free to explain why you have chosen your selections. I copy all ‘Comments Received’ in order of receipt – but with names removed – and post them as a PDF with the Results.

Please note that we do not welcome comments that act as an excuse to start up the old chestnut of ‘kits vs RTR’!

Here’s what to do…

1. You may vote for any or all of the items listed plus suggestions at 12 (if you so wish).

2. They must be items you would realistically wish to buy if made RTR at ‘affordable prices’.

3. Submit your entries on this thread simply as (for example): 2, 4, 7 – with comments and explanations following. My posting which follows should serve as an example.

4. If you vote by PM, please only list your selection of numbers without explanations.

Clerestory

1   Dean Gangwayed Clerestory Coaches (1892-1904)      

70ft Long Coaches

2   Churchward 70ft Coaches ‘Dreadnought’ (1904-1905)

3   Churchward 70ft Coaches ‘Concertina’ (1906-1907)

4   Churchward 70ft Coaches ‘Toplight’ (1908-1922)

5   Collett 70ft Coaches ‘South Wales’ (1923-1924)

9ft 5¾in & 9ft 7in ‘Wide’ Stock

6   Collett 61ft 4½in (9ft 5¾in wide) Cornish Riviera etc Coaches (1929-1930)

7   Collett 61ft 4½in (9ft 7in wide) ‘Super Saloons’ (1931)

8   Collett 61ft 4½in (9ft 7in wide) ‘Centenary’ Coaches (1935)

9ft & 9ft 3in Stock

9   Collett 61ft 4½in (9ft & 9ft 3in wide) Bow Ended General Service Coaches (1930-1933)

10 Collett 60ft (9ft wide) Excursion Coaches (1935)

11 Collett 60ft 11¼in (9ft wide) ‘Large Window’/‘Sunshine’ Coaches (1936-1943)

12 Your suggestions for Gangwayed Stock not listed.

Please do not suggest any of the shorter ‘Toplights’, Sleepers or Catering stock. Other ‘Toplights’ have been dealt with; Sleepers and Catering are in future Mini-Polls.

Get your thinking caps on and get voting! I will acknowledge receipt of your vote via the ‘Thx’ tick box.

You have until 17.00 on Saturday 21 August. However, I will stop earlier and advise if votes reach 50. I will present the results during the day on Sunday 22 August.

I look forward to your selections and comments!

Brian

(Note: These are ‘informal Polls for fun’ on Rob’s thread only and neither RMweb nor The 00 Wishlist Poll Team are specifically involved, apart from me, John, Chris and Ian in our ‘personal capacities’.)

4, 5, 6, 8, 9, 10, 11 please.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

8, 9 and 11 for me. Although I would prefer 8/9 to to the sunshine stock given that although, as you mention, there are certain inaccuracies with the Bachmann model, at least they aren’t completely unusable. Whereas I would say Hornby’s neglected centenary stock certainly needs a lot of work to bring it to modern standards.

I also think that the super saloons would sell well, although I haven’t voted for them as I would not have a use for them.

• Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold

For me I would buy any of 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 10 and 11

8 being omitted because I have already built a complete rake.   

Key preference would be for 2/3 and 11 given the sunshine stock is of particular use, while the concertina and dreadnaught coaches are a fascinating design (with the former being rather involved to kit build with all those recessed doors)

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold

10 and 11 please - in multiples of all types.

(One GWR 'loose' coach I can definitely identifiably remember travelling in on a mainline working was an example of No. 10 hauled by a 'Castle' then a 'Schools' and the reverse of that on the return journey, including the 'Castle' doing the final 5 miles tender first).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2