A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Brian as usual.;)

My choices are 6,7 9,10,11

Super Saloons would be a delicious choice but run of the mill coaches would be generally a better option. I have to say that the 70 footers would only be of use on those with largish layouts and generous curves.

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, BMacdermott said:

GWR 00 Rolling Stock Mini-Poll No.10: Gangwayed Stock (exc Sleepers & Catering)

Hello everyone

Welcome to the tenth in our series of GWR 00 Rolling Stock Mini-Polls. I am running them here with my friends, John Lewis, Chris Knowles-Thomas and Ian Taylor on Rob’s behalf.

You will find ‘an indication’ of what we are looking at via the (nominal) length and width data and dates in parentheses. We simply cannot list every incarnation! The makers are tending to ‘tool up’ to cover as many variants as are commercially viable. For us, the mantra is: If it looks like a Dreadnought coach, it probably is.

In order to generate some debate – and some ‘learning opportunities’ – please feel free to explain why you have chosen your selections. I copy all ‘Comments Received’ in order of receipt – but with names removed – and post them as a PDF with the Results.

Please note that we do not welcome comments that act as an excuse to start up the old chestnut of ‘kits vs RTR’!

Here’s what to do…

1. You may vote for any or all of the items listed plus suggestions at 12 (if you so wish).

2. They must be items you would realistically wish to buy if made RTR at ‘affordable prices’.

3. Submit your entries on this thread simply as (for example): 2, 4, 7 – with comments and explanations following. My posting which follows should serve as an example.

4. If you vote by PM, please only list your selection of numbers without explanations.

Clerestory

1   Dean Gangwayed Clerestory Coaches (1892-1904)      

70ft Long Coaches

2   Churchward 70ft Coaches ‘Dreadnought’ (1904-1905)

3   Churchward 70ft Coaches ‘Concertina’ (1906-1907)

4   Churchward 70ft Coaches ‘Toplight’ (1908-1922)

5   Collett 70ft Coaches ‘South Wales’ (1923-1924)

9ft 5¾in & 9ft 7in ‘Wide’ Stock

6   Collett 61ft 4½in (9ft 5¾in wide) Cornish Riviera etc Coaches (1929-1930)

7   Collett 61ft 4½in (9ft 7in wide) ‘Super Saloons’ (1931)

8   Collett 61ft 4½in (9ft 7in wide) ‘Centenary’ Coaches (1935)

9ft & 9ft 3in Stock

9   Collett 61ft 4½in (9ft & 9ft 3in wide) Bow Ended General Service Coaches (1930-1933)

10 Collett 60ft (9ft wide) Excursion Coaches (1935)

11 Collett 60ft 11¼in (9ft wide) ‘Large Window’/‘Sunshine’ Coaches (1936-1943)

12 Your suggestions for Gangwayed Stock not listed.

Please do not suggest any of the shorter ‘Toplights’, Sleepers or Catering stock. Other ‘Toplights’ have been dealt with; Sleepers and Catering are in future Mini-Polls.

Get your thinking caps on and get voting! I will acknowledge receipt of your vote via the ‘Thx’ tick box.

You have until 17.00 on Saturday 21 August. However, I will stop earlier and advise if votes reach 50. I will present the results during the day on Sunday 22 August.

I look forward to your selections and comments!

Brian

(Note: These are ‘informal Polls for fun’ on Rob’s thread only and neither RMweb nor The 00 Wishlist Poll Team are specifically involved, apart from me, John, Chris and Ian in our ‘personal capacities’.)

Afternoon @BMacdermottand poll team, thank you for another mini poll.

If I thought the previous polls were going to prove expensive, this one is worse! You are spoiling us with too much choice Brian - not a complaint, just thank you….

It also goes to show that in Bachmann replacing their ageing sunshine stock, they have lots to choose from. I remain convinced Bachmann are designing something at the moment and it will hit the model shop shelves…… in the next 12 months or so…. (I’ve said that for years!)

My thoughts are as follows:

1. Clerestory - nice in small quantities, but not as a main stock item… similarly the 70ft stock - nice to have, but we don’t all have sweeping curves ala Pendon, so that’s realistically a no to 1 to 5.

However, things get really interesting at 6 to 11:

6 and 8 - Yes please, but if company “x” are going to produce them, please do it before I start kit building! Both are niche products, but we all love some fancy carriages to run behind our King class locos. Clearly though anything Cornish Riviera has to include a full set (Left/Right/Restaurant/Brakes etc.)

9;10;11 as general stock on all our model railways, any full set of these carriages will complement Hornby’s current Collett range of carriages very nicely - but again, we then need a full set please.

Sadly I think the Super Saloons is a NO - they are just too niche, although lovely carriages.

Then of course, how many would I buy?  Loads no doubt if they are in GWR Shirtbutton.

Thanks again Brian and also to @gwrrobfor hosting.

Edited by Neal Ball
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, gwrrob said:

Thanks Brian as usual.;)

My choices are 6,7 9,10,11

Super Saloons would be a delicious choice but run of the mill coaches would be generally a better option. I have to say that the 70 footers would only be of use on those with largish layouts and generous curves.

Are you suggesting some of us do not haver generous curves Rob?

image.png.2f13a004a3a283841aa48da28cbeed2e.png

• Funny 7

9, 10 and 11 for sure.

The 70 footers would be nice but how many could one use on an average layout; I have curved platforms so that could cause problems.  The "wide" stock would again be nice but niche, I could not guarantee that I would buy many of them.  "Go Anywhere" stock should be good sellers.

Thanks again to Brian, Rob and the Team.

Martin

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold

I'll go for 1, 9 and 11.  RTR models of 70 footers to modern standards would be awesome but my six-foot way and curved platform clearances would preclude them.  Gangwayed clerestories (with relief panelling this time!) would be great and play into what seems like a recent revival of pre-grouping era modelling.  And more general 1930s stock would be welcome.

John C.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 2

1, 2, 4, 6, 7, 8.

For the future if you wish to do a poll like this for the GWR Modellers page I admin on Facebook, I'm sure the other admins wouldn't mind.

A new GWR Dean Clerestory is especially on the top of my list and especially after having seen GWR 1941 several times during my trips to Didcot over the years...

27100907447_79f2cf6440_b.jpg

Edited by Garethp8873
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1

On 17/08/2021 at 10:40, M.I.B said:

Rob

I put Worsely Works brass sides onto a Mainline 57' coach.  If you aren't super fussy about chassis and running gear, Mainline did a 57' in GWR and BR(W) livery and also one in LMS which will take the sides.    Roof will need work  in terms of ribs and vents adding.  

It was one that worked out well and stuck properly.       The ones I did with Araldite went quite Pete Tong.  Advise you use Evostick to join sides to RTR.

K22 Mainline.jpg

Likewise the first on my Worsley's used the ex Palitoy/mainline LMS coaches.

More recently I have been using the latest Hornby non corridor compos. For bow ended stock there is little detail to clean off, no roof tanks to remove etc. Here is the Worsley K22 sides on lied up on a Hornby body. Bogies will be replaced with some old Kirk Americans leaving me a decent set of 7ft spare (I wish the 7ft's were available separately).

1301075282_worsley.hornbycon(2).jpg.5d8b94846f65919af0e7c905c3cbf72e.jpg

The Worsley K22 is a god fit if used with available extra flat ends. I am also in the process of producing a C32 using the Hornby non corr as a basis but this time keeping the 7ft bogies as I have a photo of a C32 re bogie with 7fts.

2035059959_worsley.hornbyconlr(1).jpg.8aba8ccc335a4c9fa23ca3554934b12f.jpg

Mike Wiltshire

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6

• RMweb Premium

My submissions for this weeks poll.

Concertina Stock.

6 Cornish Riviera Stock.

9 Collett 61ft 4½in Bow Ended General Service Vehicles.

10 Collett 60ft Excursion Stock.

11 Collett 60ft 11¼in ‘Sunshine’ Stock.

General thoughts on my choices.

Concertina stock is pretty well out of my period however I have a photo of the Cornishman c1955 with what appears to be a concertina vehicle in use as a strengthener. So on this basis I would take an odd one if they were available.

Also by the 1950s Riviera Stock seems to have been used as strengtheners so 2 or 3 on this basis.

Excursion and Sunshine, yes please, quite a few required. 

As regards the Super Saloons and Centenary stock. The saloons would be lovely models but sadly I have no use. As for Centenaries, I’m currently producing those I need via the Comet/Hornby route and although they would be rightly welcomed by many I have no personal need.

Marvellous work on the polls, Brian and team although I hope the manufacturers won’t produce what we’ve asked for all at once. That would be very expensive! ;) :)

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 2

After some consideration I am going to vote for 9 & 11. 

As mentioned by others, please do the whole set, BCKs & Restaurant Cars included where appropriate. And a reasonable number of 3rds! These are by far the most common coaches, but trying to get hold a maroon Hawksworth 3rd is quite literally impossible at the moment. 

• Thanks 2

My vote goes to 9. and 11.  but it should be borne in mind that not all 'Sunshines' were 60' 11.25" long - composites were 59' 10" or 58' 7" while the sole first diagram was 60' 1.25".  This might deter some manufacturers.

For 12.  I suggest, with hesitation,  the flat ended 57' stock of 1933-35.  Hesitation because only Thirds, Van Thirds and Brake Compos were produced in this style, ie no Compo.  But, by my reckoning, the C67 third was the fourth most numerous diagram of Grouping period Third after the bow ended E127 (Hornby); the Hawksworth C82/84 (Hornby; and the 'Sunshine' C77 (Bachmann.

Chris KT  

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Garethp8873 said:

For the future if you wish to do a poll like this for the GWR Modellers page I admin on Facebook, I'm sure the other admins wouldn't mind.

Hello Garethp8873

Firstly, that's a lovely photo and I have copied your words with it into the Comments Received report.

Many thanks for the info about the Facebook pages. We would never say 'never' but we feel the Mini-Polls are working well at this more 'local level'. As noted at the foot of each Mini-Poll, they are 'informal Polls for fun'.

Brian (on behalf of John, Chris & Ian)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I will vote for 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 9, 10, and 11.

I would be able to use all of these types on my layout and in my time period, including the 70 footers.

I have not voted for the Centenarys since I already have a number of the Airfix version and, in any case, these would have been rarely seen west of Reading, on the Bristol line, in my time period.

I would also support the suggestion of the flat ended 57' stock of 1933-35. 

Edited by Nick Gough
Extra detail
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, chris45lsw said:

For 12.  I suggest, with hesitation,  the flat ended 57' stock of 1933-35.  Hesitation because only Thirds, Van Thirds and Brake Compos were produced in this style, ie no Compo.  But, by my reckoning, the C67 third was the fourth most numerous diagram of Grouping period Third after the bow ended E127 (Hornby); the Hawksworth C82/84 (Hornby; and the 'Sunshine' C77 (Bachmann.

Chris KT  

A very thought provoking suggestion there Chris.

Could I add my support for this in addition to my earlier vote Brian?

Thanks.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, DRoe96 said:

A very thought provoking suggestion there Chris.

Could I add my support for this in addition to my earlier vote Brian?

Thanks.

Indeed you can and I have duly logged your vote. 

If anyone else wishes to add the suggestion from Chris to their votes, that's all fine with me.

I am always happy to revise votes (within reason!) as these are 'informal polls for fun'. The only criterion that I apply strictly is the closing date and time.

Brian

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, chris45lsw said:

My vote goes to 9. and 11.  but it should be borne in mind that not all 'Sunshines' were 60' 11.25" long - composites were 59' 10" or 58' 7" while the sole first diagram was 60' 1.25".  This might deter some manufacturers.

Chris KT  

Thanks Chris

Back in 'the bad old days', pretty much all one could expect was a Brake Second and a Compo. The makers now seem to be a tad more relaxed about different lengths etc  - Bachmann's 'Porthole' stock and Hornby's Coronation Scot ranges being cases in point.

Maybe the 59ft 10in x 8ft 11in Diag.E158 'Sunshine' Compo would be a good bet? There were 96 vehicles produced as against 20 of the same-dimensioned E162. The Diag.E160 was smaller at 58ft 7in x 8ft 11in and had just 19 vehicles (all data from The 2019 Poll Guide).

The 'Portholes' had a plethora of First Class types so there might be a case for the matching First.

Brian

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, BMacdermott said:

Back in 'the bad old days', pretty much all one could expect was a Brake Second and a Compo. The makers now seem to be a tad more relaxed about different lengths etc  - Bachmann's 'Porthole' stock and Hornby's Coronation Scot ranges being cases in point.

Interesting point. Nowadays manufacturers don’t give us one generic roof or underframe, each has different detail according to prototype. So with that in mind a few millimetres extra length on mould X compared to mould Y shouldn’t make much difference to the machining processes.

Or am I talking rubbish? 

Edited by TrevorP1
Typo, added: a ‘few’ millimetres.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1