A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Clearwater said:

We’ve been on the SDR on previous holidays and I agree it’s a lovely railway.  Is the fish restaurant the former station building?  We enjoyed the boat trip though #1 son complained it wasn’t on the steam paddle steamer.  We were all impressed by the way the naval college towers  above the river.

751CABD5-8D68-4495-9615-7571D2297204.jpeg

For all of you,adults and children alike,try Rockfish on Dartmouth Quay. It is licensed btw. If feeling flush….but probably not in any case as it’s a family holiday…..then The Seahorse which is owned and run by the same guy Mitch Tonks is special.And expensive. I love the area .It’s a great place to spend time. Try visiting Dartington and the Cider Press too.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, chrisf said:

Rich, are you thinking of the Empty Diners?  It ran each Friday in the summer from Paddington to Truro where the dining cars were detached and spread among the deserving.

Chris

Some were detached at Par and worked down to Newquay.

• Agree 2

5 hours ago, Ribird said:

I know nothing about most coaches (need to learn eventually), but Hattons has some bargains for GWR Collet and Hawksworth coaches for about ₤31 a piece in the bundles, and ₤33 individually. 

Hattons: Hornby GWR Collett 57' (shirtbutton livery)

Hattons: Hornby BR Collett & Hawksworth Coaches

Kernow have the Hawksworths and some Collets for £29.99, and unbelievably, some of the Collett subs at £24.49! At that price i'm struggling to not order some more even though I have all I realistically need. 

CoY

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

15 hours ago, toboldlygo said:
20 hours ago, toboldlygo said:

The Railtec Website appears to be very selective as to who appears to work for..

It's the only site I've had 'issues' with Paypal and when you offered to place the order over the phone - your card facility was down and I did give you my mobile number and you never bothered back to me when it was fixed.

I had a neighbour try to order for (who works for Worldpay) she couldn't place the order either.

I should think we are at risk of tainting an otherwise positive, informative and light-hearted thread, but as there has been a written public inference that the Railtec web site is somehow discriminatory, in addition that Railtec was unhelpful in other regards, then one might hope it would be deemed reasonable to similarly set the public record straight.

Railtec has no control over how an individual's PayPal account functions, limitations thereof, the technical ability of an individual to administer their PayPal account, nor has any control over paypal.com. This equally accounts for neighbours or other acquaintances who may or may not be allegedly employed by competitors of PayPal. Clearly if there were a generic issue with the integration between Railtec (or any site) and paypal.com then this would present itself in a widely publicised manner, which is far from the case based on the vast numbers who are able to complete the check-out process. According to my notes an attempt was made to contact the number provided but received a "this number is not accepting calls" response. Granted, another attempt was not made as other matters came to the fore, but reading a previous comment it would appear that you have hopefully found success in sourcing the required product via other means. Perhaps any further discussion should be conducted via PM.

And so in an attempt to redress the pH balance, it may be of interest to some that there has been some further testing on GWR mess and tool van roof boards which takes advantage of the waterslide 3d technology in order to give the correct relief. Just a little more research to be done around specific colours but these should become available in due course in at least 4mm and 7mm.

Edited by railtec-models
  • Like 7
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, railtec-models said:

And so in an attempt to redress the pH balance, it may be of interest to some that there has been some further testing on GWR mess and tool van roof boards which takes advantage of the waterslide 3d technology in order to give the correct relief. Just a little more research to be done around specific colours but these should become available in due course in at least 4mm and 7mm.

I’ve yet to build any mess / tool vans but they are on the wants list for the future so will watch with interest for these.  

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, The Fatadder said:

I've had a flick through and so far no mention of the formation of my empty coaching rake so I am still at a loss as to where I got the information that it was comprised of restaurant coaches... 

however I did spot this gem in the summer 49 book:

8:17 am Perrenporth - Paddington

Van Third, TK, CK, CK, TK, TK, BTK, Dining Car (not specified), BCK, BCK, TK, TK, CK, BTK

The section in bold formed the 10:20am Kingsbridge - Brent, although there is nothing in the timetable which details how it actually got to Kingsbridge in the first place.  My assumption is that the down traffic was not sufficient to have a dedicated train, and instead would have been spread across a large number.  For a set of 5 coaches to form the 10:20 service out of Kingsbridge, it would have needed to arrive at Brent some time around 9:30-9:40 at the latest, so something like a 4am departure from Paddington.   So my assumption is that the coaches would have been worked empty from Plymouth or Newton Abbot to Kingsbridge.   Thinking about it I have a feeling this service may have been discussed on here once before...

While I have long since decided that I will base the layout in September / October in order that I am able to avoid the very long summer trains (and i am fairly sure its been mentioned before that it had not returned in the summer 47 timetable)  I do think a crack at modelling this specific working will be too hard to resist.

Hello Rich

The Summer 1948 carriage book shows that five coach formation (which is not the same as the same five coach set) going down on the 9.30am Paddington-Perranporth (with other stock to Newquay).

We would need the local area book to see if they worked to Kingsbridge or not.

Brian

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, chrisf said:

I think it more likely that these coaches spent the week at Kingsbridge, having arrived on the previous Saturday afternoon.  This was certainly the case around 1961.

Chris

16 hours ago, The Fatadder said:

I've had a flick through and so far no mention of the formation of my empty coaching rake so I am still at a loss as to where I got the information that it was comprised of restaurant coaches... 

however I did spot this gem in the summer 49 book:

8:17 am Perrenporth - Paddington

Van Third, TK, CK, CK, TK, TK, BTK, Dining Car (not specified), BCK, BCK, TK, TK, CK, BTK

The section in bold formed the 10:20am Kingsbridge - Brent, although there is nothing in the timetable which details how it actually got to Kingsbridge in the first place.  My assumption is that the down traffic was not sufficient to have a dedicated train, and instead would have been spread across a large number.  For a set of 5 coaches to form the 10:20 service out of Kingsbridge, it would have needed to arrive at Brent some time around 9:30-9:40 at the latest, so something like a 4am departure from Paddington.   So my assumption is that the coaches would have been worked empty from Plymouth or Newton Abbot to Kingsbridge.   Thinking about it I have a feeling this service may have been discussed on here once before...

While I have long since decided that I will base the layout in September / October in order that I am able to avoid the very long summer trains (and i am fairly sure its been mentioned before that it had not returned in the summer 47 timetable)  I do think a crack at modelling this specific working will be too hard to resist.

15 minutes ago, BMacdermott said:

Hello Rich

The Summer 1948 carriage book shows that five coach formation (which is not the same as the same five coach set) going down on the 9.30am Paddington-Perranporth (with other stock to Newquay).

Brian

In 1952 the 1055 SO Paddington- Penzance conveyed three through carriages to Kingsbridge, worked forward on the 1540 SO Brent - Kingsbridge. There's an 1815 SO Kingsbridge - Brent ECS but I suspect that this was one of the Branch sets, as I can't find an onward working from Brent.

In the Up direction the 1055 SO Kingsbridge - Brent conveyed six through coaches (only). It's possible that these worked down from Brent at 0948 but there's no obvious inward working to Brent to suit that. These six coaches included the three that worked Down the previous week and three more that were "scratch".

My conclusion, therefore, is that in 1952 the Down through coaches stayed all week at either Brent or Kingsbridge - probably, as @chrisf says, Kingsbridge - and the other three coaches were acquired by local arrangement during the intervening days.

Sources: 1952 Summer Plymouth District STT (my collection); 1952 Summer Programme of Working of Coaches and Vans in Through Trains (Robert Carroll collection).

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

21 hours ago, The Fatadder said:

However from memory of the working timetable there was one daily train comprising of about 5 different restaurant cars which ran from Cornwall (or maybe Plymouth) back to London,

I have a 1930's shot (which has appeared in print somewhere) of KGV stopped at Wellington heading towards the West with a train of dining cars including two articulated triple diner sets.

They will have been moved as required, especially if there were boat train requirements.

I will look it out when I get home. Too busy riding in a C10 clerestory behind a Saint!

Mike Wiltshire

• Like 8

1 hour ago, St Enodoc said:

My conclusion, therefore, is that in 1952 the Down through coaches stayed all week at either Brent or Kingsbridge - probably, as @chrisf says, Kingsbridge - and the other three coaches were acquired by local arrangement during the intervening days.

This is very much as it was in 1961.  "By local arrangement" covers a mutitude of sins!

Chris

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, St Enodoc said:

In 1952 the 1055 SO Paddington- Penzance conveyed three through carriages to Kingsbridge, worked forward on the 1540 SO Brent - Kingsbridge. There's an 1815 SO Kingsbridge - Brent ECS but I suspect that this was one of the Branch sets, as I can't find an onward working from Brent.

In the Up direction the 1055 SO Kingsbridge - Brent conveyed six through coaches (only). It's possible that these worked down from Brent at 0948 but there's no obvious inward working to Brent to suit that. These six coaches included the three that worked Down the previous week and three more that were "scratch".

Sources: 1952 Summer Plymouth District STT (my collection); 1952 Summer Programme of Working of Coaches and Vans in Through Trains (Robert Carroll collection).

What fascinates me is the sheer scale that his kind of operation went on - and the number of dedicated and knowledgeable railwaymen that made it work.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Ian Hargrave said:

For all of you,adults and children alike,try Rockfish on Dartmouth Quay. It is licensed btw. If feeling flush….but probably not in any case as it’s a family holiday…..then The Seahorse which is owned and run by the same guy Mitch Tonks is special.And expensive. I love the area .It’s a great place to spend time. Try visiting Dartington and the Cider Press too.

Rockfish do a great service and GF, F & C too (in Plymuff anyway). 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
Just now, Mallard60022 said:

Rockfish do a great service and GF, F & C too (in Plymuff anyway). 

My favourite place in Dartmouth used to be the Cherub but I see that the menu is just standard pub grub now - shame.

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, TrevorP1 said:

What fascinates me is the sheer scale that his kind of operation went on - and the number of dedicated and knowledgeable railwaymen that made it work.

Numbers helped. When I joined in 1966 there were roundly 250k employees, despite the "Razor Gangs" having been at work for some years doing their work-study analysis and reducing complements everywhere. By 1990 I think the number was 120k, reflecting lost business (parcels and freight as well as some line closures) and altered practices including single-manning of locos and DOO. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, BMacdermott said:

Hello Rich

Brian

That Summer 1957 Book, with all the workings in Cornwall, notes the FO bunch of Catering Cars train. I know sometimes those books a re a wee bit 'fictional', but that's where I got the idea from.

Phil

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

Numbers helped. When I joined in 1966 there were roundly 250k employees, despite the "Razor Gangs" having been at work for some years doing their work-study analysis and reducing complements everywhere. By 1990 I think the number was 120k, reflecting lost business (parcels and freight as well as some line closures) and altered practices including single-manning of locos and DOO. 

Agree.  on the Western in the late 1960s there was at least one man in each of the Divisonal Passenger Train offices who did nothing else but weekly and Bank Holiday alterations Notices; daily Notices were done by somebody else - i -usually it involved a couple of people and somebody did coach working alterations,  WR (hauled) passenger rolling stock was at about that time put under Regional HQ control and two people dealt with that and one of them only dealt with catering vehicles and diners.   In 1985 when the three Divisional Offices were abolished and integrated with RHQ and we all moved to Swindon I was managing the setting up of the equivalent passenger train office for the entire WR and had just 4 staff (one of whom dealt with hauled coaching stock but really barely had a day's work) and me until the new Passenger Trains Officer arrived.  Most of the work that had been there in the late '60s had simply vanished.

My local station used to have extensive carriage sidings - 7 of them each cat least 15 chains long.  One was needed as headshunt for the long siding in the goods yard so had to be kept clear and two were needed for overnight stabling of the through London trains which ran on weekdays.  The rest of them were jammed full of coaching stock during the winter and which for the summer peak period plus some use at Christmas and Easter.  Come the early 1960s and Beeching et al the 50 odd coaches which only turned a wheel for a few months every year all went for scrap but until then it was a GWR coaching stock enthusiasts' mecca as anything up to including most versions of 70ft vehicles could be stored there.  By the late '60s most of the sidings had gone and it finished up with only 2 in use until the London trains went over to DMU operation.  By the early 1970s it was a vacant waste ground and much of it is now heavily overgrown while part has been sold off and is a footpath to industrial buildings.   And the coaches were stored there because there was no room for them at Old Oak, or West London, or Hanwell Bridge or anywhere else within 40 miles of Paddington.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 11

On 24/08/2021 at 08:46, BMacdermott said:

GWR 00 Rolling Stock Mini-Poll No.11: Dining Cars

Hello everyone

Welcome to the eleventh in our series of GWR 00 Rolling Stock Mini-Polls. I am running them here with my friends, John Lewis, Chris Knowles-Thomas and Ian Taylor on Rob’s behalf. We also extend a warm welcome to Mike Wiltshire (aka Coach bogie) to the team for this Dining Car Mini-Poll only.

We have discounted many of the GWR Dining Cars as being too long for many, too few vehicles in some cases or having a complicated structural history. Some may be surprised that we have omitted the Hornby Diag.H33 Compo Diner. We have instead listed Diag.H25 – it has the same design body sides as the H33 and is, in effect, a flat end version of it.

Crucially, the H25 ran in BR Chocolate & Cream whereas H33 never did. The Hornby Dublo Restaurant Car of 1957 was clearly based on the H25 design.

We have given you six suggestions with bullet point notes, as we did with the ‘Toplights'. We feel this will give a more ‘rounded result’ with everyone ‘singing from the same sheet’.

In order to generate some debate – and some ‘learning opportunities’ – please feel free to explain why you have chosen your selections. I copy all ‘Comments Received’ in order of receipt – but with names removed – and post them as a PDF with the Results.

Please note that we do not welcome comments that act as an excuse to start up the old chestnut of ‘kits vs RTR’!

Here’s what to do…

1. You may vote for any or all of the items plus your preferences at 7 and/or 8 plus suggestions at 9 (if you so wish).

2. They must be items you would realistically wish to buy if made RTR at ‘affordable prices’.

3. Submit your entries on this thread simply as (for example): 1, 3 & 6 – with comments and explanations following. My posting which follows should serve as an example.

4. If you vote by PM, please only list your selection of numbers without explanations.

1 Diag.H16 Unclassed Diner

57ft x 9ft. Six vehicles. Nos.9546 to 9551. ‘Toplight’ series. Kitchen at one end. Lifespan: 1908-1955/60.

• As built, they looked rather like ordinary compartment stock. Each seating bay had a droplight and a pair of quarterlights.
  • Originally had 9ft American bogies under the kitchen end and 8ft ones under the other, the latter quickly changed to 9ft American in 1909, then 9ft ‘heavy’ bogies in the mid-1920s.
  • Had flat bars trussing, as did the early ‘Toplights’. In effect, a Bars 1 ‘Toplight’…without toplights!
  • 1938 GWR document shows No.9540 Minehead-Paddington; No.9547 Kingswear-Wolverhampton; No.9548 Minehead-Paddington; No.9550 Ilfracombe-Paddington.
  • In 1938/9, they were all given effectively new steel panelled sides with large windows, making them now look more ‘restaurant’ than ‘passenger’.
  • They spent WWII as Kitchen Cars in Ambulance trains.
  • After returning to ordinary service, they were all fitted with Pullman gangway adaptors (but maybe not to No.9549). No.9551 didn’t get them until November 1957!
  • No.9550 was known to have run in Chocolate & Cream – and was possibly in The Cambrian Coast Express c.1957. No.9551 was photographed by RC Riley in Lined Maroon in November 1957.

Link: https://rcts.zenfolio.com/coaching-stock/gwr/other/hA86FB99A#ha86fb99a

2 Diag.H25 Compo Diner

57ft x 8ft 6in. Six vehicles. Nos.9562-9567. Flat ended. Kitchen in centre. Lifespan: 1923/24-1959/61

• Narrow width means pretty much ‘go anywhere’.
  • They were originally fitted with 9ft 'heavy' bogies, but Nos.9563/4/6 are recorded as being fitted with Collett 7ft bogies in 1928-9 (same as on Hornby Colletts).
  • 1938 GWR document shows No.9567 booked Wolverhampton-Paignton ECS; Paignton-Newton Abbot; Newton Abbot-Exeter; Exeter-Paignton; Paignton-Birmingham.
  • During WWII, they were formed in Casualty Evacuation and Ambulance trains.
  • All but No.9565 had new interiors post-1945. Hampton scheme.
  • In 1953/4, Nos.9562/4/5/7 fitted with gangway adaptors.
  • 1957 BR document notes No.9563 in 12.05pm Friday Empty Diners Paddington-Newquay
  • Ran in BR Chocolate & Cream, but No.9566 was noted Maroon (1957).
  • No.9563 noted in the Cambrian Coast Express late 1957; No.9566 in The Cornishman (1958).

Link: https://www.wizardmodels.ltd/shop/carriage/w29ak/

3 Diag.H38 Compo Diner

61ft 4½in x 9ft. Ten vehicles. Nos.9601-9610. Bow ended. Kitchen at one end. Lifespan: 1931-1962.

• 1938 GWR document shows No.9602 Kingswear-Manchester; No.9605 Kingswear-Manchester; No.9608 Paignton-Manchester.
  • Ran on 9ft ‘heavy’ bogies.
  • The only outwardly discernible modifications in 1939 and 1942 were to the windows – sliding glass ventilators instead of top-opening hinged toplights.
  • No.9608 was so modified in 1946, at which time it was also fitted with gangway adaptors. The remainder were so fitted in the 1950s.
  • Intended for cross-country trains, but from 1957 used more on relief trains.
  • No.9605 was acquired by the National Railway Museum.

Link: https://rcts.zenfolio.com/coaching-stock/gwr/other/hA86FA6E0#ha86fa6e0

4 Diags.H39 & H40 2-car Set (Kitchen First & Diner Third)

61ft 4½in x 9ft 3in. Ten sets (up to 1953). Nos.9611-9630. Kitchen one end of First. Lifespan: 1931-1962.

• Shallow sliding ventilators fitted before 1939 (except Nos.9614/9/24/9).
  • Modified internally under the Hampton scheme from 1949.
  • Ran on 9ft ‘heavy’ bogies.
  • All fitted later with gangway adaptors.
  • Nos.9611-13 converted to Diag.H59 Buffet Cars from September 1953.
  • Ran in BR Chocolate & Cream from summer 1956 although a 1959 photo shows a set running as Maroon Kitchen First with Red & Cream Diner (9.20amSO St Ives-Paddington).
  • In 1959, for example, used in the Cornish Riviera Express (to Penzance M-F, St Ives SO), 11.00amSO and 11.05amSO Paddington-Penzance (the latter as far as Plymouth).
  • Nos.9615 & 9627 preserved on the SVR.
  • Production of these cars might help pave the way for the ‘matching’ 1929 Cornish Riviera stock.

Link: http://www.gw-svr-a.org.uk/images/9615_600px.jpg

Link: https://www.svrwiki.com/GWR_9627_Restaurant_Third#/media/File:GWR_9627_20210423.jpg

5 Diag.H55 Buffet Car 12-wheel

60ft 11¼ x 8ft 11in. Five vehicles. Nos.9676-9680. Buffet etc one end. Lifespan: 1938-1962/5.

• 6-wheel bogies always give any vehicle a ‘distinctive and important look’.
  • These cars could run off the GWR system to the north.
  • 1938 GWR document shows No.9680 Kingswear-Paddington.
  • They were not altered in the Hampton scheme.
  • All later fitted with gangway adaptors.
  • Nos.9677 and 9678 were painted BR Chocolate & Cream in 1956.
  • One of this diagram was in the Bristolian from 1954 to 1961; that was No.9677 from 1956 in Chocolate & Cream.

Link: https://rcts.zenfolio.com/coaching-stock/gwr/other/hA87064D7#ha87064d7

6 Diag.H57 Compo Diner 12-wheel

60ft 11¼in x 8ft 11in. Five vehicles. Nos.9671-9675. Kitchen in centre. Lifespan: 1938-1962.

• 6-wheel bogies always give any vehicle a ‘distinctive and important look’.
  • These cars could run off the GWR system to the north.
  • No.9672 was the first of the Hampton refurbished vehicles into service (1946).
  • No.9673 was used by Generals Montgomery and Eisenhower as a mobile headquarters in the Alive train February 1943 to November 1946.
  • All fitted with gangway adaptors, 1953/4.
  • Nos.9672 and 9673 were painted BR Chocolate & Cream.
  • One of the two noted in The Royal Duchy (1957); No.9671 noted in The Devonian (1958); No.9672 was in The Cornishman (1957); and both noted in the Cambrian Coast Express (late 1957).
  • Used on top link duties until 1960; relief work until 1962.

Link: https://rcts.zenfolio.com/coaching-stock/gwr/other/hA87062BD#ha87062bd

7 If a company offered to make just one of the 8-wheel types, which would be your preference?

8 If a company offered to make just one of the 12-wheel types, which would be your preference?

9 Your suggestions for GWR Dining Cars not listed.

If you want a new-tooled version of the Hornby Diag.H33 Compo Diner, please log it here, but remember that that diagram never ran in BR Chocolate & Cream. Please give reasons for your suggestions.

Get your thinking caps on and get voting! I will acknowledge receipt of your vote via the ‘Thx’ tick box.

You have until midnight on Monday 30 August. However, I will stop earlier and advise if votes reach 50. I will present the results during the day on Tuesday 31 August. They will be sent to: Accurascale, Bachmann, Dapol, Hornby and Sonic.

I look forward to your selections and comments!

I have attached a PDF version of the above if is easier for you to download and observe at your leisure.

Brian

(Note: These are ‘informal Polls for fun’ on Rob’s thread only and neither RMweb nor The 00 Wishlist Poll Team are specifically involved, apart from me, John, Chris and Ian in our ‘personal capacities’.)

GWR Mini-Poll No.11 Dining Cars.pdf 121.97 kB · 12 downloads

2,3,4,5 and 6 for me. However I would almost certainly only buy one of the 12 wheelers if by some miracle they were both released.

if I could only have one:

8 wheel: H38

12 wheel: H57

9. not listed. H49 (I think) cafeteria car converted (again, I think, someone more knowledgeable may have to correct me) from a tri-art diner set.  Very aware this is quite niche however I’ve seen a Peter Gray photo of one attached to the back of an Auto train as ECS through Torre and the temptation to model that specific working is too great not to include it.

I would go for the dining pair despite the length of the train needed for that not to dominate. As my ultimate goal is to model a scale length station on the Torbay branch, they would be the finishing touch to an otherwise mk1 Torbay express set. However I recognise they are not the most useful vehicles other than for named expresses so they are not my focussed choice. Who knows maybe by the time I have the space available for that model, the GWR/western region modeller will be spoilt for choice when it comes to catering vehicles.

Thanks again all those involved in the polls, I very much enjoy following all of the debates as to the benefits of each vehicle.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, BMacdermott said:

Hello everyone

A question that maybe Mike Stationmaster can answer...

In relation to GWR catering car workings, any idea what the term 'Debris disposal' means?

Brian

Telegraphic code word 'Debris' meant 'I will advise you later'.  

In other words there was probably not any booked subsequent working for the car - so 'disposal' (i.e. what was required in terms of a next working or forwarding to where it was needed  might appear on a Notice or be advised by wire (railway word for telegram)  once it had been decided where the vehicle was needed.  in other words it allowed some flexibility to meet emerging traffic etc needs that would become known nearer the date.

• Informative/Useful 9

• RMweb Gold

My votes go to nos. 1, 2, 3 and 4.

Re Q7 my 8 wheel preference would be for 3 (H38)

Re Q8 I have no preference re 12 wheelers

Re Q9 I would welcome a revamped H33.  Compact length, and bow-ended coaches suit model railways viewed from the inside of a curve.

I take the point made by others re the large portion of train that the H39/40 pair would take up, but were such a pair to be available I wouldn't be able to resist cascading a Bachmann Collet 3rd and a Centenary compo out of my 7-coach Paddington-Plymouth set to make room for them!

Thanks,

John C.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold

Dining Car Poll

My preference    1     2     3

Due to space considerations I would probably only buy one of the above. 

If only one were made I would prefer it to be 3

Thanks again for all the work that has gone into making these mini polls so informative.

Best wishes

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2