A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Premium

When we get to the end of the mini-polls, will there be a summary of everything we have voted for during these sessions?

It will be interesting to see how (say) the AA19 Toad had x votes vs a Toplight carriage vs a Dining carriage.

Sorry to add to the work @BMacdermottIts a fascinating series so far.

Thanks again for all the work that goes into it.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Neal Ball said:

When we get to the end of the mini-polls, will there be a summary of everything we have voted for during these sessions?

It will be interesting to see how (say) the AA19 Toad had x votes vs a Toplight carriage vs a Dining carriage.

Sorry to add to the work @BMacdermottIts a fascinating series so far.

Thanks again for all the work that goes into it.

Yes!

Brian

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 1

Also from today's Rapido Newsletter (7), the following regarding the Loriot Y and Toad which confirms that they will be available separately:

It's also worth pointing out that the remaining Titfield models - Lion, the Wisbech & Upwell tramcar, the Loriot Y flat wagon and the 'Toad' brakevan will also be available in authentic historical liveries too.

If there are specific numbers/liveries you may want to use the suggestion form on the Rapido UK website to try and influence what they announce.

They are also looking for suggestions for additional liveries for the Bedford OB if that interests anyone.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, gwrrob said:

A bit of an anomaly this evening as we have an oil burner on a coal train. :scratchhead:Inspired , as always, by John C's Ocean wagons on Stoke Courtenay I did a similar cheat to get these two. I used a couple of Bachmann GWR grey 7 planks and resprayed them black before giving them to @toboldlygo to apply the tricky for me anyway , POWsides transfers. I usually make a pigs ear of these. I need some more South Wales candidates if anyone has a suggestion or two. Meanwhile 4855 heads west.

DSCN8147.JPG.06dba4642143d8915ce4614ef948995f.JPG2101261987_DSCN8148(2).JPG.f39a18b22d5ee7c9d610c1c73a4a6b61.JPGDSCN8149.JPG.c866e89cc5c6e851e39a89d3bd70dccf.JPGDSCN8150.JPG.dbb76df8d043b99a019892ec05e3eb09.JPG

For best results with POWsides, firstly you need a smooth gloss coat to apply them on.

Also you need to keep the wagon from moving and not touch the back of the decals with your fingers. So those with 3 hands will be very apt at applying them ;)

Using the tracing paper provided, cut them out with a sharp scalpel rather than scissors, align them on the wagon and tape in place with Kabuki tape and rub down with a HB pencil (mustn't be sharp).

Also cutting the lettering into smaller sections (the Ocean ones were spaced to do it) and applying a section at a time makes things a doddle.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

@BMacdermott, isn't it time we introduced a little anarchy into all this standardized GWR stuff? We could start here, just two options in the poll, the red one or the green one: 

Only joking of course, but aren't they nice?

• Like 3
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Mikkel said:

@BMacdermott, isn't it time we introduced a little anarchy into all this standardized GWR stuff? We could start here, just two options in the poll, the red one or the green one: 

Only joking of course, but aren't they nice?

What would the ride have been like? Presumably they would bounce all over the place…. With the tender sloshing water and coal everywhere!

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

1 hour ago, Mikkel said:

isn't it time we introduced a little anarchy into all this standardized GWR stuff? 

Yep ! 
Just convert to O Gauge and run another poll on that scale !!! 

S.Pistol

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 26/08/2021 at 10:52, St Enodoc said:

My favourite place in Dartmouth used to be the Cherub but I see that the menu is just standard pub grub now - shame.

If any of you good folk are down this way this weekend, I hope you enjoy your holiday and the attractions that the area has.

CTMK and I also like going to places like Kingswear, but we steer well clear of any such location at this time of year and prefer to go in winter or perhaps at 3 o'clock in the morning, when there's no one about.

I once had fish and chips from the emporium in the old station building on the quayside at Kingswear. Very nice they were too and all the more so, given that it was a jolly cold winter's day between Christmas and New Year and my two compadres (Not Jeremy of this parish and mutual friend Brian Clarke) had been hunting high and low for an operational chippy to satisfy our hunger, whilst out gricing (and yes, even the one in the village here was closed that day).

We had previously walked up to Avon Dam and having had our proverbials frozen off waiting for Not Jeremy (who for some unaccountable reason decided to walk further up onto the moor, in the snow, on his own), we were definitely in the mood for some warm nosh.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

CTMK and I also like going to places like Kingswear, but we steer well clear of any such location at this time of year and prefer to go in winter or perhaps at 3 o'clock in the morning, when there's no one about.

I feel your pain, I went into town the other day to purchase some spectacles only to be confronted by a swarm of tourists, not the usual lot, but staycationers!  It's highly likely I have been infected by the 'rona from that lot too (time to shove yet another stick up my head).

As for chippies, Fishy Evans went years ago sadly but I heartily recommend Cod Down along the road from us in the big O.D.

• Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, bgman said:

Yep ! 
Just convert to O Gauge and run another poll on that scale !!! 

S.Pistol

I know of some really nice 7mm scale coaches going for £60 each; Bulleid 3 Set. That will get you started.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

(Almost) Final Call for Votes - GWR 00 Rolling Stock Mini-Poll No.11: Dining Cars 

Hello everyone

A reminder that your 'Polling Station' closes at midnight on Monday 30 August.

If you haven't already voted, please scroll back to page 1688 towards the bottom where you will find my posting of last Tuesday with full voting details. It is too much to repeat here!

Brian

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Tim Dubya said:

I feel your pain, I went into town the other day to purchase some spectacles only to be confronted by a swarm of tourists, not the usual lot, but staycationers!  It's highly likely I have been infected by the 'rona from that lot too (time to shove yet another stick up my head).

As for chippies, Fishy Evans went years ago sadly but I heartily recommend Cod Down along the road from us in the big O.D.

We're just back from our annual pilgrimage to parts west having heard about and witnessed many of the less endearing traits of the 'staycationers'. Using our own experience and the advice of local people we were largely able to keep away from them and have a good break. I have to say that the local people we met were - even in the face of extreme pressure - unfailingly helpful, cheerful, welcoming and  friendly which made it all the more upsetting to hear how some of them have been treated.

Hopefully by next year the undesirable  element will have cleared off to where they belong and the west country will be left to those of us who don't see it as some kind of giant theme park.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

23 hours ago, gwrrob said:

A bit of an anomaly this evening as we have an oil burner on a coal train. :scratchhead:Inspired , as always, by John C's Ocean wagons on Stoke Courtenay I did a similar cheat to get these two. I used a couple of Bachmann GWR grey 7 planks and resprayed them black before giving them to @toboldlygo to apply the tricky for me anyway , POWsides transfers. I usually make a pigs ear of these. I need some more South Wales candidates if anyone has a suggestion or two. Meanwhile 4855 heads west.

DSCN8147.JPG.06dba4642143d8915ce4614ef948995f.JPG2101261987_DSCN8148(2).JPG.f39a18b22d5ee7c9d610c1c73a4a6b61.JPGDSCN8149.JPG.c866e89cc5c6e851e39a89d3bd70dccf.JPGDSCN8150.JPG.dbb76df8d043b99a019892ec05e3eb09.JPG

I achieved a similar result with some Bachmann PO wagons and Modelmaster water slides . The transfers really snuggled down with Micro Sol . To clarify , the PO were in an later BR livery so were repainted black.

They run empty from London to the collieries 

image.jpg

Edited by 1466
Clarification
  • Like 14
  • Agree 1

I will vote for 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6.

My 8-wheel preference is 4 (is that stretching the 'just one' criteria?)

My 12-wheel preference is 5

My suggestion of other types would be H41 and H15

I would prefer to buy 1, 2, 3 and 4 in their original conditions.

There may only have been two H41 types but, to be fair, none of the catering vehicles were produced in large numbers. Anyone that wants to run the 'Bristolian' (in GWR days) ought to have one of these. There is the bonus of the preserved example at Swindon to promote sales, as indeed for the H39/H40 at (5) - the less said about the fate of the preserved H38, the better.

I appreciate the reasons that the poll team were reluctant to nominate a 70' vehicle but, since seventy footers were included in an earlier poll, I feel one example would be reasonable. I have suggested H15 since these appear to have been the most numerous of this length with 12 examples. Several managed to survive in service to the early 1960s. They are similar in appearance to a stretched H16.

Whilst an updated H33 is a good idea, I have not voted for this since I would be unlikely to buy one myself. I already have three of the older version (which I intend to 'improve') and, despite my earlier comment, there were only four of them. In any case, as noted they are very similar to the H25 (too much for both types to be manufactured?).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

@BMacdermott thanks again for an interesting and thought provoking poll.

My votes are for 2,3,4 & 6.

My ideal 8-wheel would be 2.

Ideal 12-wheel would be 6.

Others have commented on 4 costing a lot of length in a short formation. I am hoping for 8-car layout trains in future, but would much rather have a dining pair than an extra SK every once in a while. 

For my Torbay Express rake I have cut down to 2 BSKs, 2 SKs, 1 FK, 1 RU & 1 SO which I still think gives a reasonable balance and a nice variety.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I am really appreciative of these polls.

looking at these my. Items would be:
1,2,3 or 4

My absolute preference would be 4

I wouldn’t have a preference in 12 wheeled vehicles but of the two 5 is my choice as it was widely distributed across the GWR network

• Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, Nick Gough said:

Whilst an updated H33 is a good idea, I have not voted for this since I would be unlikely to buy one myself. I already have three of the older version (which I intend to 'improve') and, despite my earlier comment, there were only four of them. In any case, as noted they are very similar to the H25 (too much for both types to be manufactured?).

Hello Nick

One of the four H33s was rebuilt as H58 in 1952 - which (to my mind) reduces the potential of this diagram, given also that they never ran in BR Chocolate & Cream.

However, I can see the 'commercial appeal' for Hornby to make it as it 'fits' their Collett Bow End stock range.

Brian

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, BMacdermott said:

Hello Nick

One of the four H33s was rebuilt as H58 in 1952 - which (to my mind) reduces the potential of this diagram, given also that they never ran in BR Chocolate & Cream.

However, I can see the 'commercial appeal' for Hornby to make it as it 'fits' their Collett Bow End stock range.

Brian

There was one, 9580, that did get chocolate and cream but whilst in departmental service seen here at Reading in 1985. It was bought by Pete Waterman and moved to Bury. No idea where it is now.

Mike Wiltshire

1816454218_9580reading.jpg.a0fc7355a66a2b91e20523506a47eb64.jpg

• Like 8