A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

1 hour ago, Coach bogie said:

There was one, 9580, that did get chocolate and cream but whilst in departmental service seen here at Reading in 1985. It was bought by Pete Waterman and moved to Bury. No idea where it is now.

Mike Wiltshire

1816454218_9580reading.jpg.a0fc7355a66a2b91e20523506a47eb64.jpg

Call me old-fashioned, but why on earth has it got hand rails up the sides? Are you supposed to put your foot through the windows?
Someone will tell me they’re pipes , I expect.

Rich

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, Ashley Bridge said:

Call me old-fashioned, but why on earth has it got hand rails up the sides? Are you supposed to put your foot through the windows?
Someone will tell me they’re pipes , I expect.

Rich

I certainly assumed they are tank-fillers. 

• Agree 5

2 hours ago, BMacdermott said:

Hello Mike

Yes, that's the one that was rebuilt as H58 in 1952 and lasted in that guise until 1960. It is possibly at the East Lancs Railway.

Brian

I'm sure I saw it in use there in a recent TV series - 'Steam Train Britain ' - on the Yesterday channel.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

I certainly assumed they are tank-fillers. 

I assume it would have had two water supplies as it had toilet and kitchen so would need two tank fillers each side.

See my post of Aug 7th on here for photo of it on ELR (with no tank fillers on the visible end so maybe my assumption is wrong!).

Paul.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, gwrrob said:

The lure of riding behind an immaculately turned out modified Hall led me to the Battlefield line this morning. 

6989 Wightwick Hall is currently  on loan from The Bucks Railway Centre. I can also heartily recommend the bacon baps at the station cafe , Shackerstone.

DSCN8170.JPG.1ad26bb36b38d9fab0716012cacf178b.JPGDSCN8172.JPG.42265749573e9a98ee4c61c8748f6dab.JPGDSCN8173.JPG.1a44a40a427644a0ff3ac3a6a7044626.JPGDSCN8174.JPG.e021b3ec69c7939ab09e4afaf0ebf636.JPGDSCN8175.JPG.b6ae0681edf2b51fadf02d2f899adbda.JPG

Bacon Baps?

Such devilry needs to be stamped out, King Arthur and his Knights shall set forth to Battlefield with much haste and cleanse the the café using the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch.:jester:

For it is written..

'The bread shall be white

and thickly sliced,

a baguette however is acceptable.

The bacon shall be crispy,

it must be back

and the cure unsmoked.

The sauce must be Brown,

or Fruity

and butter isn't optional'

• Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, gwrrob said:

The lure of riding behind an immaculately turned out modified Hall led me to the Battlefield line this morning. 

6989 Wightwick Hall is currently  on loan from The Bucks Railway Centre. I can also heartily recommend the bacon baps at the station cafe , Shackerstone.

DSCN8170.JPG.1ad26bb36b38d9fab0716012cacf178b.JPGDSCN8172.JPG.42265749573e9a98ee4c61c8748f6dab.JPGDSCN8173.JPG.1a44a40a427644a0ff3ac3a6a7044626.JPGDSCN8174.JPG.e021b3ec69c7939ab09e4afaf0ebf636.JPGDSCN8175.JPG.b6ae0681edf2b51fadf02d2f899adbda.JPG

Decent paint job on that Rob.

• Agree 4
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, gwrrob said:

Here's what you could have won but due to loco crew and lamp shortages 6004 King George the third will have to wait.

1363952756_DSCN8167(2).JPG.f0caca8b006d80c2a77872d6c7085a4d.JPG

'And thee must wash your hands

After said bacon bap butty,

Else thou will get bacon grease fingerprints,

On your new loco' 

:jester::jester:

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold

Final Call for Votes - GWR 00 Rolling Stock Mini-Poll No.11: Dining Cars 

Hello everyone

A reminder that your 'Polling Station' closes at midnight tonight Monday 30 August.

If you haven't already voted, please scroll back to page 1688 towards the bottom where you will find my posting of last Tuesday with full voting details. It is too much to repeat here!

Results are expected on  Tuesday.

Brian

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I have also put this on the trains in Film and TV thread but at 18.35 today on Talking Pictures is a 1940 movie called Return to Yesterday where there is significant footage of the GWR at Paddington including departure scenes at the start and reuse of the Ghost train footage at Dawlish as the lead actor gets off the train to go to Teignmouth pier.

Final scene has a night train departing with milk tanks etc (actually Slough)

Mike Wiltshire

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Coach bogie said:

I have also put this on the trains in Film and TV thread but at 18.35 today on Talking Pictures is a 1940 movie called Return to Yesterday where there is significant footage of the GWR at Paddington...

More details here:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0031853/

Cheers film buff(er)s

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold

A late arrival at the Dining Car Ball  !

I vote for

2 H25. 

9 H33

Just need a compact dining car for cross country services!

This has been very instructive, so a big thank you to the team +1

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Hi all,

Ribird again with another question.

I'm looking to buy this Heljan Railcar, but wondering about what needs to be changed livery wise for a 1947 livery. Wasn't finding any notes on gwr.org. Would there be a second yellow line added, similar to the coach livery? Or just a simple switch to the twin cities crest?

Kernow Link for Heljan Railcar

Kernow Link for Dapol Railcar

Edited by Ribird
  • Like 1

Ah thank you! I think where the confusion lies in my head, is what livery they first received, which was the shirtbutton, not 'Great Western.' Those two words threw me off! My apologies!

Did any of the razor railcars make it to Brent?

Also, nice seeing your locos and layout now on the gwr.org.uk site Robin! 

• RMweb Premium

Now then, good afternoon folks.

You may recall a few pages back I asked for recommendations for a friend for plates for two of his GWR locos. Well, he's ordered the 3d printed ones from Railtec. They will be for 1368 and 4666 (the devil's pannier). 

There are options with these transfers and answering them all is beyond my friend's knowledge area and therefore we seek your assistance. 

The options are as follows: 

1- Which running number you would like; 1368 and 4666
2- Whether the running number should be lined or unlined; Presume unlined??
3- Which shed code; 72F Wadebridge
4- What power classification on what colour background (if any); no idea
5- What size crest (small is approx 10mm wide, medium 15mm wide); both small
6- Whether the crests should both be left-facing as standard? Both left facing.

Could anyone assist with answers to questions 2 and 4 please? Answers to suit early 60s period.

As way of bribery, here's some modelling...

IMG_20210830_161009_1.jpg.ef2d4a862b29bb28c029193a34304766.jpg

Typo corrected

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, gwrrob said:

A heads up for modellers of the Cornish railways as a collection of 4mm china clay models have been released. Several authentic liveries albeit on the Dapol model have been produced. Might be useful for upgrading.

http://www.users.waitrose.com/~21oldway/

I'd be a little careful with the Wessex site. Whilst they are heavily branded as "authentic", that may only apply to the livery style. The Dapol wagons they are applied to are not always appropriate for the wagon the livery was originally carried by.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Gold

I would suggest for no lining and 4 YELLOW C for the route classification on 4666. 1366 was uncoloured.

Here she is at Wadebridge in your timeframe.

4666.jpg.d9a956ea0019cf7952c4edde76880a2b.jpg

Edited by gwrrob
Colour change thanks to TrevorP1
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, 2ManySpams said:

I'd be a little careful with the Wessex site. Whilst they are heavily branded as "authentic", that may only apply to the livery style. The Dapol wagons they are applied to are not always appropriate for the wagon the livery was originally carried by.

Which is the case with a large proportion of r-t-r PO wagons of all brands.

At least, in this case, Dapol have utilised their 9' wheelbase 16' "wooden" underframe rather than the ex-Airfix 10' wheelbase 17'6" steel one that afflicts so many of both their and Hornby's subjects. 

John

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, 2ManySpams said:

2- Whether the running number should be lined or unlined; Presume unlined??

4- What power classification on what colour background (if any); no idea

1 hour ago, gwrrob said:

I would suggest for no lining and blue C for the route classification on 4666. 1366 was uncoloured.

I'd agree with no lining and 1366 uncoloured but as far as I'm aware 4666 would be blue for GWR but yellow for BR.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 3