A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, TrevorP1 said:

would be blue for GWR but yellow for BR.

It appears you are correct Trevor ,yellow C, as a look at my 9678 confirms.

post-126-0-87073500-1526215208.jpg.f49442d8210a0a373bc5a52e95c3bfee.jpg

• Like 14
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, gwrrob said:

A heads up for modellers of the Cornish railways as a collection of 4mm china clay models have been released. Several authentic liveries albeit on the Dapol model have been produced. Might be useful for upgrading.

http://www.users.waitrose.com/~21oldway/

Thanks for the link Rob. I'd like a couple of battered local ex-PO wagons so temptations there, especially the Parkin and Peters version. I'd been minded to do something similar to St Enodoc's Hornby ECC wagon. I presume the liveries are correct but that they should be on china clay wagons... 

I'm wondering if the china clay companies had their own open wagons for things other than china clay.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Another last minute vote in the latest poll, for which huge thanks as always Brian, Robin and team. 

I'd like to vote for the following, please:

2, 3, 6

For 7, I'd like to vote for the H25

For 8, I'd like to vote for the H57

For 9, I'd like to vote for the H33 - this is not to suggest it's in any way a better option than the H25 proposed, but if one were made in postwar GWR condition, I'd definitely buy one. I do wonder if it might be possible for a manufacturer to tool up for both the H25 and H33, and if they did, I would very likely buy one of each.

Thanks again poll team!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, TrevorP1 said:

I'd agree with no lining and 1366 uncoloured but as far as I'm aware 4666 would be blue for GWR but yellow for BR.

Thanks all, 

And just out of interest, what would apply for a 45xx (4569) in lined green? Again BR early 60s.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, 2ManySpams said:

Thanks all, 

And just out of interest, what would apply for a 45xx (4569) in lined green? Again BR early 60s.

Yellow route availability and lined number plate. Here’s some bedtime reading…

Ian Rathbone Model Painting

and

GWR Modelling 

It gets complicated! :scratchhead::D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, TrevorP1 said:

Thanks for the link Rob. I'd like a couple of battered local ex-PO wagons so temptations there, especially the Parkin and Peters version. I'd been minded to do something similar to St Enodoc's Hornby ECC wagon. I presume the liveries are correct but that they should be on china clay wagons... 

I'm wondering if the china clay companies had their own open wagons for things other than china clay.

They did, for coal.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Rob's link includes Betty and Tom's (no, they weren't a couple, just business partners!) quarry at Menheniot. The same firm also had a private siding near Port Isaac Road on the LSWR route to Padstow. Scope for LSWR/SR modellers, perhaps. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

As an aside,

someone broke a bridge in Plymouth with a lorry yesterday afternoon, apparently services are still running as single line with a 5mph speed limit.

I'm nipping down to Okehampton in a mo to start track laying towards Gunnislake  ;)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-58387682.amp

Edited by Tim Dubya
a bridge too far (low)
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Results – GWR 00 Rolling Stock Mini-Poll No.11: Dining Cars

Hello everyone

Many thanks to the 29 voters who took part. The number of votes to each item is shown in the left hand column and Comments Received are appended on a PDF as usual.

Please note that the results reflect the views of those who voted here and may not necessarily reflect those of the wider modelling community.

High Polling

25        Diag.H25 Compo Diner

20        Diag.H38 Compo Diner

Middle Polling

18        Diag.H16 Unclassed Diner

16        Diag.H57 Compo Diner 12-wheel

Low Polling

12        Diag.H39 & Diag.H40 2-car Set (Kitchen First & Diner Third)

11        Diag.H55 Buffet Car 12-wheel

Preference – 8-wheel

9          H25 Compo Diner

Preference – 12-wheel

7          H57 Buffet Car 12-wheel

Your suggestions for GWR Dining Cars not listed:

7          H33 Compo Diner

3          H41 Buffet Car

1          H8, H15, H26, H27, H29, H30/H31/H32 3-car set, H43, H49

We will be back tomorrow, Wednesday 1 September, with GWR 00 Rolling Stock Mini-Poll No.12: Slips & Sleepers. This will run as usual until 17.00 on Saturday 4 September.

Brian

(Note: These are ‘informal Polls for fun’ on Rob’s thread only and neither RMweb nor The 00 Wishlist Poll Team are specifically involved, apart from me, John, Chris and Ian in our ‘personal capacities’.)

GWR Mini-Poll No.11 Dining Cars Comments Received.pdf

• Like 3
  • Thanks 6

19 hours ago, Tim Dubya said:

As an aside,

someone broke a bridge in Plymouth with a lorry yesterday afternoon, apparently services are still running as single line with a 5mph speed limit.

I'm nipping down to Okehampton in a mo to start track laying towards Gunnislake  ;)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-58387682.amp

I don't know if this is an update, out-of-date, or just plain wrong, but the Metro newspaper said that all services were suspended. Mind you, they also said the accident happened at "Mannamead, near Plymouth" when any dam fool can see that from the photo that it's actually Ashford Road bridge down by the old Lipson Vale Halt.

Maybe Rob could run a replacement bus service from Brent?  :)

• Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

GWR 00 Rolling Stock Mini-Poll No.12: Slips & Sleepers  

Hello everyone

Welcome to the twelfth in our series of GWR 00 Rolling Stock Mini-Polls. I am running them here with my friends, John Lewis, Chris Knowles-Thomas and Ian Taylor on Rob’s behalf.

Please note that all but one of the Diag.F16 were re-classified as Non-gangwayed Brake Composites in 1954. Also please note that what we list as Diag.F25, was never actually given that number – and there was probably no actual diagram. These vehicles are the 1958 BR conversions of Hawksworth Diag.E164 BCKs. We have called them Diag.F25 here for pragmatic convenience.

We have given an indication of the number of vehicles built but we simply cannot list every incarnation! The makers are tending to ‘tool up’ to cover as many variants as are commercially viable. For us, the mantra is: If it looks like a Double Ended Slip Compo, it probably is.

In order to generate some debate – and some ‘learning opportunities’ – please feel free to explain why you have chosen your selections. I copy all ‘Comments Received’ in order of receipt – but with names removed – and post them as a PDF with the Results.

Please note that we do not welcome comments that act as an excuse to start up the old chestnut of ‘kits vs RTR’!

Here’s what to do…

1. You may vote for any or all of the items listed plus suggestions at 12 & 13 (if you so wish).

2. They must be items you would realistically wish to buy if made RTR at ‘affordable prices’.

3. Submit your entries on this thread simply as (for example): 2, 4, 7 – with comments and explanations following.

4. If you vote by PM, please only list your selection of numbers without explanations.

Slips – Single End

1          Diag.F14 Single End Slip Compo. Two vehicles. ‘Toplight’. 1908 to 1957.

2          Diag.F20 Single End Slip Compo. Three vehicles. 1913 to 1958.

Slips – Double End

3          Diag.F15 Double End Slip Compo. Three vehicles. 1909 to 1956.

4          Diag.F16 Double End Slip Compo. Ten vehicles. 1909 to 1958.

5          Diag.F23 Double End Slip Compo. Three vehicles. Cornish Riviera. 1929 to 1959.

6          Diag.F24 Double End Slip Compo. Six vehicles. 1938 to 1963.

7          Diag.F25 Double End Slip Compo. Three vehicles. (1958 BR conversions Hawksworth Diag.E164 BCKs)

Sleepers – 8-wheel

8          Diag.J11 Sleeper Third. Collett. Nine vehicles. 1929 to 1961.

9          Diag.J16 Sleeper First. Churchward originally. One vehicle. Converted. Lasted to 1962

Sleepers – 12-wheel

10        Diag.J12 Sleeper First. Collett. Eight vehicles. 1930 to 1961.

11        Diag.J18 Sleeper First. Hawksworth. Four vehicles. 1950 to 1970.

12 Your suggestions for Slip Coaches not listed.

13 Your suggestions for Sleepers not listed.

Get your thinking caps on and get voting! I will acknowledge receipt of your vote via the ‘Thx’ tick box.

You have until 17.00 on Saturday 4 September. However, I will stop earlier and advise if votes reach 50. I will present the results during the day on Sunday 5 September.

I look forward to your selections and comments!

Brian

(Note: These are ‘informal Polls for fun’ on Rob’s thread only and neither RMweb nor The 00 Wishlist Poll Team are specifically involved, apart from me, John, Chris and Ian in our ‘personal capacities’.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

• RMweb Premium

I know nothing about slips but absolutely love the look of the things, would they have been cascaded down to other work when no longer on the mainlines?

Looking for an excuse to have one on a ex Southern BLT in the Wyld West (not fussed which dia, must do some reading).

Cheers

Edited by Tim Dubya
location, location, location
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, BMacdermott said:

Hello everyone

Welcome to the twelfth in our series of GWR 00 Rolling Stock Mini-Polls. I am running them here with my friends, John Lewis, Chris Knowles-Thomas and Ian Taylor on Rob’s behalf.

Please note that all but one of the Diag.F16 were re-classified as Non-gangwayed Brake Composites in 1954. Also please note that what we list as Diag.F25, was never actually given that number – and there was probably no actual diagram. These vehicles are the 1958 BR conversions of Hawksworth Diag.E164 BCKs. We have called them Diag.F25 here for pragmatic convenience.

We have given an indication of the number of vehicles built but we simply cannot list every incarnation! The makers are tending to ‘tool up’ to cover as many variants as are commercially viable. For us, the mantra is: If it looks like a Double Ended Slip Compo, it probably is.

In order to generate some debate – and some ‘learning opportunities’ – please feel free to explain why you have chosen your selections. I copy all ‘Comments Received’ in order of receipt – but with names removed – and post them as a PDF with the Results.

Please note that we do not welcome comments that act as an excuse to start up the old chestnut of ‘kits vs RTR’!

Here’s what to do…

1. You may vote for any or all of the items listed plus suggestions at 12 & 13 (if you so wish).

2. They must be items you would realistically wish to buy if made RTR at ‘affordable prices’.

3. Submit your entries on this thread simply as (for example): 2, 4, 7 – with comments and explanations following.

4. If you vote by PM, please only list your selection of numbers without explanations.

Slips – Single End

1          Diag.F14 Single End Slip Compo. Two vehicles. ‘Toplight’. 1908 to 1957.

Slips – Double End

5          Diag.F23 Double End Slip Compo. Three vehicles. Cornish Riviera. 1929 to 1959.

7          Diag.F25 Double End Slip Compo. Three vehicles. (1958 BR conversions Hawksworth Diag.E164 BCKs)

Sleepers – 8-wheel

9          Diag.J16 Sleeper First. Churchward originally. One vehicle. Converted. Lasted to 1962

Sleepers – 12-wheel

Based on my working time table there is only one service in each direction which contained a slip coach.  So in all honestly I am only likely to buy one.   For this I would happily buy 3, 4, 5 or 6, of which the more numerous F16 or F24 would be the preference.

Sleeper wise I already have one kit built J12 from BSL, however again looking at the timetable there are workings with multiple sleepers.  I would be needing a single J11 third and two or 3 J12, so will vote for 8 and 10

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
51 minutes ago, Tim Dubya said:

I know nothing about slips but absolutely love the look of the things, would they have been cascaded down to other work when no longer on the mainlines?

Looking for an excuse to have one on a ex Southern BLT in the Wyld West (not fussed which dia, must do some reading).

Cheers

Yes the slips most definitely would have been cascaded down when no longer needed to slip.

The Henley branch train was two carriages, with typically one slip as part of the consist.

Edited by Neal Ball
Typo
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, BMacdermott said:

Hello everyone

Here’s what to do…

Slips – Single End

Slips – Double End

Sleepers – 8-wheel

Sleepers – 12-wheel

11        Diag.J18 Sleeper First. Hawksworth. Four vehicles. 1950 to 1970.

12 Your suggestions for Slip Coaches not listed.

13 Your suggestions for Sleepers not listed.

Get your thinking caps on and get voting! I will acknowledge receipt of your vote via the ‘Thx’ tick box.

You have until 17.00 on Saturday 4 September. However, I will stop earlier and advise if votes reach 50. I will present the results during the day on Sunday 5 September.

I look forward to your selections and comments!

Brian

Thanks Brian,

I suspect we are getting into the realms of very niche items of rolling stock, even more so than the dining carriages.

On the Henley on Thames branch, the branch train was often made up of former slip carriages, cascaded down from their original duties. Therefore, I can easily see a use for one or two.

In which case my choices would be 1. and 3 The Dia F14 and F15 single and double slips.

Sleeping carriages would be interesting, but unlikely to see use at Henley on Thames. 

Thank you anyway.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold
42 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

Hi Brian,

Number 7 please, but in the form assumed after being "de-slipped" and transferred to the Somerset & Dorset for use in local/branch trains.

I suspect that might appeal to you also....

Regards

John

Thanks John

That version is actually coming up in the Non-gangwayed Mini-Poll.

Sorry...I should have made it clearer!

Brian

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My choices - 4, 8, 10

As noted by another poster, we are getting very niche with these though at least with the slip coaches that may actually help a manufacturer as sometimes niche and unique sells simply because it is different - see Revolution Trains and the Caroline Inspection saloon.

Despite my above choices, really any of them would be acceptable given they would be more of a nice to have as opposed to trying to recreate a prototype - and so to that end I chose those that had the most built simply on the basis of offering a manufacturer more choices of coach numbers to offer across multiple paint schemes without duplicating - thus making multiple purchases potentially easier.

• Thanks 2

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Pendennis said:

Brian

I have to echo what others have said, these are very niche prototypes, too niche for me. In all honesty I wouldn't be in the market for one of these; I'll pass on this Poll.

Martin

I have to agree, sorry.

• Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold
45 minutes ago, Pendennis said:

Brian

I have to echo what others have said, these are very niche prototypes, too niche for me. In all honesty I wouldn't be in the market for one of these; I'll pass on this Poll.

Martin

Hello Martin and others who are thinking similarly

There is no need for 'apology' for not voting as I realise that we are in 'niche territory' - in fact, it is vital that we hear a full range of views so that the makers 'get the right message'.

I'm not at all 'bovvered' by a potential low turn-out on this one as it is expected. But if we hadn't put Slips and Sleepers in somewhere, someone would have queried why we weren't listing them! In fact, we had a fair struggle to juggle various types of stock around so that we didn't overload certain Mini-Polls and run almost 'light' with others.

You'll no doubt have more to vote for in the remaining two - No.13 Non-gangwayed and No.14 Autocoaches.

A statement of a non-vote is as important as an actual vote here. And I have only voted for one item myself.

Brian

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1