A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

Many thanks Brian, Robin and team.

I'd like to vote for 10, please - I have one kit-built J12 but need another for my layout set in 1947 Cornwall. In that year, there were from memory two down services from Paddington to Penzance that each had a first sleeper attached through the Duchy, and a Penzance to Paddington return which carried them both back out of Cornwall. 

Sadly no slips though, as far as I'm aware, which is a shame as they are generally attractive and interesting vehicles. 

Thanks again,

Ben

Edited by BenL
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, BMacdermott said:

GWR 00 Rolling Stock Mini-Poll No.12: Slips & Sleepers  

Hello everyone

Welcome to the twelfth in our series of GWR 00 Rolling Stock Mini-Polls. I am running them here with my friends, John Lewis, Chris Knowles-Thomas and Ian Taylor on Rob’s behalf.

Please note that all but one of the Diag.F16 were re-classified as Non-gangwayed Brake Composites in 1954. Also please note that what we list as Diag.F25, was never actually given that number – and there was probably no actual diagram. These vehicles are the 1958 BR conversions of Hawksworth Diag.E164 BCKs. We have called them Diag.F25 here for pragmatic convenience.

We have given an indication of the number of vehicles built but we simply cannot list every incarnation! The makers are tending to ‘tool up’ to cover as many variants as are commercially viable. For us, the mantra is: If it looks like a Double Ended Slip Compo, it probably is.

In order to generate some debate – and some ‘learning opportunities’ – please feel free to explain why you have chosen your selections. I copy all ‘Comments Received’ in order of receipt – but with names removed – and post them as a PDF with the Results.

Please note that we do not welcome comments that act as an excuse to start up the old chestnut of ‘kits vs RTR’!

Here’s what to do…

1. You may vote for any or all of the items listed plus suggestions at 12 & 13 (if you so wish).

2. They must be items you would realistically wish to buy if made RTR at ‘affordable prices’.

3. Submit your entries on this thread simply as (for example): 2, 4, 7 – with comments and explanations following.

4. If you vote by PM, please only list your selection of numbers without explanations.

Slips – Single End

1          Diag.F14 Single End Slip Compo. Two vehicles. ‘Toplight’. 1908 to 1957.

2          Diag.F20 Single End Slip Compo. Three vehicles. 1913 to 1958.

Slips – Double End

3          Diag.F15 Double End Slip Compo. Three vehicles. 1909 to 1956.

4          Diag.F16 Double End Slip Compo. Ten vehicles. 1909 to 1958.

5          Diag.F23 Double End Slip Compo. Three vehicles. Cornish Riviera. 1929 to 1959.

6          Diag.F24 Double End Slip Compo. Six vehicles. 1938 to 1963.

7          Diag.F25 Double End Slip Compo. Three vehicles. (1958 BR conversions Hawksworth Diag.E164 BCKs)

Sleepers – 8-wheel

8          Diag.J11 Sleeper Third. Collett. Nine vehicles. 1929 to 1961.

9          Diag.J16 Sleeper First. Churchward originally. One vehicle. Converted. Lasted to 1962

Sleepers – 12-wheel

10        Diag.J12 Sleeper First. Collett. Eight vehicles. 1930 to 1961.

11        Diag.J18 Sleeper First. Hawksworth. Four vehicles. 1950 to 1970.

12 Your suggestions for Slip Coaches not listed.

13 Your suggestions for Sleepers not listed.

Get your thinking caps on and get voting! I will acknowledge receipt of your vote via the ‘Thx’ tick box.

You have until 17.00 on Saturday 4 September. However, I will stop earlier and advise if votes reach 50. I will present the results during the day on Sunday 5 September.

I look forward to your selections and comments!

Brian

(Note: These are ‘informal Polls for fun’ on Rob’s thread only and neither RMweb nor The 00 Wishlist Poll Team are specifically involved, apart from me, John, Chris and Ian in our ‘personal capacities’.)

My ( conditional) votes would be Number 1or Number 3 .

If only  one were to be made , I would prefer number 1 .

As to why conditional;

First I would have to be flush with cash

Secondly , I would have to dream up a rationale such as a Director or VIP living “up the line “. Such a powerful or influential person who would be able to order  a slip working out of Paddington and then attached to a cross country working . Or Rule 1 applies .

On preference; I like Toplights .

As always , thanks for a thoughtful well organised poll .

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi Brian

I would buy one of 3, 4 or 6………. No particular preference

Not sure whether this counts as a vote or an informative abstention!

I will pass on the sleepers

Thanks again for all the work involved

Regards

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Premium

Brian,

I would buy 1 or two  any of 1-6  but not them all.  Any two would do.

and either one 8 or one 9

7 and 11 are too late for me, and I have a J12.   That's why they don't get my vote.

Thanks,

• Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold

3 F15 or 4 F16

12 f10

Clerestory, Tri compoiste, 12 off, Double ended, double loo, built up to 1903, ; seen in service variously Bournemouth to Glasgow apart from GW; what more do you want ((;-))

• Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold
On 30/08/2021 at 13:11, Miss Prism said:

Some location details

I think some of the film sequences appeared in one of John Huntley's  Steam on 35mm series. On the reelstreets site, the 'unknown station' in capture 17 is Ealing Broadway I think.

I'll have a fiver on the Down Main platform at Southall - splitting signal at the end of the platform, Platform 3 visible on the right.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
On 30/08/2021 at 17:13, 2ManySpams said:

Now then, good afternoon folks.

You may recall a few pages back I asked for recommendations for a friend for plates for two of his GWR locos. Well, he's ordered the 3d printed ones from Railtec. They will be for 1368 and 4666 (the devil's pannier). 

There are options with these transfers and answering them all is beyond my friend's knowledge area and therefore we seek your assistance. 

The options are as follows: 

1- Which running number you would like; 1366 and 4666
2- Whether the running number should be lined or unlined; Presume unlined??
3- Which shed code; 72F Wadebridge
4- What power classification on what colour background (if any); no idea
5- What size crest (small is approx 10mm wide, medium 15mm wide); both small
6- Whether the crests should both be left-facing as standard? Both left facing.

Could anyone assist with answers to questions 2 and 4 please? Answers to suit early 60s period.

As way of bribery, here's some modelling...

Slight problem as 1366 was one of the class that never went to Wadebridge - it was withdrawn in 1961.  The first one to go there was 1368 in May 1962 then 1367 and 1369 followed in  August that year.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
58 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

Slight problem as 1366 was one of the class that never went to Wadebridge - it was withdrawn in 1961.  The first one to go there was 1368 in May 1962 then 1367 and 1369 followed in  August that year.

Typo Mike - should have read 1368.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Brian and the rest of your team. Another interesting albeit "niche" selection of vehicles.

7 ("F25") would be my only purchase. I remember seeing these on the back of the Up Limited from time to time.

No. 11 (J18) are truly impressive looking vehicles, I remember seeing them stabled at O.O.Common, and there is one on the SVR at Arley, and another one at Didcot.  I do not need another sleeper as I already have a Mk1 in my Miscellaneous train which represents the sort of mix of vehicles being returned from Works after overhaul or new ones being delivered. If aJ18 were made, I might have to reconsider!

Thanks again,

Bazza

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Premium

Much head scratching for the slips and sleepers poll! (And you will slip if you walk on the sleepers....).

The slips were easy. Attractive though they are, I must try to stick to what (least might have) run in Cornwall so none for me thanks.

This leaves the sleepers and I have spent some time poring over CWNs, plus Becket, Russell and Harris - I must get a life! :D . One of the trains in my sequence is the down 'papers' and this did convey two sleeping cars. Currently I just ignore this fact!

I have never seen a photo of this train but I would imagine that the 'best stock' would not have been used, so firstly I will plump for choice  9 the Diag.J16 Sleeper First conversion. Russell tells us that this was part of the SHEAF train, and Harris that it was once a J9 sleeper composite. 

For similar reasons my second/third class vehicle is a No.13 choice, the three 57' sleeper 3rds of diagram J14. These lasted till 1962.

Of course I would only need one of each but 'don't ask, don't get' as they say!

I hope this is clear Brian, my poor brain is about done in with all this searching through books, papers and computer files!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2