A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

Brian

My votes are for 2, 3, 8 and 9.

As you haven't specified any particular diagrams of clerestory, under 2, I would suggest the following three:

C10 - 46' 6" All Third - 1894-1958.

323 constructed (if I've added the lots correctly!) - 109 survived Nationalisation.

The same type as the restored Didcot clerestory.

D24 - 50' Van Third - 1897-1950.

85 constructed - 28 survived Nationalisation.

E55 - 54' 6" Lavatory Composite - 1887 - 1948

10 constructed - 1 survived Nationalisation (just!)

No Lav composites were constructed after the clerestory era, but the designation continued to feature in many train formations, in the London Div local coach books, at least up to WW2.

I appreciate the differing lengths might not appeal to manufacturers.

I have not voted for number 1 - 4-wheelers, even though these were still in use on the Wallingford branch up to to the early 1930s (Van Third - Composite - Van Third), since Ratio have this covered for my needs.

Similarly, number 4 - 'Main Line & City'. These are classed as 'Local C Trains' in the pre-war London coach books, in which they have 8 working diagrams on weekdays. However, working from the capital, these shew the normal destinations as Uxbridge and Windsor, with no workings further west.

I have also not voted for any 'B' sets since there were no workings for any of these in the London Division.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

On 04/09/2021 at 17:50, Neal Ball said:

Let's not talk down the prospect of catering vehicles for the GWR - if they were potentially going to be such poor sellers, we wouldn't have Hornby tooling up SR carriages at the moment.

We live in hope that Hornby and/or Bachmann continue to tool up new GWR carriages, to include restaurant and maybe even some 1930's buffet cars.

Thanks!

Thanks for another poll, Brian and the team.

1,2 & 3 for me please with the possibility of 4.

I think I'm likely to be in a small minority, here.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
48 minutes ago, 2ManySpams said:

Morning all.

My friend that knows very little about GWR coaches would like to vote for whichever 2-coach B Set diagrams would have realistically run between Bodmin and Wadebridge.

Here's a clue:

6 Collett B-set 61ft Bow Ended Diag.E140

• Built between 1930 and 1931. Examples lasted until 1962.
  • Forty-one sets with 7ft bogies. Recessed door handles.
  • Have been allocated to: Bodmin, Bridport, Bristol, Cardiff, Helston, Kingham, Kingsbridge, Leamington, Stratford, Worcester, Taunton, St Ives, Wellington & Crewe.
  • The old Airfix (now Hornby) models represent this type.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, 2ManySpams said:

Morning all.

My friend that knows very little about GWR coaches would like to vote for whichever 2-coach B Set diagrams would have realistically run between Bodmin and Wadebridge.

Has you friend arranged Therapy?

Dr.Robert.

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Here's a clue:

6 Collett B-set 61ft Bow Ended Diag.E140

• Built between 1930 and 1931. Examples lasted until 1962.
  • Forty-one sets with 7ft bogies. Recessed door handles.
  • Have been allocated to: Bodmin, Bridport, Bristol, Cardiff, Helston, Kingham, Kingsbridge, Leamington, Stratford, Worcester, Taunton, St Ives, Wellington & Crewe.
  • The old Airfix (now Hornby) models represent this type.

Maybe his 'friend' thought Bodmin was only on the GWR and sort of overlooked the fact that the GWR provided a service between the Cornish mainline and Wadebridge/Padstow?

• Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Maybe his 'friend' thought Bodmin was only on the GWR and sort of overlooked the fact that the GWR provided a service between the Cornish mainline and Wadebridge/Padstow?

I have already mentioned to my friend that photos of various 2-coach ex-GWR coaches on the Bodmin General to Wadebridge service exist. They don't all seem to be the same, hence my question as we weren't sure if just one of the descriptions mentioning Bodmin was complete.

I can however fully understand the need for you GWR types to have a updated version of the old Airfix B-set coaches. Long overdue.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, 2ManySpams said:

I have already mentioned to my friend that photos of various 2-coach ex-GWR coaches on the Bodmin General to Wadebridge service exist. They don't all seem to be the same, hence my question as we weren't sure if just one of the descriptions mentioning Bodmin was complete.

I can however fully understand the need for you GWR types to have a updated version of the old Airfix B-set coaches. Long overdue.

Hello

I have just found a photo of a 45xx about to depart Wadebridge for Bodmin General. The coach visible next the loco is W6881W - which is a Diag.E147.

Brian

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, BMacdermott said:

Hello

I have just found a photo of a 45xx about to depart Wadebridge for Bodmin General. The coach visible next the loco is W6881W - which is a Diag.E147.

Brian

Hi Brian, my friend suspected it was more than just the E140s.

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

So based on discussion Brian, and on behalf of my friend and other West of England modellers, it would be a vote for 5 and 6. 

But if 7 is a 5 with different bogies, then it sounds like a no brainer to do that diagram too.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, 2ManySpams said:

Has your friend taken a look at this thread as apparently Bodmin had more than one station.:rolleyes:

• Funny 7