A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

Voting for 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 11

4, being short, could be interesting for a GWR themed minories layout.

But what has become apparent, looking at both this week's poll entries and anticipating next weeks, is despite the popularity of the GWR BLT as a layout subject you can't really do such a layout accurately with modern accurate RTR stock - the B-sets and Auto Trailers don't exist.  Which seems a strange omission given the perceived popularity of the GWR and it's branch lines.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

Your friend seems altogether too knowledgeable for his (or her) own good!

I can neither confirm or deny whether my friend has an excess or deficit of knowledge in his/her noggin pertaining to GWR B sets which would result in a positive or negative wellbeing outcome. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Thanks Robin for the clarification of the livery for the Heljan Railcar! It arrived safety and seems to be a really good model! In the same order I received the Kernow LSWR roadvan and Hornby K1. Also received separately in the last week or so, is the IOW exclusive EFE Rail/Kernow O2 "Calbourne"

image.png.6c56d556fe638ef2833299d9788229b8.pngimage.png.f094d68a2487aa0b07cb0942a5a4884f.png

image.png.0667c00f40adc2a4e4741e76e8685642.png

Edited by Ribird
  • Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Now then GWR folks, you know that pesky friend I have... Well they are wondering where the rectangular black panels should go on his 1368, 4666 and 4569. Could anyone provide enlightenment please?

rps20210910_181710.jpg.c1193fdd4454f7d5aca0ff2ca28243e4.jpg

PS, are the smokebox doors on all Bachmann 8750 locos not straight?

rps20210910_182525.jpg.542aa9e5ca23f6c903f9d5cc2348bda0.jpg

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, 2ManySpams said:

Now then GWR folks, you know that pesky friend I have... Well they are wondering where the rectangular black panels should go on his 1368, 4666 and 4569. Could anyone provide enlightenment please?

rps20210910_181710.jpg.c1193fdd4454f7d5aca0ff2ca28243e4.jpg

PS, are the smokebox doors on all Bachmann 8750 locos not straight?

In the cab on the side sheets, above and in front of the drivers and fireman position. Eye levelish. A limited clearance warning IIRC.

Edited by TrevorP1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, TrevorP1 said:

In the cab on the side sheets, above and in front of the drivers and fireman position. Eye levelish. A limited clearance warning IIRC.

Thanks Trevor, no wonder you don't see them in photos! Going to be tricky to fit.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

Another Mini-Poll response: I don't have a great need for non-gangwayed coaches and having bought a rake of the recent Hornby Colletts I'd find it hard to justify any more.  However a couple of 2021 standard B-Sets would not go amiss.  The Hawksworth stock is too late for me.

I'd buy a couple of pairs of any B-sets that are listed, but 5 and 6 would probably be my preference.

Thanks again Brian for all the background work you and the team have done, and thanks to Robin for allowing all of us to intrude on his thread!

Martin

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Ribird said:

Thanks Robin for the clarification of the livery for the Heljan Railcar! It arrived safety and seems to be a really good model! In the same order I received the Kernow LSWR roadvan and Hornby K1. Also received separately in the last week or so, is the IOW exclusive EFE Rail/Kernow O2 "Calbourne"

image.png.6c56d556fe638ef2833299d9788229b8.pngimage.png.f094d68a2487aa0b07cb0942a5a4884f.png

image.png.0667c00f40adc2a4e4741e76e8685642.png

That’s what in posh talk you’d describe an eclectic mix. The railcar is on the money in that livery which is as it should be.I can’t say I like it in crimson & cream though.For my taste it doesn’t suit . The O2 is eye catching but don’t be tempted to hang a prototypical IOW rake behind it. The mechanism etc,is not noted for its haulage capability. Run it in forever and you might get some improvement.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

5,6,7 for me, with a leaning towards 5. I have a couple of Airfix B sets tucked away, one half converted, so would not be upset if 5 came out first for some variety. Obviously better versions of 6 (ones that are an actual diagram rather than a mish-mash) and the 7s would be welcome too and save conversion work.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi Brian

5, 6 and 11 for me

It will be good to bring my B Sets up to the standard of the Hornby Collet 4 car sets. I like the idea of adding a Hawksworth as a strengthener to the latter.

Thanks again to you and your team......and Rob of course

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2, 3 and 4 for me.

2 Dean Non-Gangwayed Clerestory Coaches

3 Churchward 56ft 11¼in ‘Toplight’ Steel Panelled Non-gangwayed Coaches

4 Churchward and Collett 'Main Line & City' coaches

I have enough of the later types from either RTR (Hornby/etc) or in the form of flat packed brass.  Likewise the Ratio and Shirescenes kits will do me for 4 wheelers.

It's quality GWR coaches built from 1900 to 1930 that I feel is lacking.

Jason

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold

My votes go to (any) B-set, as pretty much all of them seem to have put in appearances at my personal "places of interest" from time to time. 

My real favourite would be the Hawksworth Slip coaches as subsequently converted to non-corridor brake composites for branch line use.

John

• Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold

Final Call for Votes - GWR 00 Rolling Stock Mini-Poll No.13: Non-gangwayed Coaches

Hello everyone

A reminder that your 'Polling Station' closes at midnight tonight with Results expected tomorrow.

If you haven't already voted, please scroll back to my posting of Wednesday about half way down page 1699 for full details.

Brian

(Note: These are ‘informal Polls for fun’ on Rob’s thread only and neither RMweb nor The 00 Wishlist Poll Team are specifically involved, apart from me, John, Chris and Ian in our ‘personal capacities’.)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I've resisted joining in the voting so far, largely because I'm a BR(W) modeller and didn't want to distort the voting in any way (in so far as 1 vote counts!) However, trying to put myself in the position of the manufacturers, I do really think that the lack of a decent B set is a major gap in the RTR market which would undoubtedly be a good seller and would appeal to both GWR and WR period modellers.

My initial vote would be for 6 or 7 as the dia 140s and 145s are more interesting to look at with their bow ends, slightly bulging tumblehomes and their recessed handles and grabs. However, Hornby's recent forays into GWR coaching stock have all been bow ended, so from the manufacturer's perspective, it might be better to go for a different style of coach, so my vote goes to 5, the dia 147. Not only were they numerous and widely distributed, a few also ran as singles. 

Thanks to the guys who are organising the poll. Let's hope the Trade take some notice of it.

David C

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1