A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

If anyone can tell me which Autos went to Seaton Junction in 1963, not only will I buy them an Ice Cream next year, but I will vote for it/them if it/them is on the list. I thank you.

Good evening all.

Phil

This photo suggests a Hawksworth, like the Bachmann one:

https://hmrs.org.uk/photographs/0-6-0pt-br-64xx-6430-enters-seaton-junction-on-passenger-train-uq-sig.html

as do a couple of photos on this page:

http://www.cornwallrailwaysociety.org.uk/the-seaton-branch.html

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

None of those listed but I would apply Rule to one of the ex TVR trailers because they looked so totally different from the GWR vehicles.  Definitely out of period but as I say Rule 1 can apply although the chances of even finding a drawing let alone producing one are very limited.  Otherwise I already have all the driving trailers I'm ever likely to need.

Hello Mike

Is that a suggestion for 13? I'm sorry but I'm not au fait with many of the Autocoaches.

Brian

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Thank you.

P

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, BMacdermott said:

Hello Mike

Is that a suggestion for 13? I'm sorry but I'm not au fait with many of the Autocoaches.

Brian

I suppose it is Brian but I can't give any information regarding the Diagram Numbers they were given by the GWR.  There seem to have been two different versions one group being converted steam rail motor coaches 54ft1" long -  example WR running numbers are W1312W (with toplights still in place) which survived until at least 1956 and W1317W which was withdrawn in 1955 (but had no toplights visible ina 1951 photo).  W4023 is quoted in one source as being built as an auto trailer but is basically similar with a slightly different window arrangement and also had toplights.  All examples I can find photos of were gangwayed.

So yes please add these  in response to 13.   Would you also please add No.3 for me as I have now found examples running in South Wales in the early 1950s.

Thanks,

Mike

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

I suppose it is Brian but I can't give any information regarding the Diagram Numbers they were given by the GWR.  There seem to have been two different versions one group being converted steam rail motor coaches 54ft1" long -  example WR running numbers are W1312W (with toplights still in place) which survived until at least 1956 and W1317W which was withdrawn in 1955 (but had no toplights visible ina 1951 photo).  W4023 is quoted in one source as being built as an auto trailer but is basically similar with a slightly different window arrangement and also had toplights.  All examples I can find photos of were gangwayed.

So yes please add these  in response to 13.   Would you also please add No.3 for me as I have now found examples running in South Wales in the early 1950s.

Thanks,

Mike

Many thanks Mike.

I have looked through the Longworth book and can see those now. Duly noted as 'suggestions'.

Brian

• Thanks 1

I'm really surprised that Kernow has not got around to offering an A.26; even if they had not produced it at the same time as the Railmotor, a “stakeholder” announcement would surely have been a warning to anyone else to stay away!  Similarly I was surprised Hattons didn't commission an Auto Trailer when they did the 14xx/48xx a while back, surely it was low hanging fruit even then.

Like others have said, I think a wood-panelled or matchboard sided Auto Trailer would have a lot of appeal as it is "something different" so I'll plump 2 and 3; the former had long service lives, whilst 5, 6 and 7 were quite numerous.

Note that in the unlikely event of all the above appearing, I wouldn’t buy them ALL but I would be in the market for at least two 2021 standard vehicles.

Martin

Edited by Pendennis
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Premium
On 15/09/2021 at 09:45, BMacdermott said:

GWR 00 Rolling Stock Mini-Poll No.14: Autocoaches

Hello everyone

Welcome to the fourteenth and final GWR 00 Rolling Stock Mini-Poll. I am running this here with my friends, John Lewis, Chris Knowles-Thomas and Ian Taylor on Rob’s behalf.

Note from John:

Auto Trailers have been variously called ‘Push-pull’, ‘Motor Train,’ ‘Auto Coaches’, ‘Auto Cars’, ‘Auto Trains’, ‘Auto Trailers’ or simply ‘Trailers’.

To operate an ‘Auto Train’, you need a push-pull fitted tank engine or a Steam Railmotor (SRM) and at least one Trailer equipped with a driving compartment. This had to be coupled to the loco with the driving compartment at the opposite end to the engine. There were some Intermediate Trailers which did not have a driver’s compartment. They had to go between the loco and a driving trailer.

Only the Diag.A44 Driving Trailers were given trailer series numbers.

In order to generate some debate – and some ‘learning opportunities’ – please feel free to explain why you have chosen your selections. I copy all ‘Comments Received’ in order of receipt – but with names removed – and post them as a PDF with the Results.

Please note that we do not welcome comments that act as an excuse to start up the old chestnut of ‘kits vs RTR’!

Here’s what to do…

1. You may vote for any or all of the items listed plus suggestions at 13 & 14 (if you so wish).

2. They must be items you would realistically wish to buy if made RTR at ‘affordable prices’.

3. Submit your entries on this thread simply as (for example): 2, 4, 7 – with comments and explanations following.

4. If you vote by PM, please only list your selection of numbers without explanations.

Auto Trailers with Driver’s Compartment:

1 Diags.J & N of 1906/7

• Churchward Wood-panelled 59ft 6in.

2 Diags.E, L, P, T & U of 1905

• Churchward Wood-panelled 70ft.

3 Diags.Z, A6, A7 & A9 of 1915-1920

• Churchward ex-Steam Railmotor Matchboarded 59ft 6¾in.

4 Diags.A10 & A31 of 1920-3 & 1933-4

• Churchward & Collett ex-Steam Railmotor Wood-panelled 59ft 6in

5 Diags.A26 & A29 of 1928-36

• Collett ex-Steam Railmotor Wood-panelled 70ft. Steam Railmotor No.93 became Diag.A26 Trailer No.212 which has now been rebuilt back to No.93. This is the subject of the Kernow model.

6 Diag.A27 of 1930

• Collett Steel-panelled 59ft 6in

7 Diags.A28 & A30 of 1930-3

• Collett Steel-panelled 62ft 8in.

Compartment Trailers:

Driving Trailers and Intermediate Trailers which often ran together.

8 ‘Clifton Downs’ Sets

• Churchward's 1913 conversions of Dean Wood-panelled Low Roof Brake Thirds and Composites into Driving Trailers and Intermediate Trailers respectively.

9 Diag.A34 of 1939

• Collett purpose-built compartment Driving Trailer.

10 Diag.A33 of 1937

• GWR alteration of Collett Diag.D117 Brake Thirds.

11 Diag.A44 of 1955

• BR alteration of Collett Diag.D117 Brake Thirds.

12 Diags.A41 & A42 of 1953

• BR alteration of Collett Diags.C66 and C75 Thirds to Intermediate Trailer.

Suggestions

13 Your suggestions for Auto Trailers with Driver’s Compartment not listed.

14 Your suggestions for Compartment Trailers not listed.

Get your thinking caps on and get voting! I will acknowledge receipt of your vote via the ‘Thx’ tick box.

You have until midnight on Saturday 18 September. However, I will stop earlier and advise if votes reach 50. I will present the results during the day on Sunday 19 September.

I look forward to your selections and comments!

Brian

(Note: These are ‘informal Polls for fun’ on Rob’s thread only and neither RMweb nor The 00 Wishlist Poll Team are specifically involved, apart from me, John, Chris and Ian in our ‘personal capacities’.)

Thank you again for a great mini-poll @BMacdermottand team and also to @gwrrobfor encouraging us all to wish-list like crazy this Summer!

The Henley on Thames branch had a few late night services that utilised autocoaches, so I can justify a purchase! Obviously on the basis that the Airfix / Hornby carriage is way past it's sell-by date. I am surprised a) that its still around and b) thats its not been replaced already.

Maybe, we will see the A26/A29 as the railmotor conversion to auto trailer as a spin off from the Railmotor being developed by Kernow model centre.

My choices are as follows:

3; 4; 5; 6; 7 all of which are right for my time span and conceivably could have been employed on services.  

Thanks again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi Brian, another interesting mini poll for us. I have very fond memories of auto trains as I used to travel to and from school on them between Castle Bar Park Halt and Ealing Broadway. We used to travel to South Greenford on games afternoons, crossing the Western Avenue to get to the sports field. Although much maligned the ex Airfix one is not too bad. For all its faults and errors it still looks like an auto coach. That said , if anA27, A28 or A30 were made, I would probably get one but it would have to be noticeably better. I'm well supplied with the Bachmann Hawksworths and have several Airfix/Hornby ones too - probably too many, but I'm not alone in that I'm sure!

Thanks again for the poll - hope we see some fruits for your labour's.

Bazza

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Brian

Thanks to you and your colleagues for organising this poll.

I run two autotrains on Granby both with Hornby trailers. One of the trains has two carriages with the loco in the centre. Is this correct or should it be loco plus two carriages?

Regardless I would be delighted to be able to replace them with updated models. It would be good and I suspect prototypical to run more than one design although I suspect only one will ever be upgraded

So I will be happy with any of:

5.  6. and or 7

Best wishes

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, john dew said:

I run two autotrains on Granby both with Hornby trailers. One of the trains has two carriages with the loco in the centre. Is this correct or should it be loco plus two carriages?

Both were common.

Chris

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
On 13/09/2021 at 17:16, The Fatadder said:

One small thing, those roof boards should surely be saying Cornish Riviera Express rather than Limited for 1947

Duly changed.;) 

DSCN8258.JPG.4593660f83846756216cbf78f44a5065.JPG

• Like 17

2 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

Especially on the Saltash Stinker in the mornings rush.

If one lived on the upland sides of Plymouth, it was called the Saltash Flyer and when really busy had two carriages each side of the engine. 

Brian.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, BMacdermott said:

Hello Limpley Stoker

You say: 5 A26/A27.

No.5  is A26 & 29 and No.6 is A27.

Is it just No.5 you want (the A26)?

Brian

Sorry for typo, Brian,

I did indeed mean 5: A26/A29

(and still a 517)

Nothing gets past the scrutiniser in this poll, I think Russia needs you!

• Funny 1

I vote for 1, 2, 6 & 7.

Although I have a few of the old Airfix versions I would buy updated models of this type (just need a decent 48xx or 517 to go with them!).

1 and 2 would include the two preserved Churchward autos - 38 and 92  - whilst 6 and 7 give the preserved Collett ones.

I would like to see any new auto coaches produced in original condition, with the three windows at the luggage compartment end, rather than the plated over version.

I haven't voted for any rebuilt steam railmotors since I would rather have one of these as a self-powered vehicle.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold

Final Call for Votes - GWR 00 Rolling Stock Mini-Poll No.14: Autocoaches

Hello everyone

A reminder that your 'Polling Station' closes at midnight tonight. Results are expected tomorrow.

If you haven't already voted, please have look back at my Wednesday posting on page 1704 for full details.

As this is the final GWR Rolling Stock Mini-Poll, I will be publishing the Overall Results - Top-to-Bottom shortly after the Autocoaches Results tomorrow.

Brian

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, brianusa said:

If one lived on the upland sides of Plymouth, it was called the Saltash Flyer and when really busy had two carriages each side of the engine. 

Brian.

And if you lived in St Budeaux it was called 'the Saltash stinker' ;)  If I remember rightly - and it's a very long time back - half fare from St Budeaucx Ferry Road to Saltash was around 3d and it was no more than a penny on the ferry back to Saltash Passage - a great adventure when you were only 10 years old

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1