A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

Looking at the late GWR version…..the one you’re presumably interested in…..the loco number which was usually there is missing from the front buffer beam but is easily rectified.Application and shade of livery etc.appears better than its Hornby counterpart. Also have slight qualms re: chimney but can’t explain it. Probably worth a punt as competitive in price .As said,the green would clinch it for me.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

21 hours ago, gwrrob said:

I see photos have finally surfaced of the forthcoming prairie from Dapol. Still undecided whether I want one of these. Any thoughts ?

https://www.Dapol.co.uk/OO-Gauge-Large-Prairie-Models-On-The-Way

1944796258_4S-041-004B.jpg.9a11eaf61cd5ae40d01534dc81d5b5bc.jpg

Not sure about the smokebox door. It looks like it's too far forward, it should sit in a recess around its circumference (word of the day?!).

Glenn

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Looking at the late GWR version…..the one you’re presumably interested in…..the loco number which was usually there is missing from the front buffer beam but is easily rectified.

You might have a dodgy ticker Mr H but there's nowt wrong with your eyesight young man.:D

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Ingrained in my conscious memory from an early age is theGWR  numeric stencilled on the buffer beam and the shed code which was usually “PPLRd.” in the case of the Large Prairies on The Vale Of Neath Line. 

Having good practice at detailed observation atm . In Cardiac Care Unit awaiting transfer for open heart surgery to repair dodgy heart vaive . Not a lot else going on really so must keep up with details & possible :jester:livery inaccuracy 

An enforced rest, but not the sort your imagined I am sure. May you have all the rest you need and a successful spell in Works. My very best wishes matey. CCU can be intimidating, however the Staff are so used to the situation you will be sorted and out in no time. 

ATB Ian.

Mad Duck.

• Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Gold
On 08/10/2021 at 15:31, Ian Hargrave said:

Ingrained in my conscious memory from an early age is theGWR  numeric stencilled on the buffer beam and the shed code which was usually “PPLRd.” in the case of the Large Prairies on The Vale Of Neath Line. 

Having good practice at detailed observation atm . In Cardiac Care Unit awaiting transfer for open heart surgery to repair dodgy heart vaive . Not a lot else going on really so must keep up with details & possible :jester:livery inaccuracy 

While your under, do you want a 5 pole motor with fly-wheel to replace the knackered X.04 and a full repaint in Railmatch's Post 1928 GWR Loco Green and post-war Lettering? :read::jester:

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, toboldlygo said:

While your under, do you want a 5 pole motor with fly-wheel to replace the knackered X.04 and a full repaint in Railmatch's Post 1928 GWR Loco Green and post-war Lettering? :read::jester:

No. My existing motor is scheduled for repair…or rewinding…..so TheWorks inform me . Thanks for the offer though 

• Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

There hangs a tale as Minnie was last seen sitting on a luggage trolley reading what could have been some timetables. Plenty of luggage but is it hers or George Rouncewell's sat there all innocently with his hands in his pockets. The airman also has a story or two having flown Typhoon's from Salcombe airfield during the war.;)

25006037_DSCN8282(2).JPG.e5a2a8e9c339f612812a635414394998.JPG

Where's Francis Tophill?

• Round of applause 1

On 07/10/2021 at 18:31, BenL said:

But maybe bonnets were swapped around in service? 

Bonnets matched valves, and valves were a part of the boiler, and Standard 2 boilers were ubiquitous, so it would be quite normal to see bonnets of a different height to what was originally fitted*. The lower valves/bonnets began to predominate as time went on. Here's 5155 (in BR lined black) at Stourbridge Junction on 10 September 1949:

5155-stourbridge-junc-10sep49-small.jpg.4724da3f58d17f1ccf35bd49d0e31214.jpg

* the nickel-steel based Standard 2 boilers kept with their engines though (e.g. the 61xx)

Edited by Miss Prism
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 7

• RMweb Gold

4 hours ago, gwrrob said:

There hangs a tale as Minnie was last seen sitting on a luggage trolley reading what could have been some timetables. Plenty of luggage but is it hers or George Rouncewell's sat there all innocently with his hands in his pockets. The airman also has a story or two having flown Typhoon's from Salcombe airfield during the war.;)

25006037_DSCN8282(2).JPG.e5a2a8e9c339f612812a635414394998.JPG

Have you seen ModelU’s new range of 1940s figures Rob?  Looks like the range contains some very good platform figure options 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Graham T said:

I really like the foliage in that shot - beautifully done!

Thanks Graham and made easier with the quality of scenic products available to the modeller these days.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2