A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Premium

When it comes to people running their MODEL on TOY train set curves the manufacturer should state something like "This is a model not designed to be used on train set curves under 2 scale chains".  Then they can moan all they like and the answer will be xD.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 7

I was lucky enough to see 18000 on its maiden run at North Road station.  It was quite exciting for we spotters on the fence to see something as radically new actually in the South West and it drew quite an audience.  We had seen the future!:good:

Brian.

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

When it comes to people running their MODEL on TOY train set curves the manufacturer should state something like "This is a model not designed to be used on train set curves under 2 scale chains".  Then they can moan all they like and the answer will be xD.

No perches included in that Mr M, sounds a bit tight to me ;)

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Sorry Clive - i originally added a 'laugh' when reading that and missed the subtlety of your post.  I have accordingly changed my tick to something far more appropriate to the underlined word ;)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
On 16/10/2021 at 22:36, brianusa said:

I was lucky enough to see 18000 on its maiden run at North Road station.  It was quite exciting for we spotters on the fence to see something as radically new actually in the South West and it drew quite an audience.  We had seen the future!:good:

Brian.

That's interesting Brian, as 6 years later I could still smell it!

P

• Like 2
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, gwrrob said:

Would it offend anyone if I ran some mixed regions parcels stock behind 18000.

Perfectly legit. Any BR era parcels train composed entirely of one company's stock would be far more suspect.

It wasn't uncommon for top link locos to work them within their roster as they often provided useful balancing/return paths at times of the day when there wasn't a passenger express to work.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Seen before we have a Hornby full brake Hawksworth and a Bachmann BG mark one. Although the pipe coupling is a great idea on paper, it's a faff to fit them to several vehicles as you have to turn them upside down to fit them. Kadee 19's are now my preferred option.

862530421_post-126-0-91276000-1378040425(2).jpg.34f3249655d265d6a9e792ebbce9c241.jpg

• Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 8

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, gwrrob said:

Seen before we have a Hornby full brake Hawksworth and a Bachmann BG mark one. Although the pipe coupling is a great idea on paper, it's a faff to fit them to several vehicles as you have to turn them upside down to fit them. Kadee 19's are now my preferred option.

862530421_post-126-0-91276000-1378040425(2).jpg.34f3249655d265d6a9e792ebbce9c241.jpg

The problem there, Rob, is that with Kadees (or most other coupler types, come to that) you lose the rigidity that makes the close-couplers work properly. I have used the Hornby/Roco style couplers as an alternative but the height difference between the Hornby and Bachmann coupler pockets introduces new challenges.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
32 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

The problem there, Rob, is that with Kadees (or most other coupler types, come to that) you lose the rigidity that makes the close-couplers work properly. I have used the Hornby/Roco style couplers as an alternative but the height difference between the Hornby and Bachmann coupler pockets introduces new challenges.

That crazy kid @Mallard60022 has been been playing with magnets... the devil's work if you ask me.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
36 minutes ago, Tim Dubya said:

That crazy kid @Mallard60022 has been been playing with magnets... the devil's work if you ask me.

Not only him but that @great northern geezer as well. Pivoting ones that look like buckeye couplings. Well beyond the understanding of this simple lad.

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

You can get height-adjustable Rocos, ref: 40287 suits the (older) Bachmann Mk.1s, however, not cheap so only used where absolutely necessary.

It's much cheaper to fit the replacement linkages from Keen Systems, then all pockets are at the same (correct) height and reach.

John

Photo attached of (inverted) Rocos fitted to Bachmann Birdcages (which do have correctly aligned pockets). I take the loops off and use them this way 'cos they look tidier.  

P1280090r.jpg

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Gold
23 hours ago, gwrrob said:

You're all quite lucky as this train has a very rare beast in a choc/cream BG. According to coach guru @chrisf BR only had a handful of these so seeing one here is a novelty. A nice contrast to the crimson/maroon and green on the other vehicles. More anon.

Apologies for the same photo angles as last week but at least the stock is different.:read:

DSCN8317.JPG.1228e97cea27fbe9932af0b32d05dbc3.JPG1392010412_DSCN8318(2).JPG.c764fc386999b4d12db7f04922598cdc.JPGDSCN8319.JPG.9b4a79be30664f099ea417851ce2ec2a.JPG

• Like 18