A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold
47 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

And some diligent shunting to reverse the order of the vans between the second and third pics!

That's what the fiddle yard is for.;) I think the LMS grey looks better next to the black of the pannier but that's art darling.

• Like 3
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Gold
On 31/10/2021 at 15:57, Captain Kernow said:

Or bol?

On 31/10/2021 at 15:57, Captain Kernow said:

Or bol?

Rowan Atkinson ?

On 31/10/2021 at 13:49, The Stationmaster said:

A distinct improvement on what went before.  Many years ago (obviously) my dad and I were trainspotting at Challow station one afternoon and 1019, newly ex-works arrived on an Up stopper running in.  It was, I think, the first Western engine that I cabbed and we were even offered a footplate trip to Wantage Road which dad regretfully declined as we were expected back at my grandparents for tea so we'd be posted , missing if we took up the offer.   Anyway what I do remember was that the Driver was full of praises for the engine which he kept saying was 'a lot better than they had been' (which meant nothing to me at the time of course).

Excellent recovery post for me to read.Many thanks Mike..After a 5&a half hour  spell on the operating table  and a complex procedure which has left me between states of inability to do anything and hallucinatory happenings……I.e. they never happened but I could sell film & tv rights for them…..I am spiritually returning to ANTB.The things in life you make the assumption you’ll always be in control of…yes even of wiping your own bum. Nil desperandum but nil by mouth. Hello again Robin and ANTB

The redraughted 'Counties' did excellent work on the North & west route where they seem to have been popular and could maintain time and I think they did pretty well in Cornwall from what I heard.  The original 1000 was definitely a very different kettle of fish.  I was on nights with one of my Running Foremen (probably during an ASLE&F dispute if I was there at that time of day) and he recounted his experience with the newly delivered 1000 when he, as the Fireman, and hos Driver were given it as their regular engine and told to get on with it - working a 'Castle' diagram (see comment later).  His Driver's opinion rapidly became that the latest thing to carry a 'County' name was as bad as the previous ones - on which he had fired.   The draughting and double chimney were a disaster - worked normally (with a short cut-off) the engine was a poor steamer; things got a a lot better if it was wound down and worked at a longer cut-off but the blast was then so strong that it pulled the sides out of the fire and it was hard work keeping it fed with coal.  So the double chimney was quickly marked down as a failure and, as we all know, was not repeated.  The single chimney versions were not so bad but were still not good steamers hence they received the attention of Sam Ell and his team and that, with the short double chimney the most obvious change, finally turned them into what they were meant to be.

So what were they meant to be?   No doubt at all about that - Hawksworth was trying to produce a 2 cylinder successor to the 'Saints' - something which could do the work of a 'Castle' but with only two cylinders so it would be cheaper to build and operate.  Alas the original was a failure in that respect but Sam Ell's efforts probably achieved Hawkworth's original objective and never overlook the fact that even on the most heavily graded sections of the WR the final double chimney version of the 10XX 'County' was allowed exactly the same loads - in the same timings - as a 'Castle'

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Good to hear that progress is progressing in the right direction Ian.  Daughter doesn't mind the bum-wiping bit of the job too much but she does take exception to those patients who think the ward staff are there to provide them with targets for their fists and kicks and she's had some bruises to prove it.

• Agree 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Ian Hargrave said:

All this talking of Counties is providing me with with a double feel good factor.Why not ? In terms of efficacy of WR power it was very much of its time.Certainly no swan but no ugly duckling either.Very much a heavy hauler which from my own observations at the time excelled on the North to West Country and Devon /Cornwall lines…I saw every single one constructed,all the Kings and most Castles.My top of this forum’s unsung heroes class I think.From what I’ve seen of models under development on this forum,I’d put my money in the Accurascale basket too

After three weeks and a 5&ahalf hour open heart surgery operation with difficulties followed by-ten days in ICU,I’m now in a main ward.Should be transferred to local hospital next weekend I’m told for further recuperation .I’ve learned the parallel values of human dignity and indignity and quite a few sides of “Our NHS” I’ve also learned to be utterly helpless and dependent on some very poor,undervalued but decent human beings ,most of them born overseas, for life’s basic needs.They  minister with a tenderness and compassion most of us should recognise and respect…..but don’t .We have great surgeons,clinicians and nurses and this is also true but would I like the daily truth of facing unwiped bums of each sex  for cleansing …..my own included ? I think not.

Have a great weekend.Life’s worth itBut please don’t post about bits falling off your latest little treasure I might not appreciate your literary output 

Heavy Overhaul with retubing complete and now we come to running in and snagging.  

Ref the Works (NHS); it is a very precious gift to us mortals and it must not be left to fade away whilst the two faced stand clapping whilst critising the very people that make it what it is. Nuff said and may I wish you a swift and smooth return to service.

Welcome back . 

Phil

Edited by Mallard60022
Trying to spell krittysizing
  • Like 4
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Gold
On 05/11/2021 at 15:50, The Stationmaster said:

Tubes (aka pipes) for a Tube wagon?

Easily made using Evergreen pack 226, 4.80mm tube and shewn here in Halfords primer ready for painting.

DSCN8379.JPG.1e9fd2923f89c47a71e53efa2a4e0379.JPG

• Like 13
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
42 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

Rule 1 definitely applies here as we see gas turbine 18000 passing 72xx class 7200.

1728622541_DSCN8384(2).JPG.0ed5cdc3c33aba762e2732830205323e.JPG

Hi Rob

Someone told me that GWR stood for Great Way Round, if so the chances of both being lost and meeting each other where they are not supposed to be are more likely than on the sensible railways on the eastern side of our country.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, toboldlygo said:

Be careful what you wish for...

5081_lhfan.jpg.5ebb39df230001cdb5ad585e1eb88358.jpg

Is that Lockheed Martin F16 Fighting Falcon? 

Or should I have gone to Specsavers... ;)

• Like 1
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Gold

Some cracking snaps and modelling Robin.. :)

Any chance of some 2-8-0 action in the the form of Collett 3864 I do believe? :D

Cheers, 

Mark

Edited by 46444
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

A heads up for the new Bachmann spares website that's just gone live and has loco bodies available for the Hall and 45xx that might be useful to people.

https://Bachmann-spares.co.uk/category/2-branchline-steam-parts/hall

https://Bachmann-spares.co.uk/category/2-branchline-steam-parts/45xx-2-6-2-prairie

• Informative/Useful 11
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Round of applause 1

22 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

A heads up for the new Bachmann spares website that's just gone live and has loco bodies available for the Hall and 45xx that might be useful to people.

https://Bachmann-spares.co.uk/category/2-branchline-steam-parts/hall

https://Bachmann-spares.co.uk/category/2-branchline-steam-parts/45xx-2-6-2-prairie

I said that on Wiggy's thread...keep up Rob ! :lol:

• Funny 4