A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Ocean Colliery.Rhondda Valley I think ? 

Which Ocean, or Ocean owned, Colliery should be the first question?  

The big one was at Treharris so very definitely not in the Rhondda.  The only collieries I can trace at Treorchy were Tylecoch, which closed in 1895 (and never reopened despite the attempts of two later owners) and Abergorki.  Abergorki Colliery was taken over by the Ocean Coal Comapny  in 1926 but was not very productive and bad geological conditions forced its closure in April 1938

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

Which Ocean, or Ocean owned, Colliery should be the first question?  

The big one was at Treharris so very definitely not in the Rhondda.  The only collieries I can trace at Treorchy were Tylecoch, which closed in 1895 (and never reopened despite the attempts of two later owners) and Abergorki.  Abergorki Colliery was taken over by the Ocean Coal Comapny  in 1926 but was not very productive and bad geological conditions forced its closure in April 1938

The other big pits in Treorchy were the Parc and Dare Collieries .My maternal grandfather worked as a winder  there in the 1920’s & 30’s. The theatre/concert hall was and is to this day known as The Parc and Dare and makes an indelible mark on the Rhondda skyline despite a hit from a German bomb with many fatalities during the war.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

Another heads up , this time from Rail's as apparently the Dapol prairie has arrived. Has anyone on here got one on order ?

https://railsofsheffield.com/blogs/news/Dapol-oo-gauge-large-prairie

Not me!

Two Hornby 61xx are enough for Henley on Thames I reckon.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

Another heads up , this time from Rail's as apparently the Dapol prairie has arrived. Has anyone on here got one on order ?

Not yet, I will likely end up with one of either Dapol or Hornby model at some stage, but probably not until they start hitting the bargin bin... 

• Like 6
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

I've got a sound fitted one on order in the hope that the sound file lives up to that shown for the Mogul & Manor. I doubt it'll turn up before the New Year though so will be interested to see impressions of the analogue model.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, gwrrob said:

I have one on order Robin but you will not want to wait for my review:D  I am not expecting to see mine under the tree!

Best wishes

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold

The overall finish ,looking at the images on both Hatttons and Rails websites is excellent. And the price is competitive too. The model’s Achilles heel IMHO is the chimney. If you can tolerate that ( and many will) then I’m sure this will please. On the positive side is the livery application and shade.We shall see.

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Ian Hargrave said:

On the positive side is the livery application and shade.We shall see.

The key to whether I'm in the market for one will be its haulage capacity as the Hornby model is wanting in this department.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
49 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

The key to whether I'm in the market for one will be its haulage capacity as the Hornby model is wanting in this department.

I had to pack my Hornby prairies with lead……hard wired the decoder which made space for more lead and a stay alive……….and I had to modify the pony truck mounting………it was definitely not a case of running them straight out of the box. At least they are now reliable runners, no stalling, and haul 4 Hornby collets ok. They still dont like some of my admittedly poor track…..wherea all other locos including the Dapol Mogul runs fine on these sections.

The mogul, incidentally, ran perfectly (apart from a top speed that Lewis Hamilton would envy) straight out of the box….the speed issue was solved with cv adjustment. The Dapol prairie is said to have the same power train of the Mark Ii mogul so I am moderately optimistic……time will tell.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium
On 23/11/2021 at 16:44, gwrrob said:

I have two (late GWR branded and BR black) on order.  I can live with the chimney.  Plates have been sat in the work-box for years along withthe plates for the manors on order and the Moguls which are packed away yet to be opened up - been busy on other projects.  (turned a 2 bed bungalow into a huge house.........)

Glad to see everyone is alive and well (ish).

Greetings from Somaliland (where there are no pirates and no pasties)

Edited by M.I.B
got order detail wrong
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

On 22/11/2021 at 17:31, gwrrob said:

A heads up on the Model Rail 16xx being reduced by  12.75 % on the rrp. It can be made a decent model with some work.

http://www.modelrailoffers.co.uk/c/1111/Bargain-Clearance

DSCN8030.JPG.3c8d63cdf5dd9e7241a2ec983343ca39.JPG

I've been searching for the correct word to use, Robin.

Considering I've just smashed the Helstonish transfer record ( £ 75 for a Hymek)

If I remember etc. On the other hand I have got it past the authorities, and without

waiting 'til she got on a train going in the wrong direction!

So, after much thought & consideration, THANKS Robin for the heads up, and

an unexpected Xmas box on it's way through Brent.

Now I just have to sort out some Hornby Hawkesworths, and some Bachman Colletts

to fund a set of Hornby N/C Colletts, whilst they are still around.

All the best

TONY

• Like 2

Looking at that image it makes me wonder why some manufacturers still leave the tyres in the natural state rather than blackening them to match the rest of the wheels ?

I think it would look a lot less "toy like" if they were blackened.

• Agree 11

• RMweb Gold

Is there something a little off in the chimney I wonder? Not a difficult fix with the Finney part at any rate.  Other than that (and the silly shiny wheel tires) it does look rather nice, the better green gives it a huge plus over Hornby's attempt.  Maybe because my fiddleyard is full, I just cant get myself interested in new loco purchases at the moment.  So unless I see a broken one at an impossible to resist price it will stay on the shelf for now (and my worked over Airfix/Hornby example (which is lacking a decoder) will do if i need one for a photo...  

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2