A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

3 hours ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Wrong war.Von Stalheim was Biggles feared opponent in the First World War.ME 109’Gustav’  flew during theSecond World War. :girldevil:

Sorry , I beg to differ .

Von Stalheim flew  in WW1 and in WW2 and survived . Biggles  rescued him from imprisonment  by the Russians in the Cold War era .

Obviously they knew the secret of eternal youth .

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 3

3 hours ago, TrevorP1 said:

I'd read mine if I could find them! I think they're in the loft somewhere. Gimlet as well I think. Kids would probably be banned from reading them these days...

Which is a shame as W. E. Jones was a feminist . Yes that’s right.” Worrals “, one of his creations , was a female pilot who , if I recall correctly  , shot down a German fighter  over England … probably while delivering a Spitfire as   an ATA  pilot .

Edited by 1466
Left out “an” .
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

3 hours ago, 1466 said:

Sorry , I beg to differ .

Von Stalheim flew  in WW1 and in WW2 and survived . Biggles  rescued him from imprisonment  by the Russians in the Cold War era .

Obviously they knew the secret of eternal youth .

That's the premise of the film where he's portrayed as a time traveller.

Not great, but worth a watch if you've got a couple of hours spare. It's easy to find on YouTube.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biggles_(film)

Also had a look on Amazon, the books seem readily available as recent editions and even on Kindle and audiobooks.

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, TrevorP1 said:

I'd read mine if I could find them! I think they're in the loft somewhere. Gimlet as well I think. Kids would probably be banned from reading them these days...

Never owned one but borrowed most (all) from the library.

• RMweb Premium

TBGo.....all the best. 

The Prairie Rob. My wallet has been fluttering a bit. Should I wait? The pic of the 61XX had me twitching as there was just the one at Laira.

Any thoughts/advice O(about the loco, not to what I should do, where I might go, or my footy team thanks):scared:

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

image.png.b3b32d4f9cd294c318e6008c11f00de4.pngSo Where are the 'nasties then? (Apart from SB Plate)

Looks OK but buyer beware as @Ian Hargrave has said elsewhere it might be a good idea to get the retailer to check the fit of parts is correct before posting. I've found a very nice colour rail photo of 5164 at Brent in 1960 with the late crest too.

1456013025_5164in1960.jpg.4c364de15d672b2bf124fc008d6e1f09.jpg

• Like 13
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Depends on whether or not you find the gap between the running plate and the tank acceptable.In this example it is at least even so it might not bother you. 

If he’s reading this best wishes for a good outcome to TBG . Posting this also as still a guest of the NHS ……gaining in stability and  mobility…even to the luxury of being to shower myself and wash my hair this morning  without assistance . Take care my friend 

Oh yes, I see that gap. I don't really need one of these but nostalgia begs me to weaken.

P

• Like 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3