A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, BenL said:

Just to follow up on the suitability of the Accurascale GWR Siphon announcements for post-war GWR modellers, I've now had a look at some of the relevant books I have available.

First up, O33 2924 - According to the Slinn and Clarke Siphon book, she wasn't converted to ambulance train service during the war and therefore would have been in original O33 condition post-war.

@County of Yorkshire suggested that given her 1940 build date, she would likely have had a grey rather than white roof, which was my assumption too given the GWR's wartime switch to grey roofs on coaching stock. But @Accurascale Fran suggested he had a photo of 2924 as built with a white roof. In Russell Coach Appendix Vol 2, Fig 522, there is a pic of 2937, which was built in the lot following 2924's between 1940-45, and it has what clearly looks like a grey roof to me - apart from the shade, it's clear that it doesn't have the area below the roof rain strip painted brown, which was a characteristic feature of Siphon G roofs painted white; once the GWR switched to grey, the whole roof went grey, both above and below the rain strip.

The caption describes this image as showing 2937 as outshopped in 1947 so if Russell has got the year right, this suggests the pic was taken after its first post-build repaint and that the roof might not have been painted grey when originally built. Either way, it suggests that even if some Siphon Gs built in the early war years were emerging with white roofs, they were repainted grey during the course of the war and possibly into the early postwar period.

Anyway, the short of it is that by my reading, Accurascale's 2924 is in appropriate physical condition for post-war GWR running, but would have likely acquired a grey roof by then - so that's one pre-order from me and a polite request to @toboldlygo to get his grey paint out for me in early 2023 :mail: (2924 is listed in Slinn and Clarke as having a 'Penzance and Nottingham NE' branding added in August 1946 - the removal date is not noted but an opportunity for someone to produce a transfer for anyone who wants to include this!)

As for O33 2789, Slinn and Clarke list her as being converted to M34 after wartime ambulance train service, so she's not suitable for post-war running - presumably she can be renumbered to another of her lot that wasn't converted to ambulance service during the war.

And lastly O59 W2780, which as I believe @The Fatadder suggested could be suitable for post-war GWR running with the removal of the 'W' in front of the number. Unfortunately as I think @The Fatadder has already noted, Slinn and Clarke don't provide the completion dates for the O59 and M34 conversions, but it suggests these were done soon after the end of ambulance train service and therefore presumably under the GWR. There are two pics in Slinn and Clarke of M34s with GWR monograms, and one pic of a 059 which just about looks like it has a GWR monogram under the grime. This again suggests the conversions  were completed in GWR times. I really would have thought they would have received grey rather than white roofs though, given  that the GWR continued its wartime grey roof policy into the postwar period. Certainly the photos of the M34s and O59 mentioned above look like they have grey roofs, although it's hard to be sure given the layers of grime. Personally, I would be making another request to @toboldlygo for a respray to a grey roof :help:  So I'm very tempted to add W2780 to my preorder, I'd just like a clearer idea of when she would have emerged as an O59 to be sure she'd have seen GWR action before BR took over...

Anyway, apologies Robin and all Nodders for what's turned out to be a long post, I hope it's of vague interest/use to someone other than me!

Cheers,

Ben

Nurse, fetch the Vaseline!:jester:

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 3

This whole scenario is mindful of another similar incident in another scale.  The prewar O Hornby Princess with an accentuated sloping firebox.  AFAIK there was not the uproar that this version has caused and even now they are in great demand at a high price in spite of the unfortunate  F/B slope!  I suspect O gaugers are/were  more easily satisfied.:good:

Brian.

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, brianusa said:

This whole scenario is mindful of another similar incident in another scale.  The prewar O Hornby Princess with an accentuated sloping firebox.  AFAIK there was not the uproar that this version has caused and even now they are in great demand at a high price in spite of the unfortunate  F/B slope!  I suspect O gaugers are/were  more easily satisfied.:good:

Brian.

Tinplate is another country, they do things differently there. In some cases, even counting the wheels was optional! :jester:

But 1930s Princess buyers didn't have the option of a competing product without the error at a comparable price.

I have no doubt that if Dapol's were the only Manor in town, more would be willing to put up with it....

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

..... I have no doubt that if Dapol's were the only Manor in town, more would be willing to put up with it....

Surely that would take us back to the dark days of Triang Hornby and Ringfield motors...

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Talking of the unlamented Dave Jones,Robin will remember that fateful day at the O2 Arena when he lectured the assembled gathering on how he was going to beat the system with his new models and retire rich to the Caribbean.What utter fools we all were to be taken in by this man. But then,he dangled before us the prospect of such delights to come we were captivated. 

Never met Dave Jones but that description seems to apply to the current Prime Minister!

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, Neal Ball said:

Surely that would take us back to the dark days of Triang Hornby and Ringfield motors...

And Hornby tinplate, which had been cited as having a similar problem which was/is tolerated.

A lot can change in 85 years, including what does and does not constitute an acceptable scale model.   

John

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
58 minutes ago, Bulwell Hall said:

Never met Dave Jones but that description seems to apply to the current Prime Minister!

The emperor’s new clothes come to mind here… in both cases…

39 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

And Hornby tinplate, which had been cited as having a similar problem which was/is tolerated.

A lot can change in 85 years, including what does and does not constitute an acceptable scale model.   

John

Hmm… well thanks goodness for Accurascale then…. My money is on their Manor

• Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

As someone who is impartial, the Accurascale would be, without hesitation, the one I would go for. It looks 'right' and the paintwork seems somewhat 'richer'. 

In short, it looks like a proper scale model. 

The Dapol offering sadly doesn't. 

Rob. 

I have an Accurascale model on pre-order. From what I've read and seen so far, I think I've made the right choice.

• Agree 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

I have no doubt that if Dapol's were the only Manor in town, more would be willing to put up with it....

As was the case 30 years ago with the Mainline model. It filled a gap and did its job nicely but mine no longer works properly (it's got a replacement Bachmann split chassis) so it's time for a change.

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 1

16 hours ago, McC said:

the water filler lid even opens. Just in case you might want to model the tender being filled. 

Not recommended as it'll bu&&er up the electrics !  :jester:

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 6

I have been preparing a list of GWR wagons in numerical order from what information that I have to hand. The habit of giving odd vacated numbers to new wagons means that quite a lot will be missing, but I hope it will be of use to others as well as me. The low numbers appear to have quite a few duplicate numbers at the same time, which I find confusing. I suspect some will be from the various coaching stock number systems, which I am also working on for NPCCS, but I do not know which. Would Mr GWRrob allow me to put it up here for the experts on this site to help me, please?

Lloyd

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Thanks Mr Rob.

I will attach the first section, numbers 1 to 49999. There are a lot of details that I can still fill in, e.g. some lengths, widths, etc., as it is a work in (slow) progress, but at least it is a start. Any information and/or advice greatly welcomed - PM me with it. I have been through the wagon diagrams list in Atkins et al, History of GWR Goods Wagons, and the HMRS book on Iron Minks, and the GBV and Shunter's truck allocations on GWR.org, but my library is a bit limited.

GWR Wagons 0-49999.xlsx

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Nothing to do with the above, not certain if it has been posted elsewhere in the Parish News but I thought it would be useful to advise the following -

https://www.martynwelch.com/news/

After many years Martyn has sadly decided to "hang up his airbrush and paint brushes" due to back problems. If you haven't looked at his work on the website then may I suggest you do so as it will no longer exist after the end of January 2022. 

In my humble opinion he is up there with the very best and also an extremely nice chap to boot.

His superb work bringing models to life will be sadly missed, certainly by myself.

G

Edited by bgman
a word
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

30 minutes ago, Miss Prism said:

The spreadsheet was 40000 to 49999.

Go to the bottom of that sheet, and select the range that you want. They are in separate pages for 1-9999, 10000-19999, 20000-29999, 30000-39999 and 40000-49999. The other two documents are similarly divided.

Lloyd

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Oh Ar$£, I haver just seen that 4 Manors were shedded at Reading from '62 till '64.

Flood diversion, Holiday Express to Exmouth or FootX to St. Jame's Park (Ex Central), via SOSJ, needs to be catered for yet again.

Botheration.

P

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, bgman said:

Nothing to do with the above, not certain if it has been posted elsewhere in the Parish News but I thought it would be useful to advise the following -

https://www.martynwelch.com/news/

After many years Martyn has sadly decided to "hang up his airbrush and paint brushes" due to back problems. If you haven't looked at his work on the website then may I suggest you do so as it will no longer exist after the end of January 2022. 

In my humble opinion he is up there with the very best and also an extremely nice chap to boot.

His superb work bringing models to life will be sadly missed, certainly by myself.

G

Bit of a loss there. Bless him.

P

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

I have just seen that 4 Manors were shedded at Reading from '62 till '64.

Their duties included an early day trip to Redhill and return, previously the preserve of 43xxs, which was rather jolly for those of us at school in Dorking, the line bordering our playing fields and tennis courts. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
45 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

Oh Ar$£, I haver just seen that 4 Manors were shedded at Reading from '62 till '64.

Flood diversion, Holiday Express to Exmouth or FootX to St. Jame's Park (Ex Central), via SOSJ, needs to be catered for yet again.

That's fortunate although I'm not so lucky in the fact that the earliest I can find a Manor allocated to NA is 09/51.

7805, 09, 12 and 13.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, gwrrob said:

That's fortunate although I'm not so lucky in the fact that the earliest I can find a Manor allocated to NA is 09/51.

7805, 09, 12 and 13.

Afraid so. Which was the period of their piloting to North Road. My first sight of one was at N/A in August 1953. An eventful month in an eventful year. Her Maj.was crowned two months previously just after Hilary and Tensing reached the summit of Everest,conquering it for Team GB in Imperial splendour .In August we listened to the radio to hear Dennis Compton’s boundary win the Ashes for England. Ironic when you consider the massacre that is currently being played out in Australia. Oh,and I had passed my 11 plus and was off to Grammar School next month.

• Like 11
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

Their duties included an early day trip to Redhill and return, previously the preserve of 43xxs, which was rather jolly for those of us at school in Dorking, the line bordering our playing fields and tennis courts. 

You must be sidekick as I was going to ask you that. Good job Southern Crews were used to them then!!!!!

I remember you saying that along the way. That line had a good variety of engines over the years. When I worked in Reigate, opposite the Station early 91, there were 47s and 33s along with the Carts. 

Thanks Dudds.

16 hours ago, gwrrob said:

7805, 09, 12 and 13.

57 is much easier Rob. I don't think, without checking, any were born before 1948?

P

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1