A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

Here's another view of the Ratio kit built cattle dock awaiting its occupants .I can imagine this being a busy place in the days of Kingsbridge fair week.

Does anyone know how to change this b&w photo back to colour please.

post-126-0-66038500-1364056541_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Here's another view of the Ratio kit built cattle dock awaiting its occupants .I can imagine this being a busy place in the days of Kingsbridge fair week.

Does anyone know how to change this b&w photo back to colour please.

Hi Robin,

Depends how you have done it. If you have discarded all the Colour information, you probably won't be able to do it. Do you have Photoshop?

• RMweb Gold

Hi Robin,

Depends how you have done it. If you have discarded all the Colour information, you probably won't be able to do it. Do you have Photoshop?

I don't have Photoshop and I'm pretty sure I used the program Irfanview to change it.Never mind just a thought.

• RMweb Gold

And here's a photo of what the real Brent station site looked like last weekend. I'm glad to say that the Up Main line was relaid in time for the Up Sleepers to pass on time in the early hours of last Monday morning 18/3/13:

post-57-0-99791100-1364124804.jpg

Seeing the overgrown, closed station site today, I know I'd rather see it as Robin has depicted it!

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Do you not have the original colour photo saved somewhere?

No but I've found another shot instead. ;) Due to lack of planning on my part I found that I had to compromise on the docks position.It sits adjacent to a point which of course is totally wrong and the drainage channels needed to be trimmed more than they should to fit to enable the point to throw correctly.Cruel in close up I'm afraid but a lesson learnt.Plan ahead next time.

Thats a nice photo from Captain Kernow and I'm sure I'll rustle up a similar viewpoint on the layout.

4547 has just run around the b set and will couple up ready for the return to Kingsbridge.The down platform looks very bare on this early shot and the misplaced goods shed is in the far distance too.

post-126-0-02166200-1364127294_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-63103900-1364130724_thumb.jpg

Edited by gwrrob
  • Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Very nice job of the station building Robin....

PM me the b/w 'photo and I will see if anything can be done for you.

Regards,

Edited by Neal Ball
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I just can't get the 'empty' space!

Well, seeing one track missing last week got me thinking - 'that's how it would look if the line had been singled'..! Now, here's what a worse nightmare might have looked like, supposing 'Beeching Part X' had taken place, with no railways west of Exeter... :O  :O

post-57-0-08424100-1364145532.jpg

Apologies for crude 'photoshoppery'...

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Well, seeing one track missing last week got me thinking - 'that's how it would look if the line had been singled'..! Now, here's what a worse nightmare might have looked like, supposing 'Beeching Part X' had taken place, with no railways west of Exeter... :O  :O

attachicon.gifIMG_7069_100%Beeching.JPG

Apologies for crude 'photoshoppery'...

Where's the don't like button when you need one.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

And here's a photo of what the real Brent station site looked like last weekend. I'm glad to say that the Up Main line was relaid in time for the Up Sleepers to pass on time in the early hours of last Monday morning 18/3/13:

attachicon.gifIMG_7069.jpg

Seeing the overgrown, closed station site today, I know I'd rather see it as Robin has depicted it!

Tim

Is that the goods shed on the right, in 'alternative use'? Another builders yard?

David

• RMweb Gold

Right on to the painting of the station building. Now I was ready to slap on some brick red from a Humbrol tin when a discussion with the afore mentioned builder had him suggest using Humbrol Gloss Orange! :O What.

So I bought a tin along with some http://www.phoenix-paints.co.uk/catalogsearch/result/?q=matting matting agent and a dash of black mixed it together gave the finish you see below.I used acrylic for the mortar joins doing one face and leaving it to dry overnight.I practised on the chimneys first I might add.

I then used watercolour pencils to pick out various bricks as discussed here http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/14557-picking-out-brick-colours/ The roof was done a similar way but using greys and Bob's your Aunties live in lover.This was weathered too.

Since these photos were took a few Tiny Signs G W R adverts adorn the rear wall .

post-126-0-08888800-1364147482_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-78213500-1364147537_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-03169000-1364147579_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-81365900-1364147593_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-31666800-1364147699_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-67239100-1364147818_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-40686100-1364147927_thumb.jpg

Edited by gwrrob
  • Like 18
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

Super modelling Rob makes my modified ready to plonk stuff look inferior.

81C

Not at all as I have plenty of RTP buildings myself.I just haven't shown them yet. ;)

• RMweb Gold

This is why I like the GWR, the buildings look as good as the stock :-)

This is a fascinating reach back to the early days of your layout, Robin!

• RMweb Gold

Tim

Is that the goods shed on the right, in 'alternative use'? Another builders yard?

David

David - the goods shed is now our local dentists, called 'Primrose Junction'. However, there is a builders yard close by, but on non-railway land (albeit accessed via the old goods yard).

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Right on to the painting of the station building. Now I was ready to slap on some brick red from a Humbrol tin when a discussion with the afore mentioned builder had him suggest using Humbrol Gloss Orange! :O What.

So I bought a tin along with some http://www.phoenix-paints.co.uk/catalogsearch/result/?q=matting matting agent and a dash of black mixed it together gave the finish you see below.

Fascinating. A very good orangey brick finish too, I shall try this formula next time. I've been using Precision Early BR freight stock bauxite as a base colour, but I do like the effect you've achieved.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

David - the goods shed is now our local dentists, called 'Primrose Junction'. However, there is a builders yard close by, but on non-railway land (albeit accessed via the old goods yard).

Absolutely amazing. Must be unique!

David

• RMweb Gold

Yes, quite an interesting experience sitting in the main shed area, now the waiting room, waiting for the torture chamber hygenist...

Yes waiting for a scale and polish and I swear I just heard a 4575 prairie shunting. ;)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Evening Robin,

I can't believe I missed this.

A truly excellent idea starting a layout thread on Brent.  It's always lovely seeing photos of your layout but it's great to get an insight into the construction behind it.

As you know I stay in Brent regularly and like others have said it's great seeing your Brent as opposed to the Brent of Tim's current pictures. 

Beautifully executed with a real attention to detail-the GWR lives post war in Brent courtesy of your layout. I'm going to enjoy reading further instalments.

Am I right in thinking 7804 'Baydon Manor' is due through soon on an local to Exeter? ;)

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Am I right in thinking 7804 'Baydon Manor' is due through soon on an local to Exeter? ;)

Cheers,

Mark

Thanks for your kind words and blimey a loco request.Now I know how Gilbert feels on Peterborough North. :no: I'm sure I can rustle that up as well as a Grange or two....

• Like 2