Jump to content

A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.


Recommended Posts

90323 cannot be a ROD. They only ever had 4 digit numbers on the WR (3020 TO 3099 with gaps and exchanges of numbers as temporary locos were withdrawn and scrapped) and none WR engines were numbered in the range 636xx to 63901. 90328 sounds like another WD to me - see above.

 

Alastair M

  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The WWI ROD 2-8-0s are discussed in David Maidment's "Great Western Eight Coupled Heavy Freight Locomotives" book - Chapter 6.

 

He's a bit vague about shed allocation in BR days, excepting Carmarthen where he has specific allocations described for the period up to 1958. The numbers he lists are always in the 30xx range, even in BR days.

 

Mike.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, A Murphy said:

90323 cannot be a ROD. They only ever had 4 digit numbers on the WR (3020 TO 3099 with gaps and exchanges of numbers as temporary locos were withdrawn and scrapped) and none WR engines were numbered in the range 636xx to 63901. 90328 sounds like another WD to me - see above.

 

Alastair M

90323 is a WD Austerity 2-8-0 .

 

The GWR ROD numbers extended into the 6000 range, though 6000-6003 were part of the on hire fleet and returned before the Kings cam along.

 

Mike Wiltshire

  • Informative/Useful 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, KeithMacdonald said:

Banbury (for example) had 70801, 90579, 90313, 90192, 90485, 90313, 90572, 90716, 90585, 90466, 90148

 

Maybe one question is which (of all the depots that had WD/8) was furthest south-west?

Both Newton Abbot and Laira had allocations of the Austerity 2-8-0,  70001, 77210, 77214, 77241 at Newton Abbot and 77161, 77196, 77255, 77294, 77325, 77421, 78671 and 78717 at Laira

 

Would be very interested to see photos of any of these to confirm details...

 

Edited by The Fatadder
  • Informative/Useful 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, Ribird said:

 I’m glad you showed us this @gwrrob! I was thinking on getting an O4 instead, but definitely getting a GWR ROD now and still be somewhat right (if I can’t find the right one for the area)

 

For reference the Bachmann model we used was 31-127.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Boring, but I only saw one WR ROD and that must have been late 1958 or very early 1959, at Plymuff. I think it was the last one in service? It was L.E. heading for North Road, Smokebox first at Mutley. No idea what it was doing or where it was going. Could have been turned on the Table just west of the Station of course and popped down to Millbay? Who knows?

P

  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, toboldlygo said:

 

Yes 'we' did and some mild surgery was needed to remove the smokebox number plate ;) 

So I take it, black livery with no insignia?
 

How hard was it to remove and clean up the smokebox plate? 
 

  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • RMweb Gold
On 22/11/2020 at 10:59, toboldlygo said:

 

Well we know the plates didn't get lost, I proved that when I ordered the same plates a few months later and your replacement set turned up the same day as mine :devil:


 

Hi Robin

 

With us both having similar fleets, ANTB is brilliant at motivating me to actually get round to dealing with all those little jobs languishing at the bottom of the list......thank you for getting me started on re numbering my GWR ROD!

 

Having sorted the number....two digits away from you....3003 Chester 1947.....two questions:

 

Did all the GWR retained RODs have “GWR” on the actual number plate?

 

In 1947 were they all marked with the white cross indicatot?

 

Best wishes from a very wet Vancouver

  • Friendly/supportive 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Ribird said:

So I take it, black livery with no insignia?
 

How hard was it to remove and clean up the smokebox plate? 
 

 

Yes Black, no lettering of coat of arms.

 

It's not difficult as the plastic is quite soft (and don't used a Stanley Knife), you'll need No.10, 11 & 17 X-Acto blades (or similar), a square needle file, sanding sticks and some TET.

  • Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, toboldlygo said:

 

Yes Black, no lettering of coat of arms.

 

It's not difficult as the plastic is quite soft (and don't used a Stanley Knife), you'll need No.10, 11 & 17 X-Acto blades (or similar), a square needle file, sanding sticks and some TET.

Now to just find their shed allocations ;) 

  • Friendly/supportive 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, john dew said:


Did all the GWR retained RODs have “GWR” on the actual number plate?

 

In 1947 were they all marked with the white cross indicatot?

 

 

Yes John, they had GWR on the plates and the Modelmaster ones have it etched. Fox and 247 do them but not all the range. They were filthy so you can't tell from photos regarding the white cross.

 

1930's view of 3008 shewing cabside plate.

 

270356449_gwrt314(2).jpg.c5ee17f3c9c538eaae88f9e52f362f74.jpg

Edited by gwrrob
add a photo
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Reading the past few post about ex WD locos, how can anyone get a WW1 ROD mixed up with a WW2 Dub-dee?  Especially GWR modellers when all GWR engines looked like each other be they members of the King/Castle/Star/Saint/ Hall/ Grange/Manor class or them cute panniers.

 

Making my way to the naughty step, can I look at pictures in my DMU book while I wait?

  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 13
  • Friendly/supportive 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • RMweb Gold
On 25/11/2020 at 15:31, Clive Mortimore said:

Reading the past few post about ex WD locos, how can anyone get a WW1 ROD mixed up with a WW2 Dub-dee?  Especially GWR modellers when all GWR engines looked like each other be they members of the King/Castle/Star/Saint/ Hall/ Grange/Manor class or them cute panniers.

 

Making my way to the naughty step, can I look at pictures in my DMU book while I wait?

"Please do not insult the GWR, as a smack in the mouth often offends."

  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 8
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Mikkel said:

For the mogul fans: I came across this photo of 4302 in lined GWR livery. Not something you see every day.

 

https://pictures.abebooks.com/inventory/30116412747.jpg

 

(Apologies if it has been mentioned before, a search turned up nothing).

 

It doesn't look lined to me, you can see the first boiler band, just behind the first handrail knob on the boiler, I can't see any lining on it. I think it's just the way the weathering is streaked.

 

 

  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Mikkel said:

For the mogul fans: I came across this photo of 4302 in lined GWR livery. Not something you see every day.

 

https://pictures.abebooks.com/inventory/30116412747.jpg

 

(Apologies if it has been mentioned before, a search turned up nothing).

I’d never noticed an elongated centre splashed before. Did the 43xx have larger wheels?

Link to post
Share on other sites

The elongated splasher was to house the vacuum pump. A feature on 4300-5389.

 

The first batch (pre WW1) of moguls 4301-3419 were fully lined out. Not 4300 which was not built until 1916.

 

There is an image in the OPC Kenning collection where the lining shows up.

 

Mike Wiltshire

Edited by Coach bogie
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • gwrrob changed the title to A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.