A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, County of Yorkshire said:

Ho hum - I've just treated myself to a Bachmann pannier in wartime black instead!

Well played Sir and I'll be getting another if and when funds permit.

• Like 5
  • Round of applause 1

21 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

Yes folks, due to a combination of Governmental policy, the current lockdown restrictions and the need to measure some bricks at my dentists, I found myself in the village this morning, so I undertook to initiate a quick quality control test on the usual pasty supply, to ensure that quality control is satisfactory.

20210105_121043.jpg.d7a4f39d59320a9197d03d6d8f82887b.jpg

I am happy to confirm that the quality is still eminently satisfactory.

Is it just me or can you see a face there? 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, toboldlygo said:

they'd of gone bankrupt by now :banghead:

They'll go bankrupt if they keep producing SR luggage vans, how many is it now. :rolleyes:What about a 21st century siphon G instead.:dance_mini:

• Agree 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

They'll go bankrupt if they keep producing SR luggage vans, how many is it now. :rolleyes:What about a 21st century siphon G instead.:dance_mini:

Erm those Luggage Vans turn up all over the regions as you well know former Grand Inquisitor and they sell out :P 

Someone keeps telling you pork pies about that ;) 

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

Staying in Brent, I couldn't understand yesterday what this latest bit of frippery in the village was still doing open, but I gather that such places can still trade if it's for the animal's welfare.

20210105_112955.jpg.9bc9959f7e7ab5006fd7aab1f22c494f.jpg

Looks a bit rough..

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, County of Yorkshire said:

Don’t hang around Rob - most box shifters have sold out; had to go onto second page of Google to get mine; and it was their last one! 

CoY 

Several retailers do still have them in stock with a few having four of them. There's one for example at the Bodmin [and Wenford] shop if anyone wants to support a preserved railway in these hard times for retailers.

https://bodminrailway.co.uk/shop/Bachmann-32-199-gwr-pannier-tank/

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold

Currently on the workbench I'm building the newly re-released kit from Chiver's [ Five79] for the LMS long low wagon to diagram 2069.

I'm wondering if the lugs or clasps on the sides are locations to tie in loads, any info most welcome.

s-l1600.jpg.6fcf4fa4fb522920e0ebd43e8ad0b3e2.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, gwrrob said:

Currently on the workbench I'm building the newly re-released kit from Chiver's [ Five79] for the LMS long low wagon to diagram 2069.

I'm wondering if the lugs or clasps on the sides are locations to tie in loads, any info most welcome.

Don't cut them off, just clean up the flash.

Though the moron who put sprue connections on a top edge of a side panel needs burning at the stake, then hanging, drawing and quartering and then just to make sure shooting. ;) 

Edited by toboldlygo
text
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

Staying in Brent, I couldn't understand yesterday what this latest bit of frippery in the village was still doing open, but I gather that such places can still trade if it's for the animal's welfare.

Didn't that used to be an electronics/computer and embroided garments emporium just up from the Pack Horse Inn? ... 

Blimey! Times change.

Edited by 46444
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Brent is indeed fortunate to have business enough to attract people down town these days.  Most places in this situation seem to be antique shops or cafes.

BTW, What happened to 'South' Brent, as it was once known by?

Brian.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

16 hours ago, toboldlygo said:

Looks a bit rough..

Pity we can't see the roof.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, gwrrob said:

They don't look substantial enough for a load, but perhaps a sheet rope.  

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

On 05/01/2021 at 15:20, The Fatadder said:

Bit of a sorry state when the only GWR offerings in the 2021 Hornby range are generic 4 wheel coaches.   I don’t think I saw a single older release in any form of GWR either, just two more BR liveries on the new prairie.

I was hoping for a Saint and Toplight coaches, but no.

The P2 seems to take precedence over 'Lady of Legend', perhaps next year.

Glenn

• Like 1
  • Agree 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, gwrrob said:

I think they are the door stops, that drop against the vertical projections below the sides when the sides are lowered.

• Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, brianusa said:

Brent is indeed fortunate to have business enough to attract people down town these days.  Most places in this situation seem to be antique shops or cafes.

BTW, What happened to 'South' Brent, as it was once known by?

Brian.

Well, the shop did become a pretty useless antiques 'emporium' for a year or so after the computer shop moved out (the computer shop is now in the old Police Station, next to the only roundabout in the village). The antiques place was only open for about 5 minutes a week (I think they mainly traded 'on line'), but for the last few months it has become this dog parlour type of place.

I once know someone who worked in a dog parlour called the Woof & Blow, by the way.

And it's still called South Brent, that's what's on all the signs, the maps and the Parish Council literature etc.

'Brent' on it's own was only really ever a railway name, from what I can make out.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, toboldlygo said:

Don't cut them off, just clean up the flash.

Though the moron who put sprue connections on a top edge of a side panel needs burning at the stake, then hanging, drawing and quartering and then just to make sure shooting. ;) 

I say old bean. One has missed the trick here. One has to be very careful when cutting orf said Sprues or, as intended by the Design Clever technique, one obtains the basis for a bashed up/work worn top edge look for one's Wagon. Cunning stuff.

Hugh Ar$£

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
54 minutes ago, 31A said:

I think they are the door stops, that drop against the vertical projections below the sides when the sides are lowered.

They are the Stops as Steve thought. Look like a nice wagon. Most ex Chivers/new Five 79 are excellent and easy to build.

Chivers Ling or Tunny (CBA to confirm) behind local Yard Staff at SJ (ignore the Cider that has leaked from their Special Modelu Pants and frozen in this nasty weather and the washed away ballast that isn't there!)

998555201_20201006_120118(1).jpg.8ec5966d2e0244059dafe539e0c2e345.jpg

P

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

They are the Stops as Steve thought. Look like a nice wagon. Most ex Chivers/new Five 79 are excellent and easy to build.

Chivers Ling or Tunny (CBA to confirm) behind local Yard Staff at SJ (ignore the Cider that has leaked from their Special Modelu Pants and frozen in this nasty weather and the washed away ballast that isn't there!)

998555201_20201006_120118(1).jpg.8ec5966d2e0244059dafe539e0c2e345.jpg

P

I thought they were your assistants helping you in your corner of Hell :jester:keeping the ballast nice and hot for the damned souls to walk over for eternity as punishment for not ballasting their layouts properly and/or getting glue all over a loco they were working on:devil:

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, 31A said:

It's very apt that you posted Steve as it was your suggestion for this wagon to carry the load I had visions for. Seen on the Oxford tank wagon thread, your very nice lowfit with Climax pump load, as seen below. My idea is a pair are being delivered as new from the Midlands to Plymouth on the LMS long low wagon, in the grey NFS colour. I have a family connection with this company albeit after they were taken under the British Leyland banner.

1318448087_31Alowfit.jpg.d1866f4111fb9fee684fdff8588c5e50.jpg

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
50 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

It's very apt that you posted Steve as it was your suggestion for this wagon to carry the load I had visions for. Seen on the Oxford tank wagon thread, your very nice lowfit with Climax pump load, as seen below. My idea is a pair are being delivered as new from the Midlands to Plymouth on the LMS long low wagon, in the grey NFS colour. I have a family connection with this company albeit after they were taken under the British Leyland banner.

1318448087_31Alowfit.jpg.d1866f4111fb9fee684fdff8588c5e50.jpg

Thanks Rob, I did wonder whether it was the result of our PMs the other day! :D :good:

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
On 05/01/2021 at 23:57, County of Yorkshire said:

Ho hum - I've just treated myself to a Bachmann pannier in wartime black instead!

Talking of black panniers and I see the MR 16xx is due to dock at Felixstowe in the next fortnight.:dance_mini:

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1