A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

Notwithstanding the fact that many of us have been looking forward to this model for some time, I, and the Membership Committee of the Kernow Towers First Class Pannier Lounge really, really hope that this join line is not typical of the production locos:

1306241679_Rapido16XX.jpg.c61d028453d877c274ebae76f25548f8.jpg

• Agree 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Captain Kernow said:

Notwithstanding the fact that many of us have been looking forward to this model for some time, I, and the Membership Committee of the Kernow Towers First Class Pannier Lounge really, really hope that this join line is not typical of the production locos:

Oh dear.  Why would you do that? 

Rob. 

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

It's not that it's not fixable, some filler and a bit of time, but that would be just so tedious!

Not to mention a huge risk to all of that river detail while sanding the filler.

Still at least it’s not 6ft too short like the recent Flangeway/Footplate Salmon 

Edited by The Fatadder
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, The Fatadder said:

Not to mention a huge risk to all of that river detail while sanding the filler

Yes, indeed. I'd be tempted to use Humbrol filler from a tube, which is soluble with cellulose fillers. I found when building my whitemetal 16XX that I could plaster the filler on, right up and around rivet detail, then carefully 'wash' it away with a paintbrush, loaded with cellulose thinners.

With a plastic body, however, much more care would be required and it might not be for the faint hearted. A complete re-spray of the bunker rear would probably also be required.

But let's hope it's not like that with the production models.

• Informative/Useful 6

• RMweb Gold
40 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

Yes, indeed. I'd be tempted to use Humbrol filler from a tube, which is soluble with cellulose fillers. I found when building my whitemetal 16XX that I could plaster the filler on, right up and around rivet detail, then carefully 'wash' it away with a paintbrush, loaded with cellulose thinners.

With a plastic body, however, much more care would be required and it might not be for the faint hearted. A complete re-spray of the bunker rear would probably also be required.

But let's hope it's not like that with the production models.

Interesting, not an approach I’ve tried before.  However you’ve now got me thinking.  I am currently hiding the Vallejo water based filler, I wonder if it may be possible to use the same approach (but with water).  Will give it a try on some offcuts or plasticard.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

6 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

Looks like you will need to add some strategically placed fire irons!  But I agree - it is rather disappointing and unnecessary because otherwise it looks very nice.

But this one's not for me - it makes a change to be able to say that its too modern - now if it had been a 2021..................

Gerry

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, brianusa said:

You guys are awfully fussy!  If I had such a loco in my OO days, I'd have considered myself fortunate.

Brian:unsure:

We are still fortunate to have a loco that in virtually all other respects appears so good, but because it is so good, anomalies like that just stand out all the more (assuming that this is what the actual production models look like, hopefully not).

• Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
49 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

We are still fortunate to have a loco that in virtually all other respects appears so good, but because it is so good, anomalies like that just stand out all the more (assuming that this is what the actual production models look like, hopefully not).

Its just seems such an odd place to have a joint.

Is it to cater for different bunkers/ top lamp iron / handrail arrangements ? 

Ron. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

No mention of the Accurascale release yet?

just seen on the GWR Modellers Facebook group that Accurascale have announced a Manor, and very nice it looks too

https://accurascale.co.uk/collections/gwr-7800-manor-class?fbclid=IwAR0xMO-ofiCom8X9Ams5YxlhVgeVgdHNp7xo7TUcVtEZVkPu4ucJB3iVxc4

While I would have naturally preferred a Bulldog, it does look a rather nice model.  And based on their Modern Image work it will be absolutely top class.  At £169 (and with little chance of discounting) it’s certainly at the upper end of the price range, and given they were not common in Devon pre BR (and I already have an unpowered Mitchell example) I am not sure whether I will be opening my wallet.  But if the funds are there when it hits try shelves I will try and support it in the hope they follow up on its success with more GWR releases.

More interestingly will be if this means Accurascale will now end up looking at producing pre nationalisation rolling stock to go with it.

Edited by The Fatadder
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, The Fatadder said:

No mention of the Accurascale release yet?

just seen on the GWR Modellers Facebook group that Accurascale have announced a Manor, and very nice it looks too

https://accurascale.co.uk/collections/gwr-7800-manor-class?fbclid=IwAR0xMO-ofiCom8X9Ams5YxlhVgeVgdHNp7xo7TUcVtEZVkPu4ucJB3iVxc4

Hi Rich

Accurascale seem good at announcing locos, nearly 3 years since the all singing and dancing Deltic was announced, but to date all we have had from them is a few wagons (and very nice models).

Please don't get me wrong I like the guys who make up the Accurascale team, they were even polite about my stretched Lima Deltic. It just concerns me when companies display what they intend to make without any goods actually being available. Are they outstretching themselves without any income?

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

Featuring a well known friend of many who gives an excellent account of the locomotives history.

G

Edited by bgman
  • Like 4
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, checkrail said:

Do you know something we don't Robin?

No but I did tell everyone to get saving. I knew something was/is going to be announced.

• Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 2

4 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

No but I did tell everyone to get saving. I knew something was/is going to be announced.

Now I wonder what the new tooled item for Bachmann will be on Wednesday. If it is said Manor, we just need Hornby to announce theirs! They already think the Bachmann 9F is out of date (which is a great model despite its older age).

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Rich

Accurascale seem good at announcing locos, nearly 3 years since the all singing and dancing Deltic was announced, but to date all we have had from them is a few wagons (and very nice models).

Announced the 24th November (2018)(or a little over two years ago) Deltic has been delayed and we have documented the reasons. However we have shown samples of everything announced, and in the three short years since launch, delivered no less than 9 lines to customers hands, with several more imminent. 

Watch this space in the coming days for extensive news about Deltic and many, many finished samples to share.

Edited by McC
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 6

12 minutes ago, McC said:

Announced the 24th November (2018)(or a little over two years ago) Deltic has been delayed and we have documented the reasons. However we have shown samples of everything announced, and in the three short years since launch, delivered no less than 9 lines to customers hands, with several more imminent. 

Watch this space in the coming days for extensive news about Deltic and many, many finished samples to share.

I will say, and a lot of others, Accurascale products seem to be above par against other manufactures! We all eagerly await everything of yours! I will say your Manor will be the better one of the Manors! Do really like all of the tooling variations and die cast parts!

How much separately fitted parts will be there in a detail pack (like how much are we able to change on the loco once we bought it)? Or is that still tbd?

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Ribird said:

How much separately fitted parts will be there in a detail pack (like how much are we able to change on the loco once we bought it)? Or is that still tbd?

Included will be:

• Steam heat pipes
  • Dummy screw couplings
  • Tender 'goalpost' for overhead warning label
  • Front of cylinder details (replacing parts removed for 2nd radius curves)
  • Detailed blanking plate for front of pony truck
  • Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Wow!

A new 'Manor', I never saw that coming. I didn't expect any steam outline from Accurascale, so this is a lovely surprise. Even though it's waaay too big for 'Bethesda Sidings', because of who is making it, I'll be hard put to resist one of these!

Well done all!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

I didn't expect any steam outline from Accurascale, so this is a lovely surprise.

I was hoping they would go for something but never thought it would be the Manor. A big thanks to Mike @The Stationmaster for his help in getting this made.

GB_and_MR_reaized_600x600.jpg.f73011ba96d419fe4bc738005e9109f5.jpg

• Like 10
  • Agree 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2